Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Who's ever received via email someone else's Account Statement and/or Account Snapshot?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Blackhawks

Blackhawks

• Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Over the last 18 months, I've received three to four DTV Account Snapshots and/or Account Statements of other DTV Customers. My email and their emails aren't even close. DTV Customer Service apparently doesn't seem concerned regarding PCI Compliance or Privacy of Customer Information. I've reported this on each instance, finally having to call Office of the President. They appear more concerned then normal DTV Customer Service. Wondering how many other emailed Account Snapshots and/or Account Statements of other people have been sent to the wrong people? Great way to help ID Theft. Think about it Account Statements contain; Name, Address, City, State, Zip and anything else can be obtained elsewhere online. Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Edited by Blackhawks, 10 October 2013 - 11:33 AM.

• Cablevision of Chicago (Became Continental Cable, MediaOne Cable, TCI & Comcast) Customer: 1983 - 2005 .
  • Ameritech Cellular: 1991 - 1994
  • Cellular One (Changed Name to Cingular & AT&T Mobility) Customer: 1995 - 2010
  • AT&T HSI Customer: 1996 - 2010
  • XM Radio (Now SiriusXM) Customer: 2001 - Present 
  • DISH Network Customer: 2005 - 2012
  • AT&T U-Verse Internet Customer: 2010 - Present
  • Verizon Wireless Customer: 2010 - Present
  • DirecTV Customer: 2012 - Present  

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

Right click on the sender name and see what the actual email address is.

It is likely that those are spoof emails not from DirecTV.

I have had auto bill pay and paperless billing since it began and I have never gotten anyone's except my own.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Blackhawks

Blackhawks

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

Right click on the sender name and see what the actual email address is.
It is likely that those are spoof emails not from DirecTV.

I have had auto bill pay and paperless billing since it began and I have never gotten anyone's except my own.

The emails were all verified by DTV as being sent from their servers. The emails of those customers and mine are not even close. The accounts are also verified as real active accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
  • Cablevision of Chicago (Became Continental Cable, MediaOne Cable, TCI & Comcast) Customer: 1983 - 2005 .
  • Ameritech Cellular: 1991 - 1994
  • Cellular One (Changed Name to Cingular & AT&T Mobility) Customer: 1995 - 2010
  • AT&T HSI Customer: 1996 - 2010
  • XM Radio (Now SiriusXM) Customer: 2001 - Present 
  • DISH Network Customer: 2005 - 2012
  • AT&T U-Verse Internet Customer: 2010 - Present
  • Verizon Wireless Customer: 2010 - Present
  • DirecTV Customer: 2012 - Present  

#4 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

I occasionally do, but it's because my email address is a very common name @gmail.com, and apparently the general public is too stupid to know that their email address is something different. Combine that with the fact that gmail ignores periods in email addresses and the fact that most other companies don't, there are a couple of people out there who have signed up for various things with different (valid) variations of my email account.

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

The emails were all verified by DTV as being sent from their servers. The emails of those customers and mine are not even close. The accounts are also verified as real active accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Wow ! Thanks for that added information. That is a little bit nasty for sure.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

DirecTV just emailed me a few days ago my $245 refund check went to an address in Ohio.

I am not expecting a refund check, went over my account and couldn't find anything, and when I called DirecTV, they went over my account transactions and could find  nothing either.

I have no idea if it was a brain phart in a DirecTV computer, or some kind of scam from persons unknown.

Also. DirecTV actually has my correct email address on file, thinks it is incorrect, and will not let me change it to the correct address since it is the same.  This is an ongoing issue, I noted this problem months ago.

Just edging towards dropping my auto bill pay if things get a little more hinky . . .

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

I would think you could go into your Profile and change your email address. People change providers and services all the time and it has to be where it can be changed.

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Changing the email address requires putting in one that is not the same as the one that is already there.  Unfortunately, the one that is there is the correct one.

Smells of Microsoft to me, but what do I know ?

!rolling

#9 OFFLINE   taoseno

taoseno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Just freeze your credit and no worries..................

Todd
Taos, NM USA

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic TC-P42ST30
Panasonic TH-PX4280U
DTV HR44-500
DTV HR24-500 w/ 2TB ext drive
DTV HR20-100
DTV H24-700 mobile unit

#10 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Changing the email address requires putting in one that is not the same as the one that is already there.  Unfortunately, the one that is there is the correct one.

Smells of Microsoft to me, but what do I know ?

!rolling

Change it to something else and then immediately change it to the correct thing

#11 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Ohhhhh.

See, that's why I am not computer savvy.

I'll give it a try.

Hope the one I make up ain't a real one somewhere.

spam firewall