Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Channel 608 Fox College Sports Alternate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jfalk

jfalk

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

Channel 608 lists a college football game on Saturday 10/12 @1:30.  I set it to record, but I got a warning that it's a station I don't get.  But I can't seem to find any package that includes it!  I currently have the Ultimate package.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

In sports pack

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3 OFFLINE   jfalk

jfalk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

Thanks.  That's what I figured... but is this fact listed anywhere on the DirecTV website?  It certainly isn't listed as one of the channels in the sports pack. 

#4 OFFLINE   jfalk

jfalk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

That's very interesting.  But then since I get Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2, shouldn't that mean that I don't need the sports package to watch this game?

By the way, I've sent an email to DirecTV about this and I have gotten two completely clueless answers back.

#5 OFFLINE   Marty711

Marty711

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

DirecTV doesn't list the "Alternate" channels on the packages, just the "Primary" channel.
The alternates are overflow channels, if you get the primary channel as part of a package, then if there is programming on an alternate, you get that too.
There are several FOX College Sports "Alternate" channels... the peculiar thing in this instance, is unlike the other alternate channels, for instance ESPN, MLB, NHL, all those RSN's, etc., there is no longer a primary FOX College Sports as a full-time separate channel.

I believe it got incorporated operating as-required into the FS1 and FS2, and when there is a college game on either of those, then they act as the primary... I Think!
I have NOT seen this written anywhere, but when the FS#'s came into the world, the FOX College Sports primary went dark, and I assumed that this happened.

FCS is still a full time channel on cable, but never has been on satellite due to its duplicate programming. FS1 and FS2 have little to do with FCS since almost all FCS programming comes via regional sports networks. DirecTV carries it in alternate forms since much of the programming is just a repeat of what the various FSN's in sports pack already show. The exceptions are some live college sports which are exclusive to FCS and are always aired on one of the three part time channels that DirecTV utilizes for FCS programming. FCS is more like an alternate FSN channel which is why it makes sense to have it in the sports pack and run it part time.

Edited by Marty711, 11 October 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   jfalk

jfalk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Marty: If FCS is still a fulltime channel, what is its number?

(Sorry: reread your post -- it's a cable channel, not a DTV channel)

Edited by jfalk, 11 October 2013 - 08:34 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...