Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ex Dish owner considering Hopper and DIY install

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pwkpete

pwkpete

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hi All,

I'm considering going back to dish - just can't stand Time Warner price and equipment and would have considered UVerse, but ATT is too incompetant to tell me if or when it will be at my house, even though they were just installing it 4 houses away less than .25 miles. - just get the standard moronic, "our computers say it is not available for you and we can't get any further information"...

I was a Dish customer for 12 years, right before they picked up the HD channel service and integrated that and wouldn't offer them to me - so I left.

Geez, I really do dislike them all...

<Rant off>

I installed all my old Dish systems, looking to see what I need for the Hopper from an antenna/LNB standpoint. I see these LNB's matched with 1000.2 west arc from different vendors:

• pro plus
  • triple
  • triple plus

Looking for a cheap setup that will drive 1 hopper/2 joeys at this point. I sold all my previous hardware so I am starting clean.

From what I can tell with the Hopper it needs the 1000.2 setup but I see them with different LNB's all over. Is there one out there that will get it done on the cheap?

I am also going to do an in ground installation, I don't recall when the diameter of pipe I used previously was for mounting the dish on, anyone know?

Answers might spur further question, but appreciate any ideas, thanks!

-P

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

Suggest if you want "cheap" that you call DISH and use their free install for new customers I believe they won't allow self installs on leased equipment, you would have to spend several hundred dollars to buy the equipment.

#3 OFFLINE   pwkpete

pwkpete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

I was planning on buying. Long term it makes sense when you look at what they are charging for lease and I already have the house prepped for coax. You don't get the cheap channel package for the 1st year of the 2 year contract, but after 2 years I calculate being ahead based on the prices I've found for hardware....

I want to get the dish itself setup and then I'll grab the equipment...

If I did the lease, they would give me the antenna and LNB so I wouldn't be asking about it :)

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

You pay the same price per month whether you lease or you own... so I'm not seeing where the savings would be.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   pwkpete

pwkpete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

" Right now" ™ there is a 29.99 top 120 deal for 1 year... 20$ less than regular price in the 2 year contract - 2nd year full price. If I purchased equipment I couldn't get that deal and would pay the regular price.

The savings starts adding up quick after the 2nd year (300/year for 1 H & 2J)... Whereas if you were leasing would still be paying that fee...

#6 OFFLINE   pwkpete

pwkpete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

Back to the topic at hand, anyone able to help with my initial questions?

#7 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Your logic for saving money makes no sense!!! You pay nothing more per month to lease the equipment and you lose the discount on programming. Plus you have to pay upfront to buy the equipment.

#8 OFFLINE   pwkpete

pwkpete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

Not correct, you are charged 12/Hopper and 7/Joey / month on lease.

0 if you own - do the math

Paying for the 'deal' is worse than getting a cell phone on the '2 year plan' as the hardware doesn't go out of style as fast and Dish controls the entire market

I talked to dish reps and did the math - I know the #'s

Can anyone answer my initial questions?

Edited by pwkpete, 08 October 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   foghorn2

foghorn2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

Back to the topic at hand, anyone able to help with my initial questions?

Sure, try ebay.

"I will save you everyone. and then you can pay me when I'm done" -Stuart Adamson

#10 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:30 AM

Are you absolutely sure this is correct?  Dish doesn't charge me anything for my leased hopper.  They do charge me a fee for a "Whole Home DVR Service" of $12/mo which I have read has to be paid in order for you to use a Hopper.  In other words, you're paying for things like the guide, software upgrades and telephone support questions that crop up.  And those costs exist whether you buy or lease the receiver.  So I suspect you'll end up paying the $12/month for a Hopper whether you lease or buy it.

How much do you think a Hopper will cost?  And if it is leased and dies, Dish replaces it.  If it is owned and dies, you replace it.  Search the forums and you'll see that not all Hoppers run trouble-free for five years.

