Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Distant Networks and your opinions

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,045 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

Some people have no idea what the Constitution says, so they think it says the government can't do anything that affects them negatively.

• WB4CS likes this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

We should be able to watch anything we want on satellite TV. To me these out of town local option. no being available is so backwards and a hit on out constitutional rights of freedom to watch what we want to.

Which article or amendment says you have the right to watch an out of market local channel? Just curious, I must've missed it. 

The local stations are the ones that hold this stuff up. Don't expect it to change, either. The only alternative is elimination of local TV and the networks turning into national channels like the rest of cable. 

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,523 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

We should be able to watch anything we want on satellite TV. To me these out of town local option. no being available is so backwards and a hit on out constitutional rights of freedom to watch what we want to.

remember that your rights end when the right for the other starts. so your right to watch free TV ends when the right for the local station to charge you begins.....

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 398 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

It is ridiculous that the FCC can't make Comcast give us the missing CSN channels but they can tell us what local channels we should get. Local channels are still needed and provide advertising for local businesses and we should help keep that cost low. HOWEVER, there needs to be something done about specific network availability (CW is not available everywhere and a pain to get, and then it's not HD) and others. I receive a different lineup OTA than I do with Directv but that doesn't matter. I would like to see this:

A more-regional DMA system. If your market is missing a channel (or doesn't have it in HD), bring it on from a neighboring DMA.

Take into account the OTA coverage patterns of specific channels and overlay that map with the DMA. I shouldn't be stuck with a terrible ABC affiliate that I PAY FOR while I get two others OTA for FREE that are great. But I am. Basically, take a coverage areas, above, say 0 dB on the TV fool charts, and put in the zip codes. The spotbeam maps will cover most if not all channels. For areas with little or no OTA coverage, use a DMA-style system, but regional as noted above (within the limitations of spotbeams.)

Fix the AM21 mess and allow all subchannels in with a guide, even if said guide only have 2 hours from the OTA signal. I know there are workarounds, but it really doesn't need to be that way.

No one should pay for TV and not have CBS, Fox, NBC, ABC, CW, Univision, and ION - ALL IN HD. Those are basic channels that most people get for free OTA. Telemundo, My Network, Unimas, and perhaps a few others are close to being on that list too. (I know Directv has IONeHD, but many cable companies do not have any ION). 

The more options for locals the better. Quality neighboring markets that send signal for free should be able to compete for my tax dollars the same as another channel that the government forces on me. What happened to capitalism/competition?

Edited by ejbvt, 16 October 2013 - 08:33 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#25 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

It is ridiculous that the FCC can't make Comcast give us the missing CSN channels but they can tell us what local channels we should get. Local channels are still needed and provide advertising for local businesses and we should help keep that cost low. HOWEVER, there needs to be something done about specific network availability (CW is not available everywhere and a pain to get, and then it's not HD) and others. I receive a different lineup OTA than I do with Directv but that doesn't matter. I would like to see this:

A more-regional DMA system. If your market is missing a channel (or doesn't have it in HD), bring it on from a neighboring DMA.

Take into account the OTA coverage patterns of specific channels and overlay that map with the DMA. I shouldn't be stuck with a terrible ABC affiliate that I PAY FOR while I get two others OTA for FREE that are great. But I am. Basically, take a coverage areas, above, say 0 dB on the TV fool charts, and put in the zip codes. The spotbeam maps will cover most if not all channels. For areas with little or no OTA coverage, use a DMA-style system, but regional as noted above (within the limitations of spotbeams.)

Fix the AM21 mess and allow all subchannels in with a guide, even if said guide only have 2 hours from the OTA signal. I know there are workarounds, but it really doesn't need to be that way.

No one should pay for TV and not have CBS, Fox, NBC, ABC, CW, Univision, and ION - ALL IN HD. Those are basic channels that most people get for free OTA. Telemundo, My Network, Unimas, and perhaps a few others are close to being on that list too. (I know Directv has IONeHD, but many cable companies do not have any ION). 

The more options for locals the better. Quality neighboring markets that send signal for free should be able to compete for my tax dollars the same as another channel that the government forces on me. What happened to capitalism/competition?

Rules for locals on satellite are codified in law. The FCC has nothing to do with it. You literally should call your Congressman.

#26 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 398 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

Rules for locals on satellite are codified in law. The FCC has nothing to do with it. You literally should call your Congressman.

FCC = government. Does the FCC have nothing to do with the TV stations they license?

I also meant to write "spending money" not tax dollars in my last paragraph.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

FCC = government. Does the FCC have nothing to do with the TV stations they license?

The FCC writes regulations that follow the law. The law is written by Congress. Yes, it is all one happy government but one needs to know which windmills to tilt at. In this case, if one does not like the rules that are codified in law one should direct their ire at Congress.

