Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D Programming

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

I'm getting a new 3D capable plasma tomorrow. Not really into 3D, but are there any channels/programs on D* that I could watch in 3D?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,492 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

I think 3Net is still available, that's about it other than PPV. ESPN shut down their 3D channel.

Keep in mind, you need an HR21+.

Honestly, I think you're better off buying a Blu-Ray that includes the 3D version, if you have a compatible player. Also, if you use an AV receiver, it needs to be compatible.

You getting one of the last Panny's? :(

#3 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

I think 3Net is still available, that's about it other than PPV. ESPN shut down their 3D channel.

Keep in mind, you need an HR21+.

Honestly, I think you're better off buying a Blu-Ray that includes the 3D version, if you have a compatible player. Also, if you use an AV receiver, it needs to be compatible.

You getting one of the last Panny's? :(

Yes I'm getting a VT65, it's a shame they're not making plasmas anymore. I prefer the picture over LCD. Hopefully OLED will be out the next time I'm ready for a new set. I have a 3D player but my AVR is only 1.3 HDMI. I'll need to buy a new player with two HDMI's, my Pioneer AVR works fine.

Edited by mridan, 11 October 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

I think you may see a 2014 product line, but with no $$$ spent on R&D its probably just a minor refresh and the last year. I love my VT50, would like to grab a VT70(?) if they make one.

The Panasonic BDT500 is a nice player with two outs, and works very well.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#5 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

I think you may see a 2014 product line, but with no $$$ spent on R&D its probably just a minor refresh and the last year. I love my VT50, would like to grab a VT70(?) if they make one.

Thanks Jason, I'll take a look at the BDT500!

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

How's the DMP-BDT330 compared to the 500? I'm thinking of selling my Oppo 93 and need dual HDMI. It'd be a downgrade huh?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

As has been mentioned, ESPN dropped their 3D channel. Other channels are following suit. 3D is generally considered dead.

#8 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

As has been mentioned, ESPN dropped their 3D channel. Other channels are following suit. 3D is generally considered dead.

For broadcast, I would agree, but for BluRay, I am not so sure.  Threre are new 3D movies coming out all of the time, and I expect most of them will find their way to BluRay.

#9 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

How's the DMP-BDT330 compared to the 500? I'm thinking of selling my Oppo 93 and need dual HDMI. It'd be a downgrade huh?

BDT 500 is a carryover from 2012 with the Panasonic designed Uniphier (SoC). For 2013 the 330 and 230 dropped it and went to a Mediatek SoC. Panasonic has not figured out how to get it working right, because I actually got a 330 as a backup and it could not pass simple spears and munsil tests outputting 1080p/24. That is inexcusable, so they are having growing pains. I have a Sony 5100 2013, and have used the dual output 790, both of those test perfectly. I do not really care for Sony menu's though, which is why I recommend the BDT500. For blu-ray, I feel the 500 is just as good as my Oppo, and its reliable.

• sigma1914 likes this
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

#10 OFFLINE   rickclem

rickclem

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

I left Comcast in February for DTV. At the time of my departure their On Demand service had both HBO and Starz 3D movies. I wish DTV would follow suit.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

For broadcast, I would agree, but for BluRay, I am not so sure.  Threre are new 3D movies coming out all of the time, and I expect most of them will find their way to BluRay.

VERY limited selection.

http://www.blu-ray.c...eleasedates.php

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

VERY limited selection.

http://www.blu-ray.c...eleasedates.php

20 this month isn't bad. It's hard to find popular BR releases nowadays not with a 3D version with it.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

20 this month isn't bad. It's hard to find popular BR releases nowadays not with a 3D version with it.

You're absolutely right (I counted 27 for this month alone) and the Blue Rays look fantastic in 3D. 

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

BDT 500 is a carryover from 2012 with the Panasonic designed Uniphier (SoC). For 2013 the 330 and 230 dropped it and went to a Mediatek SoC. Panasonic has not figured out how to get it working right, because I actually got a 330 as a backup and it could not pass simple spears and munsil tests outputting 1080p/24. That is inexcusable, so they are having growing pains. I have a Sony 5100 2013, and have used the dual output 790, both of those test perfectly. I do not really care for Sony menu's though, which is why I recommend the BDT500. For blu-ray, I feel the 500 is just as good as my Oppo, and its reliable.

