Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NFL Sunday Ticket Cost/Benefit/Value Continues to Degrade

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,556 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

They're probably moving away from Saturday games in December because college football continues to expand into December. All the conference championships are in the first week in December, and bowl games take up the last Saturday or two in December. There are only two Saturdays that are free.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

They're probably moving away from Saturday games in December because college football continues to expand into December. All the conference championships are in the first week in December, and bowl games take up the last Saturday or two in December. There are only two Saturdays that are free.

Trust me, the NFL isn't worried about college football. The only reason the NFL isn't playing on Friday and Saturday all year is because they aren't allowed to by law.

They moved the Saturday games because of the Thursday package. That's been reported pretty widely as fact. And they made it up to CBS/FOX/ESPN (which previously carried those Saturday games) by giving both FOX and CBS doubleheaders in week 17 and ESPN the extra game in week 1.

If anything, college football is playing bowl games on Saturdays because the NFL isn't, not the other way around. If CFB is prince, NFL is still king.

Edited by renbutler, 15 October 2013 - 12:23 PM.

• pdxBeav likes this

#23 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

Came across this when I was checking scores on ESPN.com: http://espn.go.com/n...-thursday-games 

I have to say I feel the same way as some others in this thread, Thursday games, other than Thanksgiving, have yet to become art of my routine. Maybe the NFL feels if they shove additional games through "additional outlets" then it will. Then again, maybe it's just a grab for more revenue.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#24 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

Trust me, the NFL isn't worried about college football. The only reason the NFL isn't playing on Friday and Saturday all year is because they aren't allowed to by law.

They moved the Saturday games because of the Thursday package. That's been reported pretty widely as fact. And they made it up to CBS/FOX/ESPN (which previously carried those Saturday games) by giving both FOX and CBS doubleheaders in week 17 and ESPN the extra game in week 1.

If anything, college football is playing bowl games on Saturdays because the NFL isn't, not the other way around. If CFB is prince, NFL is still king.

Originally the NFL made a deal with the NCAA that it would not play Saturday games if colleges would not play Sunday games. At that time college football was king and the NFL was struggling to build a fan base. Now of course the NFL has the power and they can do what the want but except for those couple of late season Saturday games they stay away from treading on the NCAAs toes.

#25 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

With regards to the original post topic.... the games that the NFL is taking from NFL ST are likely to be above-average quality games, so we're not talking about simply the number of games. 

Kinda like this coming Monday Night's game...the Minnesota Vikings (1-4) at the NY Giants (0-6).  :eek:

But your point is partially valid, as later in the season can flex in games from Sunday afternoon.

Sandra

#26 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

Originally the NFL made a deal with the NCAA that it would not play Saturday games if colleges would not play Sunday games. At that time college football was king and the NFL was struggling to build a fan base. Now of course the NFL has the power and they can do what the want but except for those couple of late season Saturday games they stay away from treading on the NCAAs toes.

The late season Saturday games no longer exist, and when they did exist the games were in late December, after the college regular season had ended.

Sandra

#27 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

Came across this when I was checking scores on ESPN.com: http://espn.go.com/n...-thursday-games

I have to say I feel the same way as some others in this thread, Thursday games, other than Thanksgiving, have yet to become art of my routine. Maybe the NFL feels if they shove additional games through "additional outlets" then it will. Then again, maybe it's just a grab for more revenue.

I gotta say that this is a little bit surprising.

Of course, they can still do this without adding another short week by giving teams two consecutive Thursday games.

#28 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

the NFL can't enough money, if does ruin this league, the players don't want this!

#29 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

I gotta say that this is a little bit surprising.

Of course, they can still do this without adding another short week by giving teams two consecutive Thursday games.

NBCSN was looking at getting some Thursday games but the NFL did not like there idea to not have the games on OTA tv in the local team areas.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#30 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

the NFL can't enough money, if does ruin this league, the players don't want this!

Look at the ratings. Everything they touch is turning to gold. There's no reason they shouldn't keep trying things, and stick with what works and change what doesn't. It's a business, and there's nothing wrong with that. Without money, the league doesn't exist and thrive.

