Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I am replacing my WD20EADS HD and Mk-1 enclosure.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wiggtown

Wiggtown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

My drive has reachrd full capacity and the MK-1 enclosure is now much louder than when I first bought it a few years ago. I just biught a new WD20EURS Drive from Anazon and a Thermaltake Max 5 enclosure. I placed the WD drive in the enclosure and unplugged my R22-100 receiver, connected the esata cables to the enclosure and receiver then plugged in the hd drive and powered it up for a full 2 minutes before I plugged the receiver back in. My R22 receiver will not recognize the EURS drive even after several unplugging and spinning up the drive again and plugging back in the receiver. Any help that anyone can suggest will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

This is probably not the correct answer for the HR22.  But, because something similar is currently occurring with HR44 Genies, I'm going to mention the work around that people are using for that.  Plug your Thermaltake into your computer and Initialize the hard drive (you don't need to format it).  Then try connecting it to your DVR again.

#3 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Don't know what the MK-1 is, do you mean Antec MX-1?  If so, is the noise caused by the MX-1 or the disk inside it?  I have two MX-1 with WD20EURS drives inside them.  One is connected to my HR44-500, the other to my HR21-700.  Both MX-1s are over 5 years old with continuous service, and both are very quite.  I prefer the MX-1 to the Thermaltake because it cools the drives and extends their life.

You could try what Bill Broderick suggested, but when I got my HR44-500, it immediately recognized a new WD20EURS disk in the MX-1 enclosure.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

I replied to your other post on the exact same topic but apparently you didnt understand the reply..I couldnt get an EURS drive to work in that enclosure either...you responded to the post by quoting your original post....

http://www.dbstalk.c...y-r22-receiver/

I know the drive is fine because it is working fine on the same dvr in a different enclosure.  My current conclusion is the TT MAX 5 doesnt work wit the EURS drives....

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

My current conclusion is the TT MAX 5 doesnt work wit the EURS drives....

Based on personal experience, I disagree.  I'm using a WD20EURS with a TT Max 5 on on of my HR24's and a WD30EURS with a TT Max 5 on my HR44.  Other than first needing to initialize the WD30EURS before it would be recognized by the HR44, they have worked perfectly.

Edited by Bill Broderick, 09 October 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

I couldnt get it to work on a 20 or a 22.....so it may be a more complicated solution.....maybe its a combination of the EURS in a TT MAX5 on a 20 and/or 22 model....I dont have a 24 or a Genie to be able to test it on....I'm still on older models as they still work fine, and I havent decided to bite the bullet to spend all the extra money to replace an HR20 and 2 HR22's yet....

#7 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,453 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

I replied to your other post on the exact same topic but apparently you didnt understand the reply..I couldnt get an EURS drive to work in that enclosure either...you responded to the post by quoting your original post....

http://www.dbstalk.c...y-r22-receiver/

I know the drive is fine because it is working fine on the same dvr in a different enclosure.  My current conclusion is the TT MAX 5 doesnt work wit the EURS drives....

There was a problem with the EURS drives and the docks wasn't there?  That got fixed IIRC.  

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

I never experienced any problems but I also didnt buy the docks right away as I still had several perfectly functioning MX-1's.....I love the convenience of the docks, but I much prefer the cooling of the MX-1's....I thought I would try a TT MAX5 since the MX-1 appeared to be discontinued....

#9 OFFLINE   Wiggtown

Wiggtown

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Are there any particular steps that I should follow when connecting my drive to the pc in order to initialize the drive. Thanks

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

I tried about 5 times to get the TT MAX 5 to work with my HR22 and it was a no go..hopefully you will have better luck with your R22, which I believe is really an HR21 is disguise.  While I may not always have the best advice on this subject, I have been using an eSATA setup since external drive support was turned on for the HR20's back in early 2007 so I have a little experience with it.  I couldnt get it the combination of the MAX 5 and the EURS to work on a 20, or a 22.

#11 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,453 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

I never experienced any problems but I also didnt buy the docks right away as I still had several perfectly functioning MX-1's.....I love the convenience of the docks, but I much prefer the cooling of the MX-1's....I thought I would try a TT MAX5 since the MX-1 appeared to be discontinued....