#11 OFFLINE   icmoney

icmoney

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

Paying for the 'deal' is worse than getting a cell phone on the '2 year plan' as the hardware doesn't go out of style as fast and Dish controls the entire market

I own my equipment and did self install of 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys. I'm assuming you will be using western arc, so you need a 1000.2 dish with DPP LNB's.

You will also need a Single Node module that goes between Sat dish and Hopper/Joeys.

If you need more help or advice, you can PM me.

#12 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

I own my equipment and did self install of 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys. I'm assuming you will be using western arc, so you need a 1000.2 dish with DPP LNB's.

You will also need a Single Node module that goes between Sat dish and Hopper/Joeys.

If you need more help or advice, you can PM me.

So please enlighten us since you purchased and installed your own equipment, what is your monthly fee compared to those who lease?  A new leasing customer would pay $12 WH DVR + $7 Joey + $7 Joey for a total of $26 monthly fees.  If it is much less than that you might be on to something.  We are all curious what the same owned/installed monthly DVR & equipment fees are?  TIA for your reply.

#13 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

You recieved incorrect info from the DISH reps you spoke with. As stated by previous members, Your monthly bill will be exactly the same whether you own or lease your equipment. There are currently only a couple of valid reasons to voluntarily purchase DISH equipment. 1. To avoid a contract and 2. To be able to activate and deactivate a receiver without having to return it to DISH (Common among RVers).

Armed with this new "correct" info, if you still want to do a self install, I'm sure all of your initial questions will be answered.

#14 OFFLINE   icmoney

icmoney

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

So please enlighten us since you purchased and installed your own equipment, what is your monthly fee compared to those who lease?  A new leasing customer would pay $12 WH DVR + $7 Joey + $7 Joey for a total of $26 monthly fees.  If it is much less than that you might be on to something.  We are all curious what the same owned/installed monthly DVR & equipment fees are?  TIA for your reply.

I don't care what the difference is. I have not compared. I just choose to own my equipment and not be under any contract commitment. If the cost mattered to me I would only have OTA antenna and TV. That is all I have to say on subject. The OP asked for help and I offered it.

#15 OFFLINE   pwkpete

pwkpete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

I was on the phone with a Dish sales person (I have her contact info from the Phoenix office) - she ran the #'s on my account and told me that I would not incur the 26$ of fees listed if I owned, but only if I went with the plan. I'll re-verify with her...

#16 OFFLINE   pwkpete

pwkpete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

Thx ICMoney - appreciate the info. Will ping you if I have additional questions.

#17 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

The fees for owned/leased equipment are exactly the same. I would know as I own two Hoppers and lease the other two.

GjePvDS.png

I have grandfathered fees which are the following :-

1st Hopper fee (DVR Fee) : $10

Each additional Hopper/Joey: $7

However the new fee structure is :-

1st Hopper fee (DVR Fee) : $12

Each additional Hopper: $12

Each additional Joey: $7

So as you can see, purchased receivers carry the same monthly fees as leased receivers.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yeah... there are some advantages (lack of contract commitment, more flexibility in activating/deactivating receivers) of owning vs leasing... but monthly price is NOT one of those advantages.  IF your primary reason is cost-per-month, then you will not be saving money owning vs leasing.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#19 OFFLINE   pwkpete

pwkpete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Ok, so I called her back and told her others said the fee was not related to equipment lease/rental. She talked to her boss and was shocked that you guys were right. Now, how a Dish sales person wouldn't know that is beyond me. I would have been steaming if I bought the equipment and then was told I had to pay the fees when I was told by sales otherwise! (This was a Dish sales person @ Dish, not a reseller...)

$12+7+7 on top of regular lineup fees makes me rethink the need for this service...

Thanks for the pointing out their error. Now I really hate all these companies....

-P

#20 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:22 PM

But I don't think you will really do a lot better with any other companies. All TV providers these days gouge on their equipment fees.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

spam firewall