Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie and Genie Clients Priority

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have an HR44 and 3 clients.  Two of the clients were in use by guests spending the weekend with us.  The HR44 was recording 2 programs at the same time.  My wife and I went to bed and turned on the 3rd client about 1 hour after our guests which was on ESPN2.  After we fell asleep, there was a 3rd program being recorded on one of the Cinemax channels.  When I woke up this morning, I noticed the client in my bedroom was on that Cinemax channel.

How is the client priority determined?  Is it based on the order of the client's being turned on first?

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

The clients or even the Genie, grabs what ever tuner is available when is turn on.  If all are taken, they the will turn on to one of the 5 tuners at random 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,869 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

Actually I think they pull the last tuner used when they are turned on at first.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

Actually I think they pull the last tuner used when they are turned on at first.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

unless it was used for either recording or a client.  so what ever is available is more "accurate" 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,869 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

unless it was used for either recording or a client. so what ever is available is more "accurate"

Well sort of. I personally find it still seems to grab onto the last tuner used even if it has changed channels and then use to record something. This is coming out of standby mode. That's what I see on my system anyway.

However it will happily change tuners if I try and change channels and the channel that it was on when I turn the power on was recording something.

I believe this is part of the reason people lose buffers when standby and why you can't always guarantee to be on the same channel when you turn on the client after it's been turned off.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

Well sort of. I personally find it still seems to grab onto the last tuner used even if it has changed channels and then use to record something. This is coming out of standby mode. That's what I see on my system anyway. However it will happily change tuners if I try and change channels and the channel that it was on when I turn the power on was recording something. I believe this is part of the reason people lose buffers when standby and why you can't always guarantee to be on the same channel when you turn on the client after it's been turned off.

that is the "problem"  There is no such thing as "last tuner" more like "last channel"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,869 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

that is the "problem" There is no such thing as "last tuner" more like "last channel"

How can you say there is no last tuner? Any client including the genie itself can always grab the last tuner used and show whatever is on it when coming out of standby. Even if that tuner is being used by another client. Or two, or even three others as well as being recorded. Genies can share tuners.

I specifically said tuner and not channel because you don't know what channel is on the last tuner the client had used when it was last powered off because it may have been tasked for other things on other channels while the client was off.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:26 AM

How can you say there is no last tuner? Any client including the genie itself can always grab the last tuner used and show whatever is on it when coming out of standby. Even if that tuner is being used by another client. Or two, or even three others as well as being recorded. Genies can share tuners. I specifically said tuner and not channel because you don't know what channel is on the last tuner the client had used when it was last powered off because it may have been tasked for other things on other channels while the client was off.

But how do you know the receiver is grabbing the "last" tuner" There is no way to tell which tuner the Genie is using., or is there?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...