Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Distant Networks and your opinions

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

This was like back in 1990. I wonder if CBand offers just as much today as back then.

Man I miss those days, $25 a month for all the sports channels and all pro sports were included with that, there was no such thing as Center Ice, Extra Innings, League Pass.  Sports has gotten so far out of hand now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

Too bad the channels that were on CBAND are not available on the smaller dish.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#43 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:54 AM

Maybe if the OTA networks were convinced that a significant number of subscribers just don't watch the local affiliates any longer, they would help get the law changed.  I'd like very much to be able to watch the national versions of NBC/CBS/ABC/PBS, but since I can't, I've given up watching the old broadcast networks entirely.  But my circumstances may well be unusual.

I can't receive anything OTA, due to local topography on Oahu, but DirecTV provides HD versions of the local affiliates for all the old networks, plus MeTV, so I could watch them if I chose.  I don't watch them, because they kill me with commercials (their times run behind the hour so they can insert extra commercials), and also because in the DirecTV schedule, they're all clustered together down at the bottom, where I don't ordinarily even see what they have on.  And I'm not interested in local news, games, or special events (other than the rare hurricane or tsunami).

Edited by GregLee, 23 January 2014 - 06:54 AM.

Greg

#44 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

At the very least the  law should be changed so that if your satellite provider doesn't provide locals in HD then you will be allowed to get the national feeds in HD. Where I live all of the locals are in SD only and I can get only one local station in HD OTA. It's just wrong.

#45 OFFLINE   tbirds118

tbirds118

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:15 AM

At the very least the  law should be changed so that if your satellite provider doesn't provide locals in HD then you will be allowed to get the national feeds in HD. Where I live all of the locals are in SD only and I can get only one local station in HD OTA. It's just wrong.

Why should you be able to receive what those in your town without DIrecTV can't get?

#46 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,904 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:34 AM

Why should you be able to receive what those in your town without DIrecTV can't get?

Because he would be paying to receive those channels in HD . 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#47 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,384 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Maybe if the OTA networks were convinced that a significant number of subscribers just don't watch the local affiliates any longer, they would help get the law changed.

The law is something that was rammed through by the cable companies and local affiliates, not the networks. The National Cable Television Association (NCTA) spent almost $18.9M in 2012 lobbying Congress. The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB; the local broadcast stations) isn't easily ignored.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#48 OFFLINE   tbirds118

tbirds118

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Because he would be paying to receive those channels in HD . 

He made no mention of paying for them.

if your satellite provider doesn't provide locals in HD then you will be allowed to get the national feeds in HD. Where I live all of the locals are in SD only and I can get only one local station in HD OTA. It's just wrong.

They don't have HD channels in his local area. It's not like DirecTV is refusing to carry them.

#49 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

I am advocating changing the rules so that anyone who can't get those channels in HD could get the national feeds. That would apply to Dish and cable subscribers as well. Why wouldn't you want me to have the ability to watch broadcast network programming in HD?

#50 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

They don't have HD channels in his local area. It's not like DirecTV is refusing to carry them.

Some people can get local Salt Lake City channels OTA via translators located in my area, but my house is located in a neighborhood that cannot get those signals due to the area's topography so they are not available to me OTA. We have one full power local NBC affiliate, KENV,  transmitting from another location which I can get in HD OTA. Directv doesn't carry KENV for some reason but carries the local Salt lake City NBC affiliate instead in SD. The local Salt lake City channels that I only get in SD are available in HD to Directv subscribers who are located closer to Salt lake City. I believe that the same situation applies to Dish subscribers. I can't get cable in this location either. However even though my area is considered a part of the Salt Lake City coverage area Directv's HD spot beam doesn't reach far enough so we are stuck with SD only. I am advocating that people in our situation be allowed to get the national network feeds in HD. It seems like a reasonable enough request to me.

As far as "DirecTV is refusing to carry them" goes, actually they refuse to set up their spot beam so it reaches far enough so that people in my area can get locals in HD. Perhaps it is not technologically feasible to do that. I don't know. But again that's why I am advocating being allowed to get the national feeds in HD.

#51 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,384 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

I am advocating changing the rules so that anyone who can't get those channels in HD could get the national feeds.

The franchise model dictates that you get what they give you. HD is by no means mandated.

Your best bet is to work with your local affiliate and make sure there's always letters in their FCC file.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#52 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

The franchise model dictates that you get what they give you. HD is by no means mandated.

Thanks. I am aware that it works that way but that is what I am advocating should be changed. Lets change the model so that anyone who cannot get locals in HD would be allowed to get the national feeds in HD. It seems like an easy concept to me.

#53 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Thanks. I am aware that it works that way but that is what I am advocating should be changed. Lets change the model so that anyone who cannot get locals in HD would be allowed to get the national feeds in HD. It seems like an easy concept to me.

Its just not the same as someone not getting an affiliate signal at all.  The local affiliate would never agree to let a provider import a distant signal to their customers just because they are not broadcasting in HD.  I don't think this would have a chance in hell of passing.  Here is a good example for you, there is no CW affilaite in the Joplin/Pittsburg DMA and I get the DNS feeds for CW.  Neither are in HD.  Now what?  In some ways this reminds me of people who live in the middle of nowhere and want cable internet.  I hate to say it but its not available for everyone.  Good luck getting anyone to want to move on this for you.  I am not even sure I would be on board with it and I would want them in HD as well.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#54 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

It is may be an "easy concept" to change an FCC rule. It is even an easy concept to change the US Constitution. But that does mean that either are easy to do in practice.

If you want to try and change it, feel free to write the FCC, write your congressmen, heck write the President while you're at it. But even if a lot of people agreed with you, and were willing to do the same, you're going to be up against millions from lobbyists spent by those who want things to stay as they are now for various reasons. Guess who wins that battle, the letter writers or the people writing checks?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#55 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

Well I guess that unless I move I will be stuck with SD forever. God bless America. Thanks for your insights guys.

#56 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,384 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

When you develop a working model that describes how your national carrier fairly compensates your local franchise for lost viewership (or provides local ad insertion), you can freely call it "easy". Until that time, it is damn hard.

Someone bought the right for your viewership and they must be compensated by anyone who creates a path around them.

#57 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

Well I guess that unless I move I will be stuck with SD forever. God bless America. Thanks for your insights guys.

sorry it wasnt what you wanted to hear.  I am guessing in the future there will be even more options.  Things like Aereo could become available to you or maybe they figure out how to increase the spot beams, there are several things that could go you way.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#58 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

Most people don't realize that the out of market stations don't particularly want you to watch their channel, either.

The networks want you to watch the local station so that it remains profitable.

Your local stations want you to watch them locally. NYC advertisers see no benefit from me watching their ads in KY.

So since the NY and LA stations, the local affiliates and the networks themselves all want you to watch your local station, I don't see the situation changing much.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#59 OFFLINE   Rob37

Rob37

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

I wish they would allow us to choose 1 Distant Network City based on our Time Zone. Like if you lived in the Eastern Time Zone You Could Choose 1 City to Subscribe to like New York, Boston, or if you lived in the South, Atlanta. If you lived in the Central Time Zone you could subscribe to get the Chicago Locals or St. Louis. Mountain Time Zone You could subscribe to Denver or some othe city. If you live in the Western Time Zone You could subscribe to Los Angeles locals or San Francisco or if you live farther north in the West Time Zone you could subscribe to Seattle Locals.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#60 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

By "they" do you mean the FCC? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...