Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR22-100 Upgrade options

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stevepsd

stevepsd

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

I have a HR22-100 that I would like to upgrade to a newer HD-DVR (not Genie).  The whole system was installed years ago, dual coax to B-band convertors into the DVR. 

What options are available that would not require a new dish? I do not want to get locked into another 1-2 years as I will be moving, but just cannot stand the slow, laggy behaviour of the HR22 compared to the newer DVR's.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,537 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

I'm pretty sure any upgrade starts a new 2 year contract period.  You could purchase a new DVR yourself, but I am not sure if activating it starts a contract? Peds or one of our other resident experts will know the "for sure" answer on this.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

There is no current path to upgrade from a same class receiver. meaning from HDDVR to HDDVR.  "upgrading" to any receiver will create a 2 year commitment.  The only thing you can do to avoid a 2 year contract, is to call DirecTV and have them replace the receiver.  of course what you get is the luck of the draw.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

Even going under a commitment won't affect a move, unless you know you won't be taking service with you. If they find you don't have LOS, they will terminate the contract with no penalty.

Your only real option is to buy an owned used HR24. Get the RID and confirm with the Access Card department that it is truly owned and clear.

#5 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,537 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

There is no current path to upgrade from a same class receiver. meaning from HDDVR to HDDVR. "upgrading" to any receiver will create a 2 year commitment. The only thing you can do to avoid a 2 year contract, is to call DirecTV and have them replace the receiver. of course what you get is the luck of the draw.

So does that mean even if he buys one and goes through the access card dept it would start a new contract?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DBSTalk mobile app

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

So does that mean even if he buys one and goes through the access card dept it would start a new contract?

if by "buy" you actually mean "leased". yup, there is a two year commitment.  Now if the OP actually gets an OWNED receiver, then there is no contract. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

if by "buy" you actually mean "leased". yup, there is a two year commitment.  Now if the OP actually gets an OWNED receiver, then there is no contract. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

Wow, that glitch got you 3 times.  I guess they fixed it, I've had no problems with it today.  BTW, if that happens again, just back out of the forum and go back and the original post should be there.  Found that out yesterday.  

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Wow, that glitch got you 3 times.  I guess they fixed it, I've had no problems with it today.  BTW, if that happens again, just back out of the forum and go back and the original post should be there.  Found that out yesterday.  

Rich

Awesome, thanks.  but FWIW, it seems fixed

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Awesome, thanks.  but FWIW, it seems fixed

Yeah, they fixed it, but each time I post...

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...