Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need advice...Whole Home DVR install coming up.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

I currently have a 6 DVR setup (3-HR21-100's, 1-HR22-100, 1-Sat-T60 and 1-R15-100) without WHDVR service. Two months ago I aborted a Directv WHDVR, Genie and client install when after 3 attempts they still had not done anything. First guy had wrong equipment, didn't show up next day etc. The install, the Genie and the client were to be free due to my account standing or something.

Recently, I called Directv to install it again. This is what they said;

It will now cost $100 for the Genie, client and installation. There is no guarantee which Genie I will get but it will probably be the HR34. 
They also explained that there was another 'promotion' which included an a totally free HD DVR, HD receiver and installation of WHDVR. I then asked them whether they would install an HR44 if I could find one online. They said that unless they provided the Genie at the time of the order it couldn't be done. They went on to say that maybe the installer would install the HR44 for an additional fee. There was no mention of any refund for the HR44. This is what I did;

I purchased an HR44 Genie online. I ordered WHDVR and the free promotion that included the HD DVR, HD receiver and installation.

My questions are...

1) Does the install of WHDVR require a new dish?
2) How much additional work has to be done to add the HR44 to an existing WHDVR service? 
3) Is my new HR44 covered by my protection plan?
4) Was this a good idea?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I look forward to reading your responses.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,916 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Your not saying what is replacing what for us to figure out your total tuner count.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

And we've got to know how the R15 and legacy receiver are being handled.

#4 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

1.  If your dish is an AT-9 or a round dish, then you need to replace it because the HR44 requires SWM.  If you have a 3 or 5 LNB AU-9 with 4 coax coming from it, then you don't need to replace your dish.  You can replace your WB68 multiswitch with a SWM16 module which will support 16 SWM tuners and 4 legacy tuners.  The HR44 has 5 tuners.

2.  All DVRs need to be connected to an Ethernet in order to support Whole Home.  You can either run an Ethernet cable to each DVR or order the CCK (Cinema connection kit) which requires one Ethernet connection to it and the Ethernet signal is then sent to all DVRs through the coax connection.

3.  When you purchase a HR44 through Amazon or Solid Signal or WeakKnees or any other internet location, you are paying for a lease on the HR44.  DirecTV still owns it, so it will be covered by your protection plan once you activate it.

4.  The HR44 is the best DVR I have ever owned.  It is very fast and a real pleasure to use. 

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,756 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

1.  If your dish is an AT-9 or a round dish, then you need to replace it because the HR44 requires SWM.  If you have a 3 or 5 LNB AU-9 with 4 coax coming from it, then you don't need to replace your dish.  You can replace your WB68 multiswitch with a SWM16 module which will support 16 SWM tuners and 4 legacy tuners.  The HR44 has 5 tuners.

2.  All DVRs need to be connected to an Ethernet in order to support Whole Home.  You can either run an Ethernet cable to each DVR or order the CCK (Cinema connection kit) which requires one Ethernet connection to it and the Ethernet signal is then sent to all DVRs through the coax connection.

3.  When you purchase a HR44 through Amazon or Solid Signal or WeakKnees or any other internet location, you are paying for a lease on the HR44.  DirecTV still owns it, so it will be covered by your protection plan once you activate it.

4.  The HR44 is the best DVR I have ever owned.  It is very fast and a real pleasure to use. 

#2 is not quite correct.  The 3 HR21s plus the HR21 would need a DECA home adapter each.  the TS can then use the R44 as a bridge or use a CCK instead

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Whole Home work fine with an Ethernet connection running into each DVR.  I have an HR44 and 2 HR21s connected to an Ethernet hub with Ethernet cables.  I have no DECAs.  You only need a DECA on the HR21s if you intend to run the Ethernet through the coax.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

Whole Home work fine with an Ethernet connection running into each DVR.  I have an HR44 and 2 HR21s connected to an Ethernet hub with Ethernet cables.  I have no DECAs.  You only need a DECA on the HR21s if you intend to run the Ethernet through the coax.

