Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV: Free-preview week in November

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 915 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

I received in today's [10.10.2013] mail information from DirecTV regarding a free-preview week of some premium-movie programmers (and their multiscreens).

[Monday,] November 25–[Sunday,] December 1, 2013

• HBO (Ch. 501–511)
  • Cinemax (Ch. 515–523)
  • Starz (Ch. 525–542)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Spanning the long Thanksgiving Holiday weeked.  Good timing.  An option besides football for the family get togethers.  Movies.  Beats having to talk to those weird Uncles.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#3 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

D* should just stop providing local channels entirely to people within the grade A or grade B contours of a station's transmitter and hand out free antennas.  That should shut the stations up real quick and save D* a lot of money in the long run.  D* really should have been more forward thinking and kept digital OTA receivers in their satellite receivers but even buying AM-21 modules for everyone that needs them would probably save them money in the long run.

#4 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

HarleyD how dare you call me weird! i'll remember you on christmas day! (LOL just kidding !) although it makes me wonder what makes your uncles weird. any way enjoy the holidays with some good moveis with the free preview!

#5 ONLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

It's the old "you can choose your friends but you can't chose your family".  They're all decent folks, I just don't have much in common with many of my relatives beyond shared DNA.  The holidays are that special time where you gather and break bread with folks with whom you might not normally choose to interact.

God bless 'em.  I might be the weird one.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#6 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

I spotted that insert with my bill about a WHOLE WEEK of free HBO, Cinemax, and Starz.  I don't think DTV has ever given a "free preview" this long or with this many competing premium channels.  Last year, there was a free preview but it started the Wednesday of Thanksgiving week and ended late Sunday night.

These free previews are designed to get you to watch the series that the program providers are running and like them enough to become a regular subscriber.  In the past, the premium channels content was 90% or greater movies but now with so many other ways of obtaining movies they have to do something to justify their outrageous monthly fee.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#7 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

I spotted that insert with my bill about a WHOLE WEEK of free HBO, Cinemax, and Starz.  I don't think DTV has ever given a "free preview" this long or with this many competing premium channels.  Last year, there was a free preview but it started the Wednesday of Thanksgiving week and ended late Sunday night.

You are, I believe, absolutely correct.  DirecTV sub since before national roll-out, back into the USSB days, this is unprecedented.  But it may be because of folks like myself, who had premiums years ago, but turned them all off and put the bucks into sports and threw a bit toward Netflix (even before bluray).

#8 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

looking forward to this

#9 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

Looking forward to this! a whole week of free movies (although I'll probably end up recording 3 or less.)

#10 OFFLINE   skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Looking forward to this! a whole week of free movies (although I'll probably end up recording 3 or less.)

lol, same here. I'm always amazed at how little I actually end up recording. It's not always that there isn't anything good, but I've usually already seen it, sometimes several times. And with these channels there's always the whole incorrect OAR issue, which I can't believe is still going on...

#11 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 300 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Can anyone confirm the exact dates and channels for this free preview?  I don't see anything on Directv.com, and I would think there would be something out there if it truly started this coming Monday. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#12 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Can anyone confirm the exact dates and channels for this free preview?  I don't see anything on Directv.com, and I would think there would be something out there if it truly started this coming Monday. 

http://www.freepreview.tv/

#13 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 300 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

Sweet!!  I have looked and there are a bunch of movies I'll be recording. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#14 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:42 AM

I haven't seen these premiums for quite a while, and it's amazing how much better (to me) the AQ and PQ is on a BluRay vs these channels.

• fireponcoal likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996

#15 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,028 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

Your listing only goes to November 17

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#16 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

Can anyone confirm that the week long preview of HBO/Cinemax/Starz/Encore from Monday November 25-Sunday December 1 is indeed unerway?

#17 OFFLINE   oriolesmagic

oriolesmagic

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

They are working for me, Cinemax and Starz, which I don't receive in my package.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Can anyone confirm that the week long preview of HBO/Cinemax/Starz/Encore from Monday November 25-Sunday December 1 is indeed unerway?

Confirmed

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

These free previews provide a good service for me. They remind me why I don't subscribe to any premium channels. There are too many repeats of movies I saw already and a lot of the content is not suitable for my entire family. And a lot of the movies are really old and not just new movies. No thank you.

#20 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

I received in today's [10.10.2013] mail information from DirecTV regarding a free-preview week of some premium-movie programmers (and their multiscreens).

[Monday,] November 25–[Sunday,] December 1, 2013

• HBO (Ch. 501–511)
  • Cinemax (Ch. 515–523)
  • Starz (Ch. 525–542)

Same with Dish.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

spam firewall