Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NFL Sunday Ticket Cost/Benefit/Value Continues to Degrade

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

The title says it all; even with the 'slight' cost abatement the past couple of years, the NFL has continued to offload parts of 'the ticket' to other carriers, particularly Verizon Wireless.

Of course, Monday Night Football (MNF) has existed just about forever at this point.  But then they added Sunday Night, then Thursday Night, and sometimes multiple games on those nights so that instead of just that one (MNF) game, now it has grown to at least 3, sometimes 4, and upon occasion 5.  I'm sure at some point it will be 6 (MNF 2 games plus 2 games on both Sunday and Thursday night).

Then, on top of that, the NFL started selling Red Zone Channel to Verizon Wireless (although I must say that I, as a STMax sub, run it on my phone from the start of the first game to the end of the second, and totaling up the bits used, if I was on Verizon's data plan (instead of 'No Cap/real unlimited' Sprint) my wireless bill would be headed up to 4 digit territory! (I stream close to 30GB a month...!)

Then, Verizon Wireless adds the ability to stream actual games (like STMax!), but with some time limitations; good for that or that wireless bill would continue it's move toward maybe 5 digits...!

But really, where will this all end?  I think it has already eroded the 'exclusivity' of DirecTV, and maybe by next season they'll start selling mobile access to all comers (or simply keep expanding Verizon's chunk of it).    I think some others have commented on this possibility elsewhere, but it seems to have really hit home the last month or so since they started streaming hour long 'chunks' of the games.

Edited by 1948GG, 13 October 2013 - 02:52 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

I would imagine that all of that is going into the negotiations for the NFL ST renewal that is open right now and are all points DirecTV is raising to pay as little as possible for the renewal.

#3 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

Of course, Monday Night Football (MNF) has existed just about forever at this point.  But then they added Sunday Night, then Thursday Night, and sometimes multiple games on those nights so that instead of just that one (MNF) game, now it has grown to at least 3, sometimes 4, and upon occasion 5.  I'm sure at some point it will be 6 (MNF 2 games plus 2 games on both Sunday and Thursday night).

Doubleheader night NFL games? Can't see that happening. An additional weeknight game...I think that's more likely, but I don't see that coming in the immediate future.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#4 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

Doubleheader night NFL games? Can't see that happening. An additional weeknight game...I think that's more likely, but I don't see that coming in the immediate future.

So I take it you were, like, maybe out of the country the last few weeks?  We've had a doubeheader Monday (9 Sept ring a bell?), a doubleheader Sunday (how about 6 October?) and doubleheader Thursday is upcoming (28 November), although actually being Thanksgiving, it's now a TRIPLE HEADER with the typical Thanksgiving Dallas game that's been a yearly event for years and years, sharing the day with an early and late game (!).

Got football off Sunday morning/afternoon coming out one's ears.

#5 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

the NFL only have one Doubleheader night a year and its first Monday night of season and Thanksgiving, and they really can't add a Saturday Night game until week 13? i think because there is law where is said their can't be NFL play when High School or College

#6 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

the NFL only have one Doubleheader night a year and its first Monday night of season and Thanksgiving, and they really can't add a Saturday Night game until week 13? i think because there is law where is said their can't be NFL play when High School or College

Well I guess that doubleheader Sunday was a figment of my imagination (along with millions of others).

And I'll also figure you've not lived much around the country, as there are TONS of states and communities where high school football is played on Thursday night instead of Friday, not to mention the college games scattered all over the calendar. 

Just sayin...

#7 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 593 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Well I guess that doubleheader Sunday was a figment of my imagination (along with millions of others).

And I'll also figure you've not lived much around the country, as there are TONS of states and communities where high school football is played on Thursday night instead of Friday, not to mention the college games scattered all over the calendar. 

Just sayin...

The doubleheader Sunday was a result of an Oakland Athletics playoff game on Saturday and the inability of the field crew to change the field over to football in time for a 4:00 PM (EST) game. It was not prescheduled.

I think the ban on Friday night games during the high school season and Saturday games during college season is contained in the legislation giving the NFL an anti-trust exemption for television rights.

#8 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

Just sayin...