Thinking back, it was the EARS that were problematic.  That's been fixed.

Rich

#12 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,453 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for all the advice. Are there any particular steps that I should follow when connecting my drive to the pc in order to initialize the drive. Thanks

Unplug the power cords on both the HR and the external device.  Plug in the eSATA to eSATA jumper cables to each device.  Now plug in the power cord for the external device and let it spin up for about a minute or so.  Now plug in the HR and let it boot up. That's all there is to it.  I that doesn't work, you've got a problem with, probably, the external device.

Rich

#13 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,453 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

I tried about 5 times to get the TT MAX 5 to work with my HR22 and it was a no go..hopefully you will have better luck with your R22, which I believe is really an HR21 is disguise.  While I may not always have the best advice on this subject, I have been using an eSATA setup since external drive support was turned on for the HR20's back in early 2007 so I have a little experience with it.  I couldnt get it the combination of the MAX 5 and the EURS to work on a 20, or a 22.

I wonder if your problem is an isolated one or it's the Max 5 that's causing the problem.  I trust you've tried the EURS in a dock?

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   Wiggtown

Wiggtown

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

I have not tried it in a dock but I do have the MX1 enclosure that I wanted to swap out because it is very noisy now. Someone else suggested maybe it is my previous drive that is making all the noise so I am planning to remove the old drive from the MX1 and turn it on without the drive connected to hear if that might be the noise issue or not. If the noise was caused by the old drive I will attempt to install the EURS drive in the MX1 and see if that works satisfactorily.

#15 OFFLINE   Wiggtown

Wiggtown

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

For the heck of it I put the EADS drive that I was swapping for the EURS drive into the TT Max 5 enclosure. The EADS drive had previously been connected to my R22 receiver using the MX-1 enclosure and worked flawlessly. However the EADS drive in the TT Max 5 enclosure was not recognized by the R22 eventhough I have used this EADS drive in the MX1 non stop for the last 2 or 3 years. So at this point I would have to say that in this case the problem I am having indeed appears to be with the TT max 5 enclosure

#16 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,453 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

For the heck of it I put the EADS drive that I was swapping for the EURS drive into the TT Max 5 enclosure. The EADS drive had previously been connected to my R22 receiver using the MX-1 enclosure and worked flawlessly. However the EADS drive in the TT Max 5 enclosure was not recognized by the R22 eventhough I have used this EADS drive in the MX1 non stop for the last 2 or 3 years. So at this point I would have to say that in this case the problem I am having indeed appears to be with the TT max 5 enclosure

Send it back and get another one.  That's what I'd do.  It's probably a faulty enclosure, doesn't mean that every TT Max 5 will do the same thing...or will it?  

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

Have you tried the MX1 enclosure yet?

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#18 OFFLINE   dtparker

dtparker

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

I have a TT Max 5 with a WD20EURS working without issue on my HR23.  Don't have a 21 or 22 to test it on.  Using  a Star Tech eStata cable.

Nice enclosure, imo.

Dave

DirecTV since 10/29/1999

Slimline-5, SWiM 8, MRV with DECA Broadband

H24-700    - AM21n - Toshiba 29" LED  - Exercise room

H23-600   - AM21n - DECA  - Sony 55" SXRD - Bonus Room

HR23-700 - AM21 - DECA - 2TB e-Sata - TT Max 5 - Sony XBR 32" - Bedroom

HR24-100  - AM21 - 1TB e-Sata - WD MyBook AV - Sony 40" W3000 - Living Room

#19 OFFLINE   Wiggtown

Wiggtown

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

Didn't try the MX1 with the EURS yet because the fan has gotten much louder than when I first purchased it. Can't keep it on 24/7 if the tv is not on because of the noise so I have to reboot the receiver every norning when I get up. I realky need to teplace the enclosure so I ordered a TT docking station from Amazon. Just waiting for it to arrive later this week

#20 OFFLINE   Wiggtown

Wiggtown

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Just connected the TT BlacX docking station to my R22 and EURS drive that I couldn't get to work in the Max 5 enclosure is up and running fine with no issues so far.

spam firewall