Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR24-100 Freezing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NateCohen

NateCohen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

Hello I have a DirecTV HR24-100.  The problem I'm having is the box just constantly freezes.  I only watch live TV.

I'm watching the ALCS right now and every 5-10 minutes the feed will just freeze.  No pixelation or anything.  I tried changing the box throughout the house, but am having the same issue.

I have another HD DVR in the house, but that never has the freezing issue...just this box.

I called DirecTV and they are sending a new box out, but was wondering if there's a fix for this issue since I'm trying to watch the baseball game and it just happens constantly.

Also when it freezes nothing works...no guide or anything.  I guess it sounds like it might have a bad hard drive.

Edited by NateCohen, 12 October 2013 - 07:08 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,520 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

lol They are sending him a new box.... 

#4 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.  

Boy. I wish I had had this information two weeks ago. We just recorded all the season premiers on the bedroom receiver (HR24-100) and it croaked the following weekend. This may have worked long enough so we could have at least watched one or two of them. This is more diagnostic than the procedure D* tech folks used when they had me "prove" that the DVR was bad. I am going to save this for future reference.

The D* swap was very fast. Called with the problem Monday. Had the replacement receiver Tuesday. You can't beat that.

Edited by BobStokesbary, 14 October 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Boy. I wish I had had this information two weeks ago. We just recorded all the season premiers on the bedroom receiver (HR24-100) and it croaked the following weekend. This may have worked long enough so we could have at least watched one or two of them. This is more diagnostic than the procedure D* tech folks used when they had me "prove" that the DVR was bad. I am going to save this for future reference.

The D* swap was very fast. Called with the problem Monday. Had the replacement receiver Tuesday. You can't beat that.

Your issue is exactly why I keep a 2nd DVR and have my Series Links on both.  Most of us here recommend two DVRs to those asking about new set ups, or upgrades to the Genie.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

Your issue is exactly why I keep a 2nd DVR and have my Series Links on both.  Most of us here recommend two DVRs to those asking about new set ups, or upgrades to the Genie.

Even two HRs is really not enough, I think.  But then, I've got a little OCD problem.    :rolling:

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,520 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

Even two HRs is really not enough, I think.  But then, I've got a little OCD problem.    :rolling:

Rich

No, not OCD, but a hoarding issue... !rolling

• Rich likes this

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall