Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Broadcasters take their case against Aereo to the Supreme Court & Win

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

AEREO must gave some special patents on genetic manipulation, too.

They'd have to breed some very, very small machinists, to have them crawl inside there and "tune" those antennas to different channels every time.

FILTERS could be used to change the tuning of each receiver, but that would be the same technology that's been used for decades, in TV sets and Cable TV processors.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Aereo holds four releated patents:
20120127363 – Antenna system with individually addressable elements in dense array
20120127374 – System and method for providing network access to antenna feeds
20120129479 – Method and system for processing antenna feeds using separate processing pipelines
20120131621 – System and method for providing network access to individually recorded content

Source: http://anewdomain.ne...o-antenna-tech/

Thanks for doing this!  I was going to pull up their patents this weekend, but you beat me to it.

They work exactly the way I thought they would work.  The antenna is an array (it's in the title of the patent), and each element within it is addressable.  That's not really a new idea.  But the proper definition of "antenna" would be the entire array.  You need the effects of the entire array to get a decent signal from any of its individual elements.  An individual element cannot get a decent enough signal on its own.

So customers are sharing an antenna and are paying to access a tiny bit of it.

Whether that has any bearing on the larger issue at hand depends on how "receiving" and "rebroadcasting" are defined.

Also, note that no one can copy Aereo's design without paying them a royalty.  If the royalty is more (or even slightly less) than the rebroadcast fees, what's the point?

Edited by bobcamp1, 04 November 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#83 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for doing this!  I was going to pull up their patents this weekend, but you beat me to it.

They work exactly the way I thought they would work.  The antenna is an array (it's in the title of the patent), and each element within it is addressable.  That's not really a new idea.  But the proper definition of "antenna" would be the entire array.  You need the effects of the entire array to get a decent signal from any of its individual elements.  An individual element cannot get a decent enough signal on its own.

How do you know the latter? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#84 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

How do you know the latter? 

Physics.  And I read the patent.  Isolation is not mentioned at all in the patent, and the fact they use the word "array" all the time strongly implies that each element isn't designed to get the signal on its own.  

There are several antenna arrays, and each array is further divided into groups.  Each group is tuned for one specific channel, though there may be multiple groups assigned to a specific channel across multiple arrays.  When you request to tune into channel A, you dynamically get assigned an element that belongs to the group that is already tuned into channel A.  If you change to channel B, then the element you were using is released (but stays tuned to channel A) and you are dynamically assigned an element to a group that was already tuned to channel B.  Element assignment is based on several factors including RSSI.  This allows them to cherry-pick the best elements for use, which means there are elements that could be sacrificial.

The patent does its typical "patent thing" and also covers other similar-but-not-implemented implementations, but theirs is most likely the first one mentioned in the patent because it has the most detail and other patents (including mine) are written like that.  It does cover the implementation of one element permanently assigned to a user, though doesn't say how well it would work.  It also says that each array can have different sized elements, which would address James Long's and my concern over how each element could cover the three different bands on its own (it can't, but doesn't have to.  One could buy or lease three different-sized elements or one element that is permanently tuned for each TV station).

#85 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

Physics.  And I read the patent.  Isolation is not mentioned at all in the patent, and the fact they use the word "array" all the time strongly implies that each element isn't designed to get the signal on its own.

They are trying to push their claim with "individually addressable elements", "separate processing pipelines" and "individually recorded content". I'd love to run a packet sniffer on the internal network to see how everything stays dedicated to the individual.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#86 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

The problem is that the legal definition of retransmitting doesn't include Internet point-to-point communication.  If you have a Hopper or SlingBox or an "Advanced" DirecTV DVR that can stream your video, it could also then be technically retransmitting the broadcast signal.

The legal definition needs to open up to be technology free ... otherwise FIOS could retransmit any station anywhere without permission or payment.

What Aereo does is lease you a tuner+antenna combination and then allows you to access "your" antenna+tuner via the Internet.

That is the theory ... but there is a lot more shared resources in the Aereo model than with individually owned and operated antenna / tuner / recorder setups.