He is correct about the law on Friday/Saturday: http://en.wikipedia....ing_Act_of_1961

With regards to the original post topic.... the games that the NFL is taking from NFL ST are likely to be above-average quality games, so we're not talking about simply the number of games.  Many people buy NFL ST to follow one team, and many of the popular teams (Steelers, Cowboys, etc.) have 50-60% of their games available without Sunday Ticket.

#9 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

...with the typical Thanksgiving Dallas game that's been a yearly event for years and years, sharing the day with an early and late game (!).

Sharing the day with an "early" and late game? The Lions have been playing on Thanksgiving since the 40's. They play the "typical" Thanksgiving Day game. The carpetbagging Cowboys didn't start doing it until the 60's. (Can you guess which team I like? :) )

#10 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

So I take it you were, like, maybe out of the country the last few weeks?  We've had a doubeheader Monday (9 Sept ring a bell?), a doubleheader Sunday (how about 6 October?) and doubleheader Thursday is upcoming (28 November), although actually being Thanksgiving, it's now a TRIPLE HEADER with the typical Thanksgiving Dallas game that's been a yearly event for years and years, sharing the day with an early and late game (!).

There's been a doubleheader on the opening Monday since MNF moved to ESPN in 2006 and the Thursday Night games debuted the same year on the NFL Network. The Sunday Night doubleheader you mention only occurred because of MLB Playoff scheduling conflict. Do you really think the NFL wants to start a game after 11 PM EST? 

Again, what makes you think that there will be doubleheaders as part of the regular schedule on Sun., Mon., and Thurs. nights?

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#11 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

the East Coast won't put up that none sense all the time, the game last Sunday that started at 11:35 probably won't happen again, but if a baseball situation come again it interest how they hand it

#12 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

the East Coast won't put up that none sense all the time, the game last Sunday that started at 11:35 probably won't happen again, but if a baseball situation come again it interest how they hand it

Can the NFL force the MLB to make them change there time tables?

I think it was 2 years ago the Metrodome Roof Collapses forced a game to be moved and that was local and Sunday ticket only.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#13 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

Can the NFL force the MLB to make them change there time tables?

I think it was 2 years ago the Metrodome Roof Collapses forced a game to be moved and that was local and Sunday ticket only.

I'm sure when it comes to multi-tenant venues, who gets priority is set in the leases between the stadium and the teams. In terms of the Metrodome collapse, in an emergency situation, they probably just have to work it out in a gentlemen's agreement.

#14 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

remember Oakland is the last of the "multi-tenant venues" so its probably won't happen again

#15 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

Cast your mind back to opening night: Baltimore had to go on the road due to an Orioles game. They don't share a stadium, but they share parking. I'm sure there's other places where that applies.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#16 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Seattle both teams share the parking, but have separate buildings.

Cast your mind back to opening night: Baltimore had to go on the road due to an Orioles game. They don't share a stadium, but they share parking. I'm sure there's other places where that applies.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#17 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

The fact that the NFL essentially eliminated December Saturday games to add the Thursday package suggests that the NFL knows it's reached equilibrium. They're even careful with the Thursday package, giving each team only one half week of practice before a Thursday game.

They're not just going to keep adding as many slots as they can.

(Frankly, I miss the Saturday games. I'd give up a couple weeks of Thursday games to get those back in December.)

#18 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:33 AM

(Frankly, I miss the Saturday games. I'd give up a couple weeks of Thursday games to get those back in December.)

Agreed. Have never really embraced the Thursday Night games, unless the Giants or Lions are playing. More often than not I even forget and stumble across it later in the night with an "Oh yeah, football is on" kind of realization. 

#19 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

They only had the doubleheader Sunday because of a stadium conflict with the Baseball playoffs. There have been two games on Thanksgiving for years, the 3rd game is a result of Thursday Night Football which is the only actual change from the past.

#20 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

Agreed. Have never really embraced the Thursday Night games, unless the Giants or Lions are playing. More often than not I even forget and stumble across it later in the night with an "Oh yeah, football is on" kind of realization. 

I actually like Thursday football, and the ratings are growing significantly.

But if the choice is between 15 weeks of Thursday games with no Saturday games in December, or maybe 12 weeks of Thursday games with three Saturday games in December, I'd choose the latter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...