DirecTV doesn't install Whole Home service "unsupported", which means ethernet.

They use DECA as it is supported.

A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,756 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

Whole Home work fine with an Ethernet connection running into each DVR.  

No one said it would not work, but as VOS said, is not what DirecTV installs....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

Your not saying what is replacing what for us to figure out your total tuner count.

Sorry about that...

I am replacing the Sat-T60 with the HD DVR, the R15 with the HD receiver and the HR44 will move close to the router in an office upstairs and the DVR in it's place will move elsewhere. This will give me seven machines.

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

Sorry about that...

I am replacing the Sat-T60 with the HD DVR, the R15 with the HD receiver and the HR44 will move close to the router in an office upstairs and the DVR in it's place will move elsewhere. This will give me seven machines.

So you will end up with 3-HR21, 1-HR22, one "HD DVR", one "HD RCVR", and one Genie, correct?  That totals 16 tuners, which is the maximum an SWM16 can support, so it should work. You will need to have the Genie, one DVR and the receiver on one side of the SWM16, and four DVRs on the other side.  Hopefully the installer is experienced enough to do a 16 tuner install.

#11 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

Directv changed out my dish a couple of years ago when I got HD. I will have to get some binoculars to see it as it resides on my roof. I will look for the cables and LNB. Two months ago, when Directv came to install whole home and a Genie, the installer took a quick glance at my system and said he couldn't do the job. I never found out exactly why. Maybe he didn't have the new dish on his truck, or some other integral part.

#12 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

So you will end up with 3-HR21, 1-HR22, one "HD DVR", one "HD RCVR", and one Genie, correct?  That totals 16 tuners, which is the maximum an SWM16 can support, so it should work. You will need to have the Genie, one DVR and the receiver on one side of the SWM16, and four DVRs on the other side.  Hopefully the installer is experienced enough to do a 16 tuner install.

Will the amount of tuners degrade the signal and worsen the picture quality? I know this was a factor before with the multiswitch when I ventured past 8.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

Will the amount of tuners degrade the signal and worsen the picture quality? I know this was a factor before with the multiswitch when I ventured past 8.

If the install is done correctly, it won't be a problem.

A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

Directv changed out my dish a couple of years ago when I got HD. I will have to get some binoculars to see it as it resides on my roof. I will look for the cables and LNB. Two months ago, when Directv came to install whole home and a Genie, the installer took a quick glance at my system and said he couldn't do the job. I never found out exactly why. Maybe he didn't have the new dish on his truck, or some other integral part.

You have to use binoculars? Where on your roof is your dish located?

If the dish location requires the installer to leave his ladder, that might have been the reason that stopped him from doing the job (OSHA Fall Protection regulations).

But he should have told you why he couldn't do the job.  Especially if that was the reason because it could stop your scheduled installation.

#15 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

If the dish location requires the installer to leave his ladder, that might have been the reason that stopped him from doing the job (OSHA Fall Protection regulations).

But he should have told you why he couldn't do the job.  Especially if that was the reason because it could stop your scheduled installation.

He would definitely have to leave his ladder to do the install. My dish used to be located on my chimney and it was relocated to the roof near the chimney. Your theory makes sense because he really didn't look at much of anything else.

#16 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

I believe the dish has to be on the very top of the roof due to horizon trees. We got hit hard by Sandy here but not hard enough I guess)-;

#17 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

Then I hope for your sake a different installer shows up. I'm guessing he won't even get out the binoculars this time.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,756 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Piece of cake!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,756 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Then I hope for your sake a different installer shows up. I'm guessing he won't even get out the binoculars this time.

Another round of the same.....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

But he should have told you why he couldn't do the job.  Especially if that was the reason because it could stop your scheduled installation

Piece of cake! 

It looks like I have an SL3 slimline LNB that is non-swm. There is more than one cable coming out of it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...