Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Tomorrow People" - science fiction worth viewing?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,555 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

The CW isn't my usual viewing choice. Yes, I do record "Hart of Dixie" which my wife and I watch in the Summer because it's silly, light, and airs some great music we don't hear elsewhere. But for the most part their shows lack depth.

I am curious about "Tomorrow People" because Executive Producer Phil Klemmer said in in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter:

I hope people are engaged on two levels. I hope it's exciting and action-packed. It's science fiction that I don't think you get to see on TV, or certainly not on network television. What I like about it is that it is something you can enjoy as hardcore sci-fi and an emotionally raw, honest coming-of-age story.

My first reaction when I read descriptions of it is to let it slide. Most descriptions read like this one:

Genetically enhanced humans vs. the government. It's one of the oldest sci-fi clichés in the book. But The CW's Tomorrow People, a reboot of the '70s cult classic, never feels dated. There are definite retro nods — such as their A.I. computer sidekick, TiM — but it has enough twists (and sexy, implausibly high school characters) to fit in perfectly alongside other CW teen fare.

The actual Tomorrow People are a group of very attractive, lippy young adults who are blessed -- or cursed, depending on whose side you're on — with superpowers. Without anyone to tell him differently, Stephen (Robbie Amell) understandably begins to think he's gone crazy when he hears a voice in his head and begins waking up in his neighbor's bed.

Teen angst over having special powers is a "thing" on The CW, but I still remember "Roswell" on the now defunct UPN which IMHO was scifi very well done. One can always hope.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

I am hoping that it will be worth watching..... 

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#3 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,289 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the post, I will check it out. It looks like it could be good.  My only thought is the basic concept might be being used too much, first we had Heroes, then Alphas, now Tomorrow People.  While it is somewhat of a stretch with the story line you could even include Haven in shows about people with supernatural powers

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

I watched the fall preview show for CW, and it really makes me look forward to TP. It looks really good from the clips there. The SFX when they teleport are as good as any I've seen, but then CW has a rich history of that sort of quality with Smallville. I guess we will know pretty soon.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for the post, I will check it out. It looks like it could be good.  My only thought is the basic concept might be being used too much, first we had Heroes, then Alphas, now Tomorrow People.  While it is somewhat of a stretch with the story line you could even include Haven in shows about people with supernatural powers

The original Tomorrow People predated all of these by a big margin.  I watched it and was pleasantly surprised.  It followed the original to a point (as much as I remember that far back).

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:56 AM

So I liked it, but maybe not as much as I wished I would. It has that certain derivative CW patina about it, and a little of that goes a long way.

I like the cast a lot, and the story, but the writing is a little hackey. Greg Berlanti has produced very good shows (including Arrow for the CW), and very bad shows, and very good shows that devolved into very bad shows (Brothers and Sisters comes to mind). So the show has a shot, and has promise. Let's hope it begins realizing that quickly. This was a solid single to right, but only triples and homers can support a show for it to last the entire season.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#7 ONLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

I watched it last night

I liked the cast and special effects

I'm not sure about the story line, though. 

And don't like the title...have the Ziggy Marley song stuck in my head now.

I'll be watching it. Good enough so far.

3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#8 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Watched it with my 8 year old daughter. We enjoyed it. Definitely a CW type show. But now I can watch SHIELD and Tomorrow People with her.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DBSTalk mobile app

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,555 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

Watched it with my 8 year old daughter. We enjoyed it. Definitely a CW type show. But now I can watch SHIELD and Tomorrow People with her.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DBSTalk mobile app

We watched it. My wife said it reminded her of "Roswell" without any prompting from me. It was a pilot done the way most pilots are done today - cram in a lot of story arcs to get things started. But it has a surprising supporting cast. I liked the premise of the show and hope it will grow a bit of an audience so they can give it more than one season.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

I didn't even know about the show but happened to be watching that channel in the slot before. Ended up setting up a series link before the show was over. If the remainder of the episodes go this route it will definitely keep me interested. There are a lot of story lines available to the writers and the cast did a good job of selling it.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

I am liking this show, and didn't have to get drunk to watch it.... J/K  :)

― 
Joseph Campbell

#12 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

I am liking this show, and didn't have to get drunk to watch it.... J/K   :)

Re: J/K ... So you didn't like the show or you did have to get drunk to watch it?

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Re: J/K ... So you didn't like the show or you did have to get drunk to watch it?

I'm still laughing @ this question....  :rolling: Loved the show.. Joking about being drunk.... :)

― 
Joseph Campbell

#14 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

I've watched all the episodes so far...it's OK but whay are all the tomorrow people the same age? Where are the older people? Have they ALL been captured/killed by the bad guys? Did this phenomenon just start fairly recently? Maybe these questions will get answered.

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

I'm pretty sure the reason all of the Tomorrow People are so young is because it's being shown on the CW network - nothing more, nothing less.
  • Supramom2000 likes this

#16 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

There's an answer I can't argue with.

Some questions are just not worth asking, especially if they mess with your ability to suspend disbelief.

My suggestion would be to just not be concerned about how old they are and why, and just go with it. But true, if they were all 45, or 65, or were all 22 but not super good looking, it probably would not have been green-lit.

That said, I feel it is consistently good, and gets better with each ep. It's a must-see for me. If I really try, I still can't find much wrong here. I sure hope the little girl who got shot survives, she's kind of the "Felicity Smoak" character in this one, or at least has the potential to be that type of character (and Felicity is what makes Arrow better than it otherwise would be).

#17 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

. . . .

I am curious about "Tomorrow People" because Executive Producer Phil Klemmer said in in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter:

. . ..

I'm enjoying it. It is just another variation of what the next human species would be like. With just the jumping that's truly unbelievable for even next ten future human species.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

Oh, and I read today, that all three new CW shows been picked up for the whole year.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#19 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

I have 4 shows I watch with my daughter, and this is one of them.  It is the one she asks the least questions during as well!

We watch:  The Tomorrow People

Agents of Shield

The Middle

Once Upon a Time

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

Spoiler

Protected By... spam firewall...And...