Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Nest product - Nest Protect

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

It's their version of a smoke and carbon monoxide detector.

http://www.nest.com/...h-nest-protect/

It ha a couple nice features. If you have a Nest thermostat, sensors in Protect will detect activity and assist in auto away. If it detects carbon monoxide, if the home has a oil or gas furnace, it will have the thermostat turn the furnace off. A wave will hush it if you get a little too much smoke when cooking, and it will warn you in advance of the alarm going off.

Not available yet, but will retail for $120, battery or hardwired.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

NIce! I will be getting one for sure.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,492 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Kinda pricey but I do like the integration.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

I preordered two, may add a third later. Actually was $129, free shipping.

And the smoke detector is photoelectric, not ionization. Interconnect uses 802.15.4 (Zigbee) when there is no wifi. The thermostats also have the Zigbee hardware. Of course smartphone features etc won't work, but the devices will be able to talk to each other.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:10 AM

Shoot, i cant find many zigbee stuff in general. Want to read my smart meter with zigbee.  Interesting that this new device has it in it.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

I love the fact the I dont have to use a rag anymore. seriously, why it took so long for someone to come out with a fix for this #firstworldproblem

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

We are supposed to change batteries on our smoke and carbon detectors yearly. Don't wait for the low battery.
Since people have not done this, some manufacturers have devices with 10 year batteries now. I think Kidde makes one.

And if you need a few, $129 each vs $15 each at home depot is super duper expensive.

Most important, if any CO detector sounds an alarm, get outside immediately. Run. Call 911 from your cell outside. Don't go "well the furnace is off so I am OK now". Stoves, fireplaces, generators, cars in garages left running and other things generate CO. Most people don't know they can't smell it so they stay inside and get in trouble.

If this gets more people to put in fire and CO protection devices that's great but cost may scare many folks off.

#8 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

Shoot, i cant find many zigbee stuff in general. Want to read my smart meter with zigbee.  Interesting that this new device has it in it.

Zigbee is very confusing.  There are 9 different "profiles".  Further complicating the issue is that the smart meters use proprietary versions so that you can't read them.   Each utility has their own proprietary protocol.  

For home automation, z-wave guarantees interoperability.  They don't allow proprietary versions.  All the major Telco's (Verizon, AT&T) and security companies (Honeywell, ADT, alarm.com, DMP, DSC, Protection1, Devcon) adopted z-wave for home automation use.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

We are supposed to change batteries on our smoke and carbon detectors yearly. Don't wait for the low battery.
Since people have not done this, some manufacturers have devices with 10 year batteries now. I think Kidde makes one.

And if you need a few, $129 each vs $15 each at home depot is super duper expensive.

Most important, if any CO detector sounds an alarm, get outside immediately. Run. Call 911 from your cell outside. Don't go "well the furnace is off so I am OK now". Stoves, fireplaces, generators, cars in garages left running and other things generate CO. Most people don't know they can't smell it so they stay inside and get in trouble.

If this gets more people to put in fire and CO protection devices that's great but cost may scare many folks off.

A generator, at least the ones I know of, should never be used inside. But I do think there is a benefit. It would be nice to know there is a potential issue even when you aren't home, and at that point, the furnace is a prime suspect. The system turning off the furnace at that point prevents CO from building up even more.

I also would think that the majority of people know that it is odorless.

One other important item I saw today

http://venturebeat.c...-after-7-years/

#10 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

Right generators should never be used inside.  But what happens is that during power outages people use them too close to the house.   In garages or on terraces or even on a porch right by the house.   Or the neighbor is pressure cleaning and the wind is blowing into your home. The  fumes slowly fill the house.   Bottom line, if a detector goes off, get out.  Then call FD.  Let them come and give the all clear.

Regarding what the majority know or not know, what if 60% know and 40% don't know?  Many people do not know that the deadly fumes are completely odorless.  They have to told to leave the home and they refuse.  Often times they state the detector is bad and plan to ignore it.   This is from first hand info.  Too many people have no idea.

And thanks for the link.  Makes the cost point doesn't it?  I thought the detector elements have 6 year life but that article said 7.  Worthy of more research.

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Zigbee is very confusing. There are 9 different "profiles". Further complicating the issue is that the smart meters use proprietary versions so that you can't read them. Each utility has their own proprietary protocol.

For home automation, z-wave guarantees interoperability. They don't allow proprietary versions. All the major Telco's (Verizon, AT&T) and security companies (Honeywell, ADT, alarm.com, DMP, DSC, Protection1, Devcon) adopted z-wave for home automation use.

sce has a web page for you to register a zigbee device to read your meter.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#12 ONLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,170 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

We have owned a Nest Thermostat for over year and have been incredibly pleased so I'm pretty sure that at least one of these will be sitting under the Christmas Tree this year.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

I looked up a Kidde smoke/CO detector, and while it doesn't disable itself after 7 years, it chirps twice every 30 seconds. 

It sounds like we need some people to go through a refresher course on basic science and chemistry.

#14 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

sce has a web page for you to register a zigbee device to read your meter.

Yes but it wont connect to any other zigbee devices. It's a standalone proprietary device. So if you get a Nest thermostat and light switches from amazon they won't function as a system.

Also where I live we can go online and just look at our usage so the utility doesn't charge or sell us anything.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Looks like there are people that think CO is heavier than air, and that a ceiling mounted detector is useless. So I guess there are likely more than I'd like to admit that don't know it is odorless.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yes but it wont connect to any other zigbee devices. It's a standalone proprietary device. So if you get a Nest thermostat and light switches from amazon they won't function as a system.Also where I live we can go online and just look at our usage so the utility doesn't charge or sell us anything.

Yeah I can do that too but it won give me instant surge. Only the next day. Hard to pinpoint specific things and how they re affecting your power draw.

#17 ONLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,170 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

It is a little pricey but the units from Kiddie or First Alert don't have all those fancy features either and that is what the people are going for.  People upgrade their cell phones every few years not for any other reason but for new features. 

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

Protected By... spam firewall...And...