Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NBC Sports Network

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dakn2

dakn2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

I've been with Dish 13 years now with few issues (knock on wood) . I've been happy with the America's Top 120 pkg and some premiums. I wanted to watch the Chicago Black Hawks and most of their games are on NBC Sports Network. It appears the only two packages that offer NBC Sports Network are the America’s Top 250 or the Everything package. It doesn’t appear to be an alacart choice, nor (strangely) not in the Sports Package…

So for 9 months the cheapest I can see the games for is $225 (+$25/month Oct – June) – for that much I will probably finally try another provider!

Is there any way to do this more economically with Dish?

Edited by dakn2, 10 October 2013 - 07:13 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

Are you outside the Chicago market? You could see practically every game via Center Ice on Dish or online with Gamecenter... both cheaper than $225 and way more games.

• John W likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   dakn2

dakn2

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:06 AM

No; I'm in the Chicago area.

I didn't consider Center Ice on Dish or online with Gamecenter; I'll have to look into those possibilities but are there local blackouts?

Just kills me that most of the other providers have NBC Sports Network as part of their basic packages; while Dish places it in their top tier packages....

Edited by dakn2, 10 October 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

If you're in the Chicago viewing area, you won't get them with CI or GC, then.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Go for it and switch if you think DISH is overcharging.

The bottom line to watch the sports you want if you have the Top120 (not +) is you will pay $18.75 a month over a year's time. Good luck finding anywhere that won't be more where it is included in the package other than a promo new customer price. I believe it would be $35 more a month with the Direct TV Ultimate package - $26.25 per month over a year's time.

(If you have the Top120 $25 a month more)

(If you have the Top120+ $15 a month more)

We try and tell people how much sports costs. And before someone says it would be less if A La carte as a single channel add on, I bet it would be very close to the same price. It's not a popular channel and they would have to charge alot to the few who would get it. And it would be ONE channel.

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

I've been with Dish 13 years now with few issues (knock on wood) . I've been happy with the America's Top 120 pkg and some premiums. I wanted to watch the Chicago Black Hawks and most of their games are on NBC Sports Network. 

Glancing through the 'Hawks schedule I'd say you're incorrect. A great deal of their games are either on CSN-Chicago, WGN or NHL Network. Only 12 'Hawks games are on NBCSN. Barring those 12, stepping to 120+ would get you CSN-Chicago, and I suspect WGN as well, though I think you have that already since that's 'local' to you. You'd only miss the national games, then; moving to Top 200 gains you NHLN, or adding the MSP at $9 a month to get NHLN plus the other sports nets. 

Then you're only missing 5 games.

Edited by James Long, 11 October 2013 - 05:07 PM.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

It has always seemed odd that I have CBS Sports but not NBC Sports.

#8 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

We try and tell people how much sports costs. And before someone says it would be less if A La carte as a single channel add on, I bet it would be very close to the same price. It's not a popular channel and they would have to charge alot to the few who would get it. And it would be ONE channel.

It would be less, eventually.

With a-la-carte, ESPN would be between 25 to 30 dollars a month.  Obviously, its revenue would decline, and ESPN would be forced to renegotiate its contracts with its sports partners.  Eventually, ESPN would charge about 1.50 a month, indexed to inflation. 

What is it that Barry Diller has said about ESPN?  That 90% of households are paying exorbitant monthly cable fees so that the 10% of Sports Fans can watch ESPN.

I'll say it another way.

Right now every NonSports Household is transfering 25 dollars a month to Sports Fans, so that they can watch ESPN at a reasonable price.  The only reason ESPN is able to send the NFL and NCAA billions of dollars a year in TV rights is due to the NonSports Household.

It is what it Is.

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

It has always seemed odd that I have CBS Sports but not NBC Sports.

Artifact of when NBCSN was Versus.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'll say it another way.

Right now every NonSports Household is transfering 25 dollars a month to Sports Fans, so that they can watch ESPN at a reasonable price.  The only reason ESPN is able to send the NFL and NCAA billions of dollars a year in TV rights is due to the NonSports Household.

It is what it Is.

Not true.... not even as an analogy.  You are ignoring the cost of other channels AND you are ignoring the concept that we all are paying for channels we don't watch.

Nobody in any way you slice it is "paying" $25 to ESPN in any fashion.  That is beyond a strawman argument.

Also, all the sport-watching people are paying for those non-sport channels too... so you're getting the channels you like because others are willing to contribute.

A la carte would reveal just how few channels would be worth the asking price... and you might be surprised when the dust settles what channels survive.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall