Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Remanufactured R-15

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Telecom Techie

Telecom Techie

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hello, All. I've been learning here for several years, and now I have something to share.

One of my old R15-300's failed. After years of service, it went completely dead. Received as a protection-plan replacement for a failed Tivo, it was a dusty "refurbished" veteran when I got it. The failure mode suggests a power supply problem, but the solution was to call the protection plan folks. They promised a replacement and did not want the dead R-15 in exchange.

The replacement arrived promptly. I was hoping for an R-22. I was expecting a dusty R-16... but what I got was a perfectly remanufactured R-15. When I say "REMANUFACTURED", I mean disassembled, washed, and reassembled with new fastners and new cables, new hard drive, painted steel cover, and new or repainted front. The degree of care given this old 2006-vintage box was shocking enough, but there were two significant upgrades that I share for your information and discussion:

1.) The old 160GB Seagate Barracuda is replaced with a new 250GB Seagate Pipeline. There is an IDE to SATA converter attached to the drive.

2.) The dish selection menu includes SWM options. I am not using this box on a SWM system, but the presence of the option in the firmware suggests that this old box, which originally did not support SWM, has been upgraded to add SWM functionality. Right?

I believe this observation provides insight into how DTV is managing their stock of equipment during the sunset of SD. It is curious to me that (if I am right about SWM) an obsolete receiver has been essentially converted into the newer model. The cost of this reman is probably less that a new unit, but MUCH higher than simply testing/reboxing a used unit and labeling it "refurbished".

Has production of R-16's ceased? Is this expensive R-15 reman driven by a shortage of good reclaimed R-16 and R-15 boxes?

BTW, a DTV tech told me that refurbed R-22's have been sent out as SD-DVR replacements in recent months.

If DTV is scraping the bottom of the barrel for SD-DVR's (maybe I should say "when", not "if"), does anyone expect HD-DVR's to become the default replacement for SD-DVR's?

Edited by Telecom Techie, 09 October 2013 - 07:04 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

the R15 needs more than firmware to be SWM compatible. Perhaps is using the general firmware from the other SD DVRs

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

That's pretty interesting.  I love my two R15-300's and watch them a lot more than my R22.  One of them was BRAND NEW when I got it in July 2007 and the other one was "refurbished" (but I don't think they did a thing to it).  It is from 2005 including the HDD!!! I got it when it was 2 years old.   If one of them fails and it's the HDD, I'll probably replace it myself.  If it's a power supply or something more serious, I'll spend the $20 and get a replacement from DTV.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#4 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

Do you have a friend with a SWM setup? That would be the best way to tell for sure. I've never heard of an r15 working in a SWM setup though. And yes, R22s are back.

Sent from my XT907 using DBSTalk mobile app

#)

#5 OFFLINE   Telecom Techie

Telecom Techie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Do you have a friend with a SWM setup? That would be the best way to tell for sure.

No, but I would almost buy a SWM-8 just to explore this. And to free up some coax runs for other projects.

spam firewall