As for the players, they'll have their say. Nothing will happen without NFLPA approval.

Edited by renbutler, 16 October 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

With regards to the original post topic.... the games that the NFL is taking from NFL ST are likely to be above-average quality games, so we're not talking about simply the number of games. 

Thats not really true.

The 13 NFLN games are the 26 teams that dont play thanksgiving.

So that accually hurts NFLN because instead of being able to show teams like cowboys,packers,ravens they have to show jaguars,bucs.

#32 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,556 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thats not really true.

The 13 NFLN games are the 26 teams that dont play thanksgiving.

So that accually hurts NFLN because instead of being able to show teams like cowboys,packers,ravens they have to show jaguars,bucs.

The Lions and the Cowboys are the only teams that always play Thanksgiving. So NFLN will be able to show games involving any of the other 30. I don't see how it hurts them to be able to show the Patriots, Broncos, Bears, and so on and only have two teams they don't ever show.

People would watch a Thanksgiving game even if it was the Jaguars vs the Bucs because it is Thanksgiving and people have the day off and it has become a tradition to watch football that afternoon.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#33 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

The Lions and the Cowboys are the only teams that always play Thanksgiving. So NFLN will be able to show games involving any of the other 30. I don't see how it hurts them to be able to show the Patriots, Broncos, Bears, and so on and only have two teams they don't ever show.

Ever, perhaps. But in a given season, NFL Network will be showing only 26 teams, and it must by rule include one game for the Jags, Bucs, Browns, Bills, etc. (assuming those teams don't get a rare TG game). This year NFLN cannot show the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, or Ravens, because those teams already have short-week games on TG.

The other networks pay huge money for the Sunday afternoon and evening packages, and even the Monday package, so NFLN isn't going to poach a bunch of blockbuster matchups for Thursday, even if doubleheaders are added. There are only so many possible matchups they can show, which is why they get a lot of mid-tier and some low-tier divisional games.

Edited by renbutler, 16 October 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

Some sports shows yesterday were talking about a 2nd Thursday night game to be sold to a streaming company like Netflix, etc. I don't think that will happen but the NFL is always looking at ideas for more revenue.

#35 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

Some sports shows yesterday were talking about a 2nd Thursday night game to be sold to a streaming company like Netflix, etc. I don't think that will happen but the NFL is always looking at ideas for more revenue.

they need commercials, can you put commercials on Netfilx?, i see a network like the USA Network

#36 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

they need commercials, can you put commercials on Netfilx?

I'm sure they could if they wanted. For example, there are commercials inserted during the streaming baseball games on MLB.TV.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#37 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

There are only so many possible matchups they can show, which is why they get a lot of mid-tier and some low-tier divisional games.

Right thats what i mean that because of these restrictions they cant get many above avg quality matchups.

If SNF games are an A+ & MNF are B then NFLN is a C-.

So unless they want to change the rules thats all they are meant to be like an extra supplement to the week. 

Edited by dcowboy7, 17 October 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

The late season Saturday games no longer exist, and when they did exist the games were in late December, after the college regular season had ended.

Sandra

Now they conflict on Thursdays with both a college game and a pro game on at the same time. Last night Miami vs North Carolina and Seattle vs Arizona.

#39 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

Yes, but there is no legal requirement for NFL to avoid Thursdays. They do, however have to avoid Friday (most high school games) and Saturday (most college games) until the middle of December.

Colleges can play on any day they want, but they are protected only on Saturdays.

#40 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

they need commercials, can you put commercials on Netfilx?, i see a network like the USA Network

Why do they "need" commercials? There's no requirement that a football game broadcast have commercials. The NFL is going to sell the rights for a set price, and if Netflix didn't want to sell commercials they wouldn't have to.

At any rate, there's also no reason they couldn't put commercials on Netflix, other than customer perception. The video feed would be produced normally just like any football game, including commercial breaks, and then it would be fed into Netflix's encoding system. There's no technical hurdle there.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...