In theory, it would be no different for them to have 5,000,000 Dish Hoppers and receivers set up and allowed you to access "your" DVR through the Dish app (although this would violate Dish's terms of service, the technical and legal hurdle WRT the broadcasters would be the same.)

The broadcasters will NEVER be 100% happy with any arrangement where their signal is retransmitted. But looking at it realistically, "hosting" in the same market (not violating distribution rules and blackouts) would probably be permitted by the courts ... and a Sling / Hopper combination would have both the permission and payment that comes with a subscription to the service. The channels can charge DISH for such a rebroadcast. Aereo isn't paying the stations.

However, the courts have not ruled so far that using Sling or other technology to watch your DVR's programs from a remote location violates copyright in any way.

Other than the integration with some DISH products Sling is a separate product that is owned and operated by the consumer. In the battle over Aereo the broadcasters have attacked Sling (claiming that the rights they sold DISH to rebroadcast their signals to homes does NOT include devices outside the home).

I'm not sure how this case will end ... and how much of a landmark it will be. It has the potential to remove a lot of restrictions on broadcast retransmission or to add further restrictions. Stay tuned ...
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#87 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

Stay tuned on a single tuner or on an array?!!  :)

Very interesting stuff this is! 

#88 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 771 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

SCOTUS has agreed to hear the case :)

HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#89 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

Excellent.

#90 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

SCOTUS has been pretty much bought and paid for by NAB/MPAA/RIAA and big business in general, so I don't expect a ruling in favor of consumers.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#91 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,681 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Aereo vs. TV networks case will be heard by the Supreme Court

Other than Aereo's fledgling service, at stake is the ability of broadcasters to charge pay-TV companies for the right to carry their signals. If Aereo wins, there have been indications that cable/satellite services might buy it or build their own version, cutting the broadcasters out of a large sum of cash.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#92 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

I wish CBS (and the other networks) would take their content to a "cable only" distribution.  That would allow the local broadcasters to innovate a little bit, and offer more locally interesting content, more local news and weather, and mix it up.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#93 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

Be careful what you ask for.

Taking the network content off the local stations might be what kills local broadcasting -  so instead of 4-10 independent stations  (average) per market - you MIGHT be able to have 1-2 , whose programming will mainly consist of the syndicated shows (like Steve Harvey, Ellen, Maurey Povich, etc.), with SOME locally produced news.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#94 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

I am disappointed that PBS appears to have joined the bad guys here. 

#95 OFFLINE   ws_sw

ws_sw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

you realize since 99 when the FCC tried to force all OTA braodcasters to turn over the spectrum and were forces to stop it, there next schemes are these audtions to buy/force spectrum holders to hand over there OTA spectrum.  so they can sell it for wireless mbile junk.

The founder of AERO is a frontman / public face for the FCC who wants to end free tv in this country.

#96 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

The founder of AERO is a frontman / public face for the FCC who wants to end free tv in this country.

Its not free if you have to pay for it.  I know of no one, personally, who doesnt have to pay for "Free TV". 

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#97 OFFLINE   ws_sw

ws_sw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Its not free if you have to pay for it.  I know of no one, personally, who doesnt have to pay for "Free TV". 

you very well knew I was talking about the content aka OTA channels

#98 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:25 AM

It is high-time that the TV-cable-broadcast system is disrupted.  This mess that has been going on for decades and must change.  It took a near collapse in sales for the music industry to change (and finally accept digital)...unfortunately a collapse of cable/sattellite subscribers is the only thing that will convince them to change.  

Edited by tpm1999, 11 January 2014 - 05:34 AM.

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#99 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

you very well knew I was talking about the content aka OTA channels

Right, and even if it is free with an OTA antenna, I know of no one that doesnt have to pay for it.  I get all my OTA channels "free" with my antenna, but both DirecTv and Comcast charge me for them anyway, with no option to "opt out".  

#100 OFFLINE   ws_sw

ws_sw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Right, and even if it is free with an OTA antenna, I know of no one that doesnt have to pay for it.  I get all my OTA channels "free" with my antenna, but both DirecTv and Comcast charge me for them anyway, with no option to "opt out".  

Thwy won't admit it besides I have locals available and I do not pay for them / even have them on my Directv system. I was able to opt-out

Protected By... spam firewall...And...