Ever try a Samsung?  I have a Sony 5100 and like it.  But I have less problems with the Sammy E6500s, I have two of them.  I was fortunate when I purchased them at about $150 each.  Then, the prices went up to about $225.  Now, the price is about $200 for them.  It's like Samsung discovered what a great player the E6500 is.  

I actually like the Sammys better than the Sony.  The only real reason I bought the Sony was to get Amazon, which I never use.  I've had more problems streaming with the Sony than I have with the Sammys (I've never had a problem streaming with them).   I gave up on the Pannys a couple years ago.  I gather they've improved? Compared to a Sammy, I mean.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

For streaming, Ive had issues out of Panasonic, but not Sony. I think some of them just dont like certain setups, which is why I use Roku for all of that. I focus more on disc playback abilities.

I've owned two Samsungs, one was the $800 first blu-ray player the BDP-1000 (IIRC) and it was a tank, but the PQ was soft and they did not support it well. I had another a year or two later and the FW support SUCKED! Now I agree they have gotten better, but I just have this thing with Samsung after that experience.

I finally said screw it and tend to just like my Oppo. It works and their support is second to none, but of course its twice the price of even the better players. The only issue's Ive seen with Samsung players lately is they have some slight color space errors on output, but they are improved with the newest models. I would most likely have them on my list if I was looking for something for a family member. LG was the same way, took them a little bit longer than Panasonic and Sony to make a reliable blu-ray product, like I said I just hate the XMB interface sony uses.

http://www.hometheat...-the-bench.html

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

For streaming, Ive had issues out of Panasonic, but not Sony. I think some of them just dont like certain setups, which is why I use Roku for all of that. I focus more on disc playback abilities.

I've owned two Samsungs, one was the $800 first blu-ray player the BDP-1000 (IIRC) and it was a tank, but the PQ was soft and they did not support it well. I had another a year or two later and the FW support SUCKED! Now I agree they have gotten better, but I just have this thing with Samsung after that experience.

I finally said screw it and tend to just like my Oppo. It works and their support is second to none, but of course its twice the price of even the better players. The only issue's Ive seen with Samsung players lately is they have some slight color space errors on output, but they are improved with the newest models. I would most likely have them on my list if I was looking for something for a family member. LG was the same way, took them a little bit longer than Panasonic and Sony to make a reliable blu-ray product, like I said I just hate the XMB interface sony uses.

http://www.hometheat...-the-bench.html

I've never been a big Sammy fan, I just tried the E6500 because I was a bit disgusted with the Panny BD player I was using.  I was stunned by how well the 6500 upscaled streaming content.  I had tried to watch a Star Trek movie on my Panny player and couldn't put up with the PQ.   That movie on the E6500 played so well it was like night and day between the two players.  I immediately (for me that's a couple days) bought another 6500.  

Rich 

#17 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, some of em do not do well with streaming. I can watch Amazon VOD on the Sony, and then turn around with the Roku 3, and the Roku looks better

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

#18 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,073 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

Newer ones will tend to have newer/better hardware and software so anytime you upgrade you're more likely to find the newer one upscales better, handles streaming better, etc. For several years the best Blu Ray player you could buy (without spending 4 digits) was a PS3, mainly because it had much better hardware than any dedicated player, and had more developers working on its software than all other Blu Ray players combined.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Yeah, some of em do not do well with streaming. I can watch Amazon VOD on the Sony, and then turn around with the Roku 3, and the Roku looks better

I was referring to streaming in my posts.  I don't see much difference in the way any BDs are played as far as PQ goes.  Roku does put out a more than decent 720p but that same content is upscaled to 1080p on my BD players.   I realize the "Super HD" on NF plays as well on the Rokus as it does on my BD players.  It's the content that is not "Super HD" that I'm talking about.  

PC Richards is selling the Sony 5100 today for $99.  Really good price.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Newer ones will tend to have newer/better hardware and software so anytime you upgrade you're more likely to find the newer one upscales better, handles streaming better, etc. For several years the best Blu Ray player you could buy (without spending 4 digits) was a PS3, mainly because it had much better hardware than any dedicated player, and had more developers working on its software than all other Blu Ray players combined.

Tried my son's PS3 against a Sammy E6500 and didn't see any difference when streaming the same content to both as far as PQ goes.  Both put up a really good picture.

Rich

spam firewall