Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NFL Sunday Ticket Cost/Benefit/Value Continues to Degrade

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

You lose that bet.

The NFLN chargers/raiders special late game this year had 2.5 million viewers - it is the least watched game of the year.

Meanwhile their thursday night games on NFLN this year avg 7.3 milllion viewers per game.  

HELLO!!!

That game was moved up to midnight due to the Oakland A's playoff game.So of course their rating were going to be low,also there was a ton of games earlier in the day so people were burnt out from watching too much football,I know I was.

A better comparison would be the ESPN 10pm monday night football game (from opening week) to the thursday game the same week.

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

HELLO!!!

That game was moved up to midnight due to the Oakland A's playoff game.So of course their rating were going to be low,also there was a ton of games earlier in the day so people were burnt out from watching too much football,I know I was.

A better comparison would be the ESPN 10pm monday night football game (from opening week) to the thursday game the same week.

No it isnt because espn is in 30 million more homes than nfln.

Also the game wasnt midnite is was 11:35.

#63 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 734 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:39 AM

I don't understand why I've never heard anyone who covers the NFL talk about expanding to a Tuesday night game.

It could be scheduled as part of the same week as the previous Thursday, Sunday, and Monday action.

Teams playing Tuesday, then the following Sunday, would have one more day of preparation than teams currently have when they play Sunday and then the following Thursday.

There is absolutely nothing happening on any Tuesday of the NFL season, with the exception of MLB playoffs and then NCAA basketball.

The only group that might complain is ESPN, with their MNF considered the "Final" game of the week.

The idea of Thursday or Monday doubleheaders make little sense when there is a completely barren day of the week waiting to be exploited.

Of course this would further dilute ST, but the NFL is more interested in adding revenue, than maintaining the integrity of ST.

Thoughts?

Edited by cmasia, 07 November 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#64 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

I don't have direct insight into why the NFL wouldn't want Tuesday games, but here's one factor: fantasy sports.

The NFL knows that picking games and players are a major factor in the popularity of the game. Right now, there are two full days between the end of one week and the beginning of the next to handle waivers and such. That's a pretty tight window, and there might be some backlash if they cut it by half.

I'm not suggesting that's a slam dunk reason NOT to play on Tuesdays, but it must be considered.

#65 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

I think they would want to avoid having games so spread out. Doubling up on Thursday or Monday? Ok, I can kind of see that, especially if the two games are going on at the same time. But move a game to Tuesday, what's next? A Wednesday game? So we'll only have Fridays and Saturdays without an NFL game? I think the bigger push back would be from the networks which wouldn't want NFL eating into every single night of their programming.

#66 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 734 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

I think they would want to avoid having games so spread out. Doubling up on Thursday or Monday? Ok, I can kind of see that, especially if the two games are going on at the same time. But move a game to Tuesday, what's next? A Wednesday game? So we'll only have Fridays and Saturdays without an NFL game? I think the bigger push back would be from the networks which wouldn't want NFL eating into every single night of their programming.

Hi Joseph.

Thanks for the comment.

I don't think the NFL would ever add another window where more than one game is being played at the same time, like 1:00 and 4:00 Eastern on Sundays.

45 years ago, there were only 2 weekly windows. Now there are 5.

I don't think they would ever use Wednesday, as it would cause scheduling nightmares.

If Wednesday games started a new week, teams would not have prep time unless they were coming off a bye.

If Wednesday games ended a week, teams would again only have 3 days to prepare for the following Sunday - similar to the current Sunday to Thursday prep. Teams hate that now.

I agree the 4 OTA networks might pass on a Tuesday game, but there are many who would kill for an NFL game:

Fox Sports1, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, etc.

NFLN would love a second game.

Even ESPN, USA, or TNT might be interested.

Who knows? HBO, Showtime, or Epix might bid.

I'm not saying the NFL should start Tuesday games. I'm just surprised it has never been discussed as a possibility.

