Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about HR34-700 and different dishes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   auzambo

auzambo

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

My apologies if this has been asked before...I couldn't find the answers I wanted through the search feature (though I admit to not looking for very long).

I'm going tailgating this weekend and need to know if our equipment is compatible. We usually use an old 18" round dish and the silver standard def receiver, but I just found out our source for the standard def receiver can't deliver. We're stuck with the HR34-700 Genie receiver, the 18" round SD dish (probably 5 or 6 years old), and I have an old slimline HD dish (about 3 or 4 years old) at home. I apologize, but I don't have the specific model numbers for the dishes.

1. Will the 18" round SD dish work with the Genie receiver? I called DirecTV and they said it would not but I see several sites online that suggest that I can in fact use the standard def dish. I obviously wouldn't get the HD channels, but that's fine.

2. Even if the 18" dish will work, I'd like to try the slimline dish first. Will the slimline dish mount tightly on the same pole we used for the 18" dish, or do they require a different diameter pole? Unfortunately the two dishes are in different locations, so I can't simply look at them to compare them.

3. If I am able to securely mount the HD dish, how hard is it to pick up all the needed satellites? I never adjusted the angle settings on the dish when I took it off the my roof, so I hope it's just a matter of making sure the mounting pole is vertical, then slowly rotating the dish until I get a solid signal.

I've set up the standard dish and receiver many times before with no problems, so I'm hoping the HD dish is basically the same. If there's anything else I need to know or other advice that can come in handy let me know.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

1. Will the 18" round SD dish work with the Genie receiver? I called DirecTV and they said it would not but I see several sites online that suggest that I can in fact use the standard def dish. I obviously wouldn't get the HD channels, but that's fine.

Yes it will work, there's a setting for it. However you do need the version with two outputs (which is all you can find now anyway) then you need to run from that into a 3x4 multiswitch, then all four outputs into a SWM8. It's a lot of work and the SWM-equipped Slimlines are cheaper.

2. Even if the 18" dish will work, I'd like to try the slimline dish first. Will the slimline dish mount tightly on the same pole we used for the 18" dish, or do they require a different diameter pole? Unfortunately the two dishes are in different locations, so I can't simply look at them to compare them.

The Slimline dish requires a 2" pole, the 18" uses a 1.66" pole. Several online retailers sell adapters to go from one to the other if needed.

3. If I am able to securely mount the HD dish, how hard is it to pick up all the needed satellites? I never adjusted the angle settings on the dish when I took it off the my roof, so I hope it's just a matter of making sure the mounting pole is vertical, then slowly rotating the dish until I get a solid signal.

It's harder than aiming the 18" that's for sure. In addition to Azimuth (compass) and elevation (up/down) there is a tilt adjustment as well. It's easier to aim the Slimline-3 than the Slimline-5, getting that 119 satellite dialed in can be a pain.

I've set up the standard dish and receiver many times before with no problems, so I'm hoping the HD dish is basically the same. If there's anything else I need to know or other advice that can come in handy let me know.

My advice is to watch the videos on it, and give yourself plenty of time. Get the 101 dialed in 1st, that should get you fairly close to the 99 and 103 as well. If you do choose the Slimline-5, be patient and make little steps on all 3 axes until you get it just right.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

No you can't use the 18 round dish with the HR34 as this receiver is a SWM only receiver, meaning it will only work with a SWM dish or SWM switch.

Back in the days DirecTV used to have two different size masts. 1 5/8 for the SD dishes and 2" for HD dishes. So if your 18 round dish is one of the older ones you will need a new pole

If you want to use the slimline dish, you will need a SWM LNB to go along with it. You can also use the 18 round dish but you will need a SWM8 switch paired with that dish

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Yes it will work, there's a setting for it. However you do need the version with two outputs (which is all you can find now anyway) then you need to run from that into a 3x4 multiswitch, then all four outputs into a SWM8. It's a lot of work and the SWM-equipped Slimlines are cheaper.

Actually you don't need a 3x4, you can just go straight from the 18 round dual LNB to the first two ports in the SWM8 switch

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Probably best not to jostle the HR34 too much while it's running.  In a tailgating situation be mindful of the hard drive.

Probably best not to jostle the HR34 too much while it's running.  In a tailgating situation be mindful of the hard drive.

You can say that again! !rolling

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,354 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

You can say that again! !rolling

!rolling

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

I had trouble posting that, and it looked like nothing went thru.

Also, there seems to be several dup threads today too. Are we having issues ?

:eek2:

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

What's going on ?

I get no indication I have posted anything, so I hit post again, and it all goes out.  Erf!

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Also, there seems to be several dup threads today too. Are we having issues ?

I've been having the same issue today. Posting a message takes me to a blank page. I go to the previous page and do a reload and my message is there (along with the message ready to post as a reply again).

EDIT: now it doesn't even take me to a new page. There's something wrong with some PHP code somewhere.

Edited by harsh, 10 October 2013 - 05:41 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:34 AM

Same issues here lately with posting ... 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#11 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

I saw the same thing, and almost hit post again but realized that must have been what was happening. Anyway, it was quite obvious the multiple posts were not intentional ;)

#12 OFFLINE   auzambo

auzambo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

My advice is to watch the videos on it, and give yourself plenty of time. Get the 101 dialed in 1st, that should get you fairly close to the 99 and 103 as well. If you do choose the Slimline-5, be patient and make little steps on all 3 axes until you get it just right.

I looked for some videos on YouTube but was surprised that I actually couldn't find anything useful. Is there somewhere in particular I can look?

No you can't use the 18 round dish with the HR34 as this receiver is a SWM only receiver, meaning it will only work with a SWM dish or SWM switch.

If you want to use the slimline dish, you will need a SWM LNB to go along with it. You can also use the 18 round dish but you will need a SWM8 switch paired with that dish

How do I know if the dish is the correct kind? Our slimline has 4 coax cables coming out of it. My wife is supposed to send me another picture that will hopefully tell me the specific model number.

I'm beginning to think this is going to be more work than I want to do or am capable of doing with my limited resources.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

I looked for some videos on YouTube but was surprised that I actually couldn't find anything useful. Is there somewhere in particular I can look?

How do I know if the dish is the correct kind? Our slimline has 4 coax cables coming out of it. My wife is supposed to send me another picture that will hopefully tell me the specific model number.

I'm beginning to think this is going to be more work than I want to do or am capable of doing with my limited resources.

then you must have a SWM switch somewhere.  the HR34 only works with SWM systems.  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   auzambo

auzambo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

then you must have a SWM switch somewhere.  the HR34 only works with SWM systems.  

That's what I figured. Guess I won't bother then.

It's all moot now anyway. This afternoon I found someone who is letting me borrow their standard receiver, so I can use the 18" round dish.

Thanks for all your help guys. I learned more about DirecTV in the last 24 hours than I planned on learning!

#15 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

Oops. I missed your last post. So what I had to say makes no sense.

Edited by BobStokesbary, 11 October 2013 - 11:12 PM.

spam firewall