Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DBS and the demise of iGoogle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

With iGoogle ending this month I've been searching for something similar that has a bookmark widget and works well on an ipad. After lots of trial and error, I think I got one called igHome working to my liking. It has one problem though, my Google Bookmark widget has DBSTalk, but when I touch the link I get this error message:

{"message":"Cross domain request is not allowed: http:\/\/www.ighome.com","type":"alert"}

I think I see the issue, but might it be something that DBStalk could fix? My other forum,sites, and blog links all seem to work just fine.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 561 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

It sounds as though whatever link is being used for DBSTalk is trying to be opened by igHome via javascript with some sort of wrapper being applied by igHome.  For security reasons, we and most other sites don't allow that.  In fact, it's generally not us adding that functionality, it's generally the browser refusing to do that.  That is what is commonly referred to as cross-site scripting and is a huge security risk associated with most of the major holes/flaws in forum software found over the last few years.

From what you've said, it sounds like you're using the widget that uses an exported file of your google bookmarks.  If other forums work correctly, I think you need to check what exactly is linked in that bookmark.  I suspect the problem lies there somewhere.

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#3 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

From what you've said, it sounds like you're using the widget that uses an exported file of your google bookmarks.  If other forums work correctly, I think you need to check what exactly is linked in that bookmark.  I suspect the problem lies there somewhere.

Yes, you're right that its a widget using an exported file of my Google bookmarks.  The link is supposed to take me to here:  http://www.dbstalk.c...v-cutting-edge/  I stay logged in to DBSTalk.  I think the error only occurs when I use it on my iPad's Safari.

Thanks for the thorough reply!

#4 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

I can confirm that the bookmark links to DBSTalk fails only when I use it on my iPad, either in the iPad's Safari or in the Chrome App.  The link works as expected when I'm on a desktop PC.   Similar links, like to the AVSForum, work fine on the iPad, so that leads me back to this maybe being an issue for DBSTalk?  

#5 OFFLINE   mgavs

mgavs

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Same problem here on iPad, no issues with all other sites like avsforum, satelliteguys, etc. not easy to find anything now.

#6 OFFLINE   mgavs

mgavs

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

This is what I get from google to dbstalk
{"message":"Cross domain request is not allowed: https:\/\/www.google.com","type":"alert"}

#7 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

I noticed today that the google bookmark to DBStalk worked! Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

We made no change.  So it must have been something browser side or google side.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#9 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

Interesting.  I wondered which end "fixed" it.  Regardless, thanks for your input!

spam firewall