Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NFL Sunday Ticket Cost/Benefit/Value Continues to Degrade

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Hulu Plus has commercials and they're a steaming service as well. It would be easy to sell ads for an NFL game.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

I liked what I heard on Inside the NFL last week. Move the Thursday games to Monday, and simply do two MNF games. One starting at 5:30 and the 2nd at 8:30. You could even have one be an AFC and one an NFC game every week, and label each one as the 'AFC Game of the Week and NFC Game of the Week'. I'm sure something could be worked out. :D Not to mention, it would take away the short weeks, which I think have an impact on team performance.

--

As a side note, the ST would never lose value for me because i'm out of market for the Patriots, so without it, i wouldn't get to see every Patriots game each season.

Edited by HinterXGames, 21 October 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

A game starting that early simply isn't feasible on a Monday. a 5:30 PM Eastern game would be starting at 2:30 PM Pacific, chewing into half of the potential audience. That isn't even considering the fact that most people can't get off work and make it to a football stadium in that amount of time. You would essentially be restricting the early game to east coast teams only.

For what it's worth, on Sunday Night Football last night they quoted "sources very very close to the discussions" or high up in the NFL...basically quoting the NFL officially, that adding another Thursday game was not on the table. They did say that they are open to splitting the *current* package of Thursday games with half of the games staying with the NFL Network and the other half "going to another network" (no indication on whether or not that means online or not). One primary issue noted was that the NFLPA already doesn't like the short week for two teams and the union would be opposed to expanding that to two more teams.

Edited by JosephB, 21 October 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

Well, you could do what they've done a couple times instead, which is have an east coast game @ 7pm and then a west coast game starting at 10pm. Two Sunday night games one different networks wouldn't work, as the NFL won't compete against itself in that scenario I don't think.

#45 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Well, you could do what they've done a couple times instead, which is have an east coast game @ 7pm and then a west coast game starting at 10pm. Two Sunday night games one different networks wouldn't work, as the NFL won't compete against itself in that scenario I don't think.

You're limiting the west coast game's ratings potential. Part of the reason of MNF, SNF, and TNF is that you can get a much higher rating than if those games were playing during the day on Sunday with everyone else. A doubleheader on week 1 is novel, but long term it wouldn't really be financially viable because the ratings for the second game would drop off.

#46 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

Okay, one other go. Since Disney owns both ABC/ESPN, the could do a doubleheader MNF on local ABC's and ESPN, like they do the ABC/ESPN Saturday game!

#47 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

Okay, one other go. Since Disney owns both ABC/ESPN, the could do a doubleheader MNF on local ABC's and ESPN, like they do the ABC/ESPN Saturday game!

but you still need to have an local team games on OTA as well so then you may have 2 OTA games or have the local ABC affiliates show the local game (not as reverse mirror) with the same game on ESPN.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#48 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

Disney already dumped MNF from ABC because it wasn't drawing the ratings they wanted for the broadcast network. Splitting the audience isn't exactly going to generate the numbers they'd want in order to put it back on ABC.

#49 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

Disney moved just about ALL its sports to ESPN, not just NFL.

I'm sure they would have loved the flex scheduling afforded to NBC on the SNF package, though. MNF got stuck with numerous dud matchups for many years.

#50 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

This article suggests that the most popular idea is to expand from 13 to 16 Thursday games -- just ONE per week -- and split the package evenly between NFL Network and another carrier. The package also could include one wild card game in an expanded playoff season. None of this would start until 2015.

http://www.sportsbus...L-Thursday.aspx

#51 OFFLINE   cfkane

cfkane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

remember Oakland is the last of the "multi-tenant venues" so its probably won't happen again

And this Oakland Raider fan says they need a new stadium......

#52 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

Quote from the above linked article:
FUTURE OF SUNDAY TICKET UNKNOWN: The more pressing concern for Bornstein, who is leaving the NFL following the Super Bowl, is the Sunday Ticket out-of-market package. The NFL and DirecTV currently are negotiating to renew that deal, which expires after next season, and Bornstein said talks "are going well." "The timing of all this stuff is not anything I want to comment on because I honestly don't know," he said. NFL officials have spoken with alternate platforms, like Google, about the out-of-market package. But Bornstein dismissed the idea of a company like Google competing for existing rights. "To me, 'compete' is not the word; it's 'complement,'" he said. "We believe that the network package, along with the two cable packages that we have currently, along with what we do with our out-of-market package and how we¹ve developed the RedZone, is all complementary to the experience and rises all boats."

Whether everyone believes the value of out-of-market games is diminished or not, the iron is hot and I bet the NFL can pretty much still name its price.

Borstein's comments above is interesting in that it sounds like the NFL might strip DirecTV of exclusivity, possibly offering Google or someone else the capability to stream, and potentially reaping higher fees from both than what DirecTV currently pays for that exclusive right alone.