That is what broadcasters, satellite companies and others are doing. They are talking to Congress. Trying to get the next version of the law to be more favorable to their side of the argument.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

I also meant to write "spending money" not tax dollars in my last paragraph.

The FCC doesn't really have much to do with retransmission, no. Licensure for broadcast isn't related to retransmission agreements with MVPDs. "The Government" isn't one big monolithic thing.

#29 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

,,, "The Government" isn't one big monolithic thing.

Now that's funny! :hurah:

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#30 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

It would be great if east and west feeds of just the network broadcast could be put up. I remember watching FOX wild feeds in the C band days, the channel would light up at 8, national commercials only, where local ads usually run, a network logo or network ads would run. Once the programming was over a 10, there was a FOX logo until the next day or next national network broadcast. What a great way for Directv to make $$$ and keep our bills reasonable...just noticed the upcoming price jump for Premier today...

#31 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

There is no legal way for this to happen as the law currently stands. DirecTV has to provide you with your locals if they provide them, and if they don't and you can get them OTA, they cannot provide you DNS. It's a law, not a DirecTV policy.

trust me.. just because D* has locals, YOU DON"T HAVE TO HAVE THEM..I know this from personal tonight's viewing.. and every day for the past 14 years.. 

#32 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

That's because you did it 14 years ago and are grandfathered, since then a new rule went into effect that requires them.

Now, the only way you can signup for a package without them is if you live in a market that has their locals on 119 and have line of sight issues or DirecTV doesn't carry locals for your area. If you fall under those categories the packages are $3 cheaper.

Edited by KyL416, 17 January 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,045 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

Once Directv is able to provide locals for all markets, and without needing 119, that means they won't allow anyone new to get distant networks? Or would they drop them entirely?

#34 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

There's still small markets that don't have full time affiliates of all of the big 4 networks so they have a remap of one the DNS stations as part of their locals. There's also some counties considered "unserved" because of the shape of the spot beam compared to the size of the market. Not to mention the RV, Marine and Air subscribers who are eligible for DNS in some cases.

Edited by KyL416, 17 January 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

If Aereo wins at SCOTUS, that could change some things.  It would reduce the power that local stations have over Directv, Dish, TWC, etc. in negotiations.

#36 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,045 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

If Aereo wins at SCOTUS, that could change some things.  It would reduce the power that local stations have over Directv, Dish, TWC, etc. in negotiations.

Only if those providers made deals with Aereo or set up their own Aereo like service. Relying on streaming for live content like sports is a risky proposition for a provider like Directv that doesn't provide internet service, because they'll be the ones that get the complaints when performance is subpar, but be unable to do anything about it.

It makes more sense for cable, if it is all contained on their internal network they can insure it reaches every customer's home with the desired level of quality (assuming they also deliver that customer's internet)

#37 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

It would be great if east and west feeds of just the network broadcast could be put up. I remember watching FOX wild feeds in the C band days, the channel would light up at 8, national commercials only, where local ads usually run, a network logo or network ads would run. Once the programming was over a 10, there was a FOX logo until the next day or next national network broadcast. What a great way for Directv to make $$$ and keep our bills reasonable...just noticed the upcoming price jump for Premier today...

I used to have. C Band dish set up. Then I gave the set up to a friend. That was neat if the wild feeds that are on there. I miss the ability of order the channels individually or a programme group. My best company I used was Turner Satellite. I do wish these was such things available on the DISH and Direct TV dishes.

Programming satellites on the CBAND Dish was not all that easy. But eventually that was figured out.

This was like back in 1990. I wonder if CBand offers just as much today as back then.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#38 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Once Directv is able to provide locals for all markets, and without needing 119, that means they won't allow anyone new to get distant networks? Or would they drop them entirely?

As KyL416 noted, there are reasons to keep them.  There are short markets that do not have all of the big 4.  For that reason alone, there will always be a need for DNS feeds until something changes that.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#39 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

I agree with you somewhat with the only caveat being the need for local weather.  I live in an area notorious for severe weather. There is no way I would depend on national weather feeds to protect myself or my family.  While I agree that local news blows on  most "normal" news days (cat stuck in tree, dog found in dumpster), when disaster strikes or emergency weather threatens, locals are the best option. 

Local news blows.. There are too many Court shows, Judge fill the name in. Just use your iPhone for weather.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#40 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

This was like back in 1990. I wonder if CBand offers just as much today as back then.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Nope. C-Band (and Ku-Band) are mostly a vast empty sea of nothingness. There are still a few wild feeds, religious, and foreign programming in the clear (both digital and analog), and some of the network feeds are still there. A majority of feeds and "pay" TV channels have gone to digital encryption and are not able to be viewed. The last time I checked, there are about 10 Pay TV channels available for subscription but the number of the available channels has been dwindling down each year. 

Ku-Band is still pretty good to use as a hobby, but don't expect it to replace your cable/D*/E* as your primary source of TV entertainment. 

spam firewall