Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Distance for installing SWM-8 downstream of SWM-16

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   socaldtv2911

socaldtv2911

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

I currently have a SWM-16 with two 8-way splitters for the main house. The distance between the dish and SWM-16 is about 80 ft over RG-6. The signals on all the receivers are great, no problems there.

I'm building a pool house and want to add a SWM-8 to the mix, by installing a SWM-E2 expander and connecting the SWM-16 and SWM-8 together. The SWM-8 in the pool house will be another 175' from the SWM-16. Do I need to install an amp to connect the SWM-8 for the pool house via the SWM-E2? Any recommendations on what I should do in order to get another SWM-8 hooked up for this?

Thanks ...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

I currently have a SWM-16 with two 8-way splitters for the main house. The distance between the dish and SWM-16 is about 80 ft over RG-6. The signals on all the receivers are great, no problems there.

I'm building a pool house and want to add a SWM-8 to the mix, by installing a SWM-E2 expander and connecting the SWM-16 and SWM-8 together. The SWM-8 in the pool house will be another 175' from the SWM-16. Do I need to install an amp to connect the SWM-8 for the pool house via the SWM-E2? Any recommendations on what I should do in order to get another SWM-8 hooked up for this?

Thanks ...

If I were you I would install a second dish....

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

The SWM-E2 has push-on connectors so the SWiM-16 & SWM8 would need to be connected directly to it.

The SWM8's output can be sent to the pool house and you can use this for the 175' run: http://www.solidsign...mplifiers&sku=c

A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   socaldtv2911

socaldtv2911

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

texasbrit: I was trying to avoid installing a second dish for asthetic reasons.

veryoldschool: So basically I need to connect the SWM16 and SWM8 together with the SWM-E2 in the main house and connect the output of the SWM8 to the SWMA2 and feed that output to the poolhouse, where I can hookup an 8-way splitter and hook up the receivers?

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

texasbrit: I was trying to avoid installing a second dish for asthetic reasons.

veryoldschool: So basically I need to connect the SWM16 and SWM8 together with the SWM-E2 in the main house and connect the output of the SWM8 to the SWMA2 and feed that output to the poolhouse, where I can hookup an 8-way splitter and hook up the receivers?

How many receivers in the poolhouse? I haven't done the loss calculation but I suspect VOS like me might have been assuming only one receiver in the poolhouse, not an 8-way split.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

How many receivers in the poolhouse? I haven't done the loss calculation but I suspect VOS like me might have been assuming only one receiver in the poolhouse, not an 8-way split.

The amp linked would compensate for the loss of the 175' run within a couple of dB, so the splitter/coax loss at the pool house shouldn't matter.

socaldtv2911,

I might mount the SWMA2 at the pool house before the splitter there. The SWM8's output will handle the loss to the pool house so boosting it there will cover the splitter/coax loss in the pool house.

The E2 is going to also add some loss to both SWiMs. This may not be an issue, but should it become one, adding this will solve it: 

http://www.solidsign...Amplifiers&sku=

You might want to add this too:

http://www.solidsign...rter-(5satpl-t)

This may be overkill, so I'd start without [other than the SWMA2] and see how it works.

I'm also not a big fan of the E2, as the same thing can be done with splitters cheaper.

Here's something worth a read for connecting more than one SWiM:

http://forums.solids...ers-in-the-home

A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   socaldtv2911

socaldtv2911

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

texasbrit: Initially there would be a HR44 and H25, so 6 tuners. Forgive my ignorance, but I assume I need an 8-way splitter for those two devices, since it's 6 tuners? I couldn't use a 2-way splitter?

veryoldschool: Thanks for the info, I like the idea of using the splitters instead of the E2. I'm thinking maybe I should run RG-11 to the pool house from the main house, to minimize the loss over that 175'. Then hook that up to the SMWA2 and then into whatever splitter is appropriate, 8-way, 4-way, 2-way, etc. Back to the splitters, do you need an 8-way splitter if you only have a single 5-tuner DVR? I guess I don't quite understand whether the splitter needs to match the number of tuners, rather than the number of receivers hooked up?

Thanks for the help ...

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,314 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

No, the splitter needs to "match" the number of receivers not tuners.  So a 2 way SWM splitter will do for those two boxes.  Running RG11 instead of RG6 is a very good idea indeed.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

Do you already have a Genie on the main house?  FYI, DirecTV is only allowing one Genie per account now.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   socaldtv2911

socaldtv2911

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

OK, good to know about the splitters, thanks.

I do not have a Genie on the account. I currently have an older HR34, so that's good to know on the limit of HR44s. Do you know if they have a limit on the number of HR34s ?

#11 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

OK, good to know about the splitters, thanks.

I do not have a Genie on the account. I currently have an older HR34, so that's good to know on the limit of HR44s. Do you know if they have a limit on the number of HR34s ?

LMAO!

Sorry.

An HR34/HR44 are both Genies.

One per account.

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

One Genie per account, that is either HR34 or HR44,  you can only have one.  no way around it short of having a second account!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

Running RG11 instead of RG6 is a very good idea indeed.

While RG11 has its place, I'm not sure this would be it.

175' would have about 5 dB less loss over RG6, but it would still have a good 10 dB of loss, so the amp would still be a good idea.

"If" the splitter & coax losses in the pool house would be less than 20 dB, "then" RG11 might be a good choice to not use an amp.

A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   socaldtv2911

socaldtv2911

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

Oh, whoops. I had no idea the HR34 could act as a "Genie", I thought it was only the newer HR44. So if I want multiple DVRs, I would need to buy the HR24 as the secondary and tertiary DVRs on the account?

I'm thinking I might run RG11 and not buy the amp and see how it goes. If the signal is too weak or marginal, then I'll buy the amp and put it inline.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

Since the difference in price is not that much, I would def go with RG11.  It never hurts to get better cable.

The HR34 does not act like a Genie, it is a Genie.  so your only choices as far as DVR is concern, is to get dual tuners DVRs until DVR approves multiple Genies per account 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,009 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

Oh, whoops. I had no idea the HR34 could act as a "Genie", I thought it was only the newer HR44. So if I want multiple DVRs, I would need to buy the HR24 as the secondary and tertiary DVRs on the account?

Yes, that is correct.  However you can have as many HR24s as you want.

My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

I too would recommend splitters or the SWM-E1 instead of the SWM-E2. The best thing to do in a case like yours would be a second dish, but putting that aside, an amplifier like the LA144R-T is the best choice.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

How many clients do you have for your HR34 now? Another option, depending on how many total tuners you need vs. simply having all the TVs connected, is to run ethernet to the pool house and use a DECA module to connect a Genie client or two. 

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

How many clients do you have for your HR34 now? Another option, depending on how many total tuners you need vs. simply having all the TVs connected, is to run ethernet to the pool house and use a DECA module to connect a Genie client or two. 

The clients need coax not ethernet 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

The clients need coax not ethernet 

You can use a DECA at each end of the ethernet cable to "convert" it back over coax for the client to connect to. It will work, I've done it before. One CCK handled one client without any issue at all, I have no idea if two clients would cause network congestion. 

spam firewall