There are many eager participants and I'm sure DirecTV will bend over backwards to maintain some semblance of what it has, even if they have to pay more for less.

Whether it will be a smart move for DirecTV remains to be seen as they can't lock away customers as much as they could before (while paying a higher price), but the potential benefits to alternative, "complimentary" providers would be pure gold not only for that provider, but for the countless other standard cable/satellite providers that could possibly even subsidize their customers Sunday Ticket through that complimentary source, pinching DirecTV even more (and I'm sure those execs are quietly rooting for such a scheme to arrive).

Would DirecTV be willing to pay $2 billion to keep it off the shelf of Google or even Apple? Ouch.

Edited by Bambler, 25 October 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#53 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

This article suggests that the most popular idea is to expand from 13 to 16 Thursday games -- just ONE per week -- and split the package evenly between NFL Network and another carrier. The package also could include one wild card game in an expanded playoff season. None of this would start until 2015.

http://www.sportsbus...L-Thursday.aspx

Will Turner Sports, NBCSN, FS1 and others be open to also having the games on LOCAL OTA TV? NBCSN wanted to have games but they said no to the local part and the NFL passed them over.

#54 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

Quote from the above linked article:

Would DirecTV be willing to pay $2 billion to keep it off the shelf of Google or even Apple? Ouch.

Will apple or Google be able to have hardware / other systems in place to work in sports books and sports bars? have component out (most matrix switches are component) with analog audio out (for the wireless sound boxes the Transmitters use RCA to get the sound)?

also ISP bandwidth I don't think plans that most people have can do 8+ games at the same time in HD (maybe the higher ones but they cost a lot and are capped as well)

#55 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

Will apple or Google be able to have hardware / other systems in place to work in sports books and sports bars? have component out (most matrix switches are component) with analog audio out (for the wireless sound boxes the Transmitters use RCA to get the sound)?

also ISP bandwidth I don't think plans that most people have can do 8+ games at the same time in HD (maybe the higher ones but they cost a lot and are capped as well)

The point is that if the NFL gives the package to Google or any other online streaming service, they will still have a package for traditional TV providers (which right now is DirecTV). 

This reinforces the point that, sure, a good proportion of TV viewing is moving from traditional avenues and going online, but the money is still in traditional TV/cable. There's no way in a million years if the NFL gave Sunday Ticket exclusively to an online provider that they would have the viewership or revenue that they do now. Internet distribution simply hasn't gotten to that level yet.

#56 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

Will Turner Sports, NBCSN, FS1 and others be open to also having the games on LOCAL OTA TV? NBCSN wanted to have games but they said no to the local part and the NFL passed them over.

I wonder if Fox goes out of its way to grab the Thursday split for its burgeoning Fox Sports 1.

Frankly it makes perfect sense and would give that channel way, way more legitimacy against the likes of ESPN.

It also means their strategy of grandfathering in the old Speed Network price would be a stroke of genius as they can probably ask a lot more from cable/sat if they get eight first-run NFL match ups and have the programming firepower to back it up when these pre-existing contracts are up for renewal, which is fairly soon from what I gather.

Edited by Bambler, 25 October 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:06 AM

If CBS was serious about CBS SN, this could be a way to get people to actually realize that the channel exists.  Would have good cross-over potential too, highlighting it on Sunday. I doubt they really care that much though about that channel.

Personally, I would like to see a MNF doubleheader with the games overlapping by an hour: 7pm and 9pm....with ESPN and ESPN 2.  I think this would feed fan interest for 5 hours.  They finish the first game, and it gets them willing to watch the rest of the 2nd game.  Many fans do not even start to watch the 2nd game if it starts after 10.  And if the first game sucks, they flip over to the other game instead of turn off the NFL.

#58 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

My vote is with Cris Collinsworth for double header mondays with the first game at 7pm and a second west coast game at 10:15pm and eliminate turdsday night games ,as I would bet the second game on monday night would still draw a better rating than turdsday games would.

Baseball does it that way and it works well.

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#59 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

My vote is with Cris Collinsworth for double header mondays with the first game at 7pm and a second west coast game at 10:15pm and eliminate turdsday night games ,as I would bet the second game on monday night would still draw a better rating than turdsday games would.

Baseball does it that way and it works well.

You lose that bet.

The NFLN chargers/raiders special late game this year had 2.5 million viewers - it is the least watched game of the year.

Meanwhile their thursday night games on NFLN this year avg 7.3 milllion viewers per game.  

#60 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

A doubleheader on Monday is a non-starter. You either have to sacrifice west coast viewers by starting the first game early or sacrifice east coast viewers finishing the last game by having it start late. Having them overlap makes no sense at all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...