Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Masters of Sex

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Its good, but I am having trouble understanding a lot of the motivation behind the actions of the two lead characters. Masters is kind of a d***, actually, and Johnson seems confused by everything. The writers need to pull this together quickly or I will start to lose interest.

Other than the clumsy storytelling, the cast is great, the story is compelling, and the set direction gives an interesting mid-50's view of their world. It is not overtly or gratuitously sexual, although it might make Granny blush (I don't think I'll watch this with Mom and Dad), and there is a surprising amount of humor, most of it from the prostitute hired by Masters for his "research".

So there is a lot of promise here, but delivery is a separate issue, and unless they get the storytelling aspect a little clearer things could go either way.

Also, I think the title is a little too cute of a double-entendre and a little too on the nose; Masters and Johnson would have been a better title.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

They were definitely pioneers in their field. I think the show is great and will get even better. The fact that he leaves his wife to marry her will make it interesting if they can take it that far chronologically.

I always found it interesting that she was so advanced academically in her youth, quit college and eventually became a staple in academia without a college degree.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 509 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

I'm a fan myself. I can see the science behind it so I can follow it.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

The show is getting better, and ep 3 was much less dependent upon character motivation so although they have not addressed this problem it was not an irritant.

What I am wondering is

Spoiler

But the slice of 50's life and the issues folks faced back then is really being illustrated very well.

Edited by TomCat, 14 October 2013 - 01:53 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

The show is getting better, and ep 3 was much less dependent upon character motivation so although they have not addressed this problem it was not an irritant.

What I am wondering is

Spoiler

But the slice of 50's life and the issues folks faced back then is really being illustrated very well.

I wondered the same as you.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

The show seems to be getting better all the time. All I know is it is not ever predictable, it is always compelling, and I am never bored. There are probably less than half a dozen "must see" shows that I need to see on the same day, and this is one of them. It hits all the right notes with both serious drama and comedy all at once, and never hits you over the head with either. Not that easy to pull off; many have failed at that.

I'm also growing fonder of adorable Lizzy Caplan with every episode, and she's really bringing it, and has established herself here as a pretty good actor. And even her 50's haircut is cute.

After all, how many shows could get away with the line "Why doesn't my d--- work?!"

• sigma1914 likes this

spam firewall