Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Record one show on two channels

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

I've setup two series links for ABC shows on my DVR. One for the satellite feed and a second for the off-air feed. It only appears to record the higher priority series link (despite the available tuners in my HR34). I'm guessing this has something to do with the DVR thinking I've setup a duplicate pass.

How do I change this to record first run shows on both channels?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

You could try an advanced boolen search for the show and set to auto record than it will record all instances of it with in the channels specified in the search but you may still run into the same problem of the unit only recording one of the two channels for that show as the history will show based on show data that it has been recorded already. 

Might we find out why you want to record the exact same show twice? security back up in case of signal loss?

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#3 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Set up one series link and one manual record for the other channel.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Set up one series link and one manual record for the other channel.

That's what I've done.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

Sorry for abandoning my thread. Yes, this is to have a backup recording in case my antenna feed fails. A repeating manual recording is less desirable given the maintenance necessary when shows change schedule. I might just stick to my every couple of weeks hitting record in the guide for the shows we watch.

#6 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:57 AM

Does your ABC Station Have a SD Channel in the Guide? (not over the air channel) if so set the recording for the SD channel and all should be well.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#7 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

To follow up, I realized the simple solution was to setup the satellite recordings on my second DVR.  If this wasn't an option, I probably would have gone with SD recordings as my backup.  All of this is likely temporary until I feel confident that my antenna is solid.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

To follow up, I realized the simple solution was to setup the satellite recordings on my second DVR.  If this wasn't an option, I probably would have gone with SD recordings as my backup.  All of this is likely temporary until I feel confident that my antenna is solid.

Solid Signal sells solid antennas.  Sorry, I just couldn't resist.   :rolling:

Rich 

#9 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,467 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

I've setup two series links for ABC shows on my DVR. One for the satellite feed and a second for the off-air feed. It only appears to record the higher priority series link (despite the available tuners in my HR34). I'm guessing this has something to do with the DVR thinking I've setup a duplicate pass.

How do I change this to record first run shows on both channels?

Sure there wasn't another conflict at that time? Perhaps 3 OTA channels trying to record? Asking because a few minutes ago, I duplicated a 12:30 PM OTA series link with a SAT SL for the same show (ABC's Millionaire), and both are recording as I type this. I'm using an HR21. Don't have OTA hooked-up to my Genie at this time, so I can't check if it may be a Genie-only issue.

/steve

spam firewall