Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Monday Night Changes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,506 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

http://www.thefutonc.../20131009cbs04/

"We Are Men" has been canned after 2 episodes, saw that coming, and 2 Broke Girls get moved. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 963 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

I wish  these broadcasters wernt so impatient!  my wife and i both liked lucky7 and the 1st episode of we are men and now theyre both gone, I'll admit they may not be great shows but we were just starting to like the storyline and the actors on lucky 7,they really need to give these shows a chance to develop!

#3 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 450 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

We are men was funny. I wish they'd wait longer too. Might as well delete the series.

Sent from the other side of the Milky Way with my S4.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,506 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

I wish  these broadcasters wernt so impatient! 

I agree with you but unfortunately they need shows that bring in viewers.  Two episodes is hardly enough time.  Unfortunately they have to have big numbers immediately though or advertisers pull their money.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,752 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

Another reason why I don't bother with "new" shows anymore. If they get renewed for a second season, then maybe I'll go back and watch the first. 

:sleeping:  I am a day sleeper. I follow a European schedule.
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,506 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Another reason why I don't bother with "new" shows anymore. If they get renewed for a second season, then maybe I'll go back and watch the first. 

What I've been doing the past several years is record new shows I want to watch but don't watch them until either they are renewed for season 2 or it's a single season show that is wrapped up nicely.  Needless to say this one will get whacked when I get home from work tonight.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:44 AM

I agree with you but unfortunately they need shows that bring in viewers.  Two episodes is hardly enough time.  Unfortunately they have to have big numbers immediately though or advertisers pull their money.

That is not actually what happens. What happens is that an avail that was going for 120K starts to go for 50K, and if the net thinks it can put in a relief pitcher that can throw strikes and get a better audience, there is quickly no room for the show that can't. And if spots were sold with a ratings promise that is not met, they have to schedule make goods in their other shows to keep the advertisers happy, and those avails come from a finite pool of total positions, meaning that costs them money.

Lucky 7 was replaced by repeats of Scandal, because everyone wants to advertise in Scandal and will pay the high freight for the pleasure to be there, and now there are instantly twice as many opportunities to pay highly to have your spot air on Scandal. Scandal repeats will probably also do much better than originals of Lucky 7, and having Scandal on more often increases the profile and buzz of that show, and retains viewers who may have missed an ep of this serialized show. And it goes without saying, although I will, that Scandal is just one of the best shows on TV while these two were two of the worst. Since less than 30% of shows survive, networks have had to come up with clever strategies to best monetize failure, and they have been pretty creative about that.

It is also not totally about ratings; there are a lot of factors. Shows with worse ratings are still on the air.

One of the factors is do they have faith in the show. They had enough to get it scheduled, but success has many fathers while failure is an orphan, It was pretty easy for me to pick out what would be the first two shows cancelled based on the fact that I had no faith that they had the ability or inclination to ever get any better than they were. Other struggling shows have a certain element of promise, while these two showed none.

But it is a total crapshoot. I would have never let MJF embarass himself on my network with a show as bad as the one he is currently fronting, but it still may be successful in spite of its crapiness. The DA was one of the most promising shows ever, but was gone after 4 eps. Of course that producer later redeemed himself and proved to the entire Hollywood community that he was a force to be reckoned with by bringing us The Closer and Major Crimes.

Edited by TomCat, 11 October 2013 - 12:46 AM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,506 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:57 AM

That is not actually what happens. What happens is that an avail that was going for 120K starts to go for 50K,

How is that not EXACTLY what I said???  Going from 120k to 50k for a commercial slot is the exact same thing as advertisers pulling money.  The result is the same no matter how you want to say it.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

Except for the mega-hits, shows don't really build audiences anymore. It's about retention or limiting losses.

If you start really low, and week 2 is even lower, there's simply no time and virtually no precedent for building an audience.

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

How is that not EXACTLY what I said???  Going from 120k to 50k for a commercial slot is the exact same thing as advertisers pulling money.  The result is the same no matter how you want to say it.

Its is not EXACTLY what you said because EXACTLY what you said implies something NOT EXACTLY like what happens.

Advertisers don't see ratings less than what they were expecting and then "pull their money". Nobody stops payment on their checks. But although it is really not all that complicated and really does not matter to anyone else, I will explain why what really happens is not advertisers "pulling their money" since you apparently can't grasp that concept, which I thought I already over-explained once.

The spot avails are typically mostly sold well ahead of times. You've heard of "upfronts", right? The name comes from the network selling the spot availabilities "up front". Billions of dollars in ad revenue are marked for the new shows in May, 4 to 5 months before the shows ever air. Most of the scatter that is still left to sell goes during that 4-5 months. That money is already committed. But there may be spots not sold, and if a show has poor ratings the first time out, the network can't get the 120k price that was set for that show and that others have already paid for that show, and to fill those avails they have to take lowball offers of 50K.

Not only that, since advertisers paid 120K for spot availabilities adjacent to those now going for 50K in the same show, the network has to appease them, which they do by giving them other opportunities in the form of placing the commercials elsewhere to give them the other 70K in value. Hence the term "make good". The money budgeted for by the advertiser stays with the network, and the network increases the value for that money by giving make goods, to the point where the advertiser is still getting his money's worth. No one pulls their money. Doing that makes them persona non grata and future ad avails that are attractive to them will never again be available to them.

Also, an advertiser that actually wants his money back would then have an advertising budget for that year and no where to spend it. Having the network solve that problem for them keeps the owner of that company from taking that money away from the advertising arm of that company, which is what would happen if it were not spent.

The only reason I said that advertisers pulling their money is not what happens, is because that is not what happens. Advertisers have an advertising budget, money they can earmark to pay for places to run their ads. That money is committed well ahead of time, and if it appears that the contract is not delivering enough eyeballs then ads are placed for free to compensate the advertiser. It's just as simple as that.

The only thing even remotely similar about what you said and what really happens is that when a show has lower ratings than expected, the profit from that show is lower as well, which often becomes a reason to cancel it. But it has nothing to do with advertisers "pulling their money", because advertisers don't "pull their money". No advertiser calls and says "hey I want my money back!", because advertisers as well as networks understand the business, and both understand that ratings are unpredictable and that if they are not up to snuff the network will call pre-emptively and renegotiate in the advertiser's favor automatically, because the network want's to get part of their advertising budget the next time around.

It is not an adversarial relationship, it's business. And that is the way it works.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,506 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Yeah, not even going to wade through all of that...

• sigma1914 likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 450 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, not even going to wade through all of that...

Me neither.

#13 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

I am more than a little cautious to watch most of these new series, as they tend to get cancelled before you've watched the first episode.....

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

spam firewall