Cheers,

cmasia

Edited by cmasia, 07 November 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#67 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 734 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

I don't have direct insight into why the NFL wouldn't want Tuesday games, but here's one factor: fantasy sports.

The NFL knows that picking games and players are a major factor in the popularity of the game. Right now, there are two full days between the end of one week and the beginning of the next to handle waivers and such. That's a pretty tight window, and there might be some backlash if they cut it by half.

I'm not suggesting that's a slam dunk reason NOT to play on Tuesdays, but it must be considered.

Hi RB.

Thanks for the comment.

I never thought of the impact on FF, but I wonder if the NFL would even consider peripherals like that if they could get another game per week with 7 - 10 million viewers.

Cheers,

cmasia

Edited by cmasia, 07 November 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#68 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

Who knows? HBO, Showtime, or Epix might bid.

sports bars can't get channels like that so they are out and what about the local OTA channels they can't show some of the stuff that is on HBO.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#69 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

I really don't see the NFL expanding games beyond the current Sunday, Monday and Thursday lineup. I think anything in addition to these days would wreak havoc on scheduling. Doubling up on Monday or Thursday probably wouldn't fly, either.

However, I do see the NFL selling half of their current Thursday night lineup to another broadcaster. They could get a lot more selling those rights than broadcasting it themselves, yet still maintain the same cost structure demanded of the NFL Network in future negotiations. Nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

I also think they'll strip DirecTV of current streaming rights and sell it to a third party, while letting DirecTV keep its traditional format and still probably charge a lot more for that reduced privilege. Considering the huge jump DirecTV had to fork out a few years ago for the current extension, an equal rise could likely occur, adding a few hundred million to the yearly price DirecTV currently pays, while reaping up to a billion from the digital streaming rights alone.

All of this combined would net over a $2b a year gain in revenue if the NFL parcels out eight Thursday games for (speculating here) $700m, DirecTV Sunday ticket for $1.2 to $1.3b and digital rights to a third party such as Google for $1b.

Even without the digital rights, I think DirecTV would still gladly pay more for less. In fact, they may not have a choice. Google or another up and coming party would equally as well pay up for that opportunity. And finally, I would imagine Comcast/NBC or Fox would also gladly pay to get a chance to broadcast eight games on one of their cable sports network.

It's going to be interesting to see exactly what happens.

Edited by Bambler, 09 November 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#70 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

I love my NFL team like the next person. I also feel that the price is getting rather outrageous especially with the extra things necessary to use NFL Sunday ticket on a phone/tablet.

I expect the price of Sunday ticket to continue being stagnant but I also think that the fees will continue to rise if you want to view it on a tablet or computer.

Although some here would say that you should pay more if you want to watch it on a tablet, I don't agree with that. I think the price of Sunday ticket is more than enough to warrant consumers viewing Sunday ticket how they want to view it on their devices or TV.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#71 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

Unless I move to Boston, then the value of the ST will never lose luster for me. Without, i'd see very few Patriots games, which is the main purpose of the ST (or any other sports sub), to allow people that are out of market of their favorite team to see those games. ST and League Pass just happen to be the best.

Edited by HinterXGames, 16 November 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#72 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Is there some sort of technical issue that keeps them from going to 2x2 the last couple weeks in the late afternoon?

I know the Bears game was delayed last week, but they still had plenty of time to make the switch. Now they've been stuck with 2x4 mode as if they are ready to go to 2x2 -- but they're not pulling the trigger.

#73 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,054 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

the East Coast won't put up that none sense all the time, the game last Sunday that started at 11:35 probably won't happen again, but if a baseball situation come again it interest how they hand it

I would definitely accept  a west coast centric game that came on at 10:30 for an east coast/central game that started at 7:30.  I can't stay awake to watch those 8:45 starts.

So year, give me Patriots/Ravens for the early game and I will give you Chargers/Oakland for the late game.  :)

My Setup

#74 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

they do "try" to put the blackout game on until your local Fox Channel get to the game

Protected By... spam firewall...And...