Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Computer to tv

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   westview

westview

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

Not sure this is the right forum, but I will ask anyway. I want to hookup my Dell destop to my HD tv, so I can watch live sports. My desktop does not have a HDMI output. I am told I can get a HDMI card that I can install in my computer. Will this work and would it be hard to install?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   brian26339

brian26339

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

Yes it will work and is very easy to do. At most you would need a small screw driver.

You would need to buy a new video card that has HDMI out. The main video video card manufactures are Nvidia or ATI. They both make many cards that have HDMI out.

You would need to determine which type of video card slot is on the motherboard of your computer. There are 3 different kinds, PCI, AGP, and PCI-E. Most recent computers have PCI-E.

Open the case. If your computer has a separate video card, remove it and place the new one in the same slot. If your computer has graphics on the mother board the correct slot will be open but you will probably have to remove a blank off the back of the case possibly requiring a small screw drive. Push the new video card down into its slot till seated. Close case. Reconnect all cable and boot. Read the directions that come with the video card. Some will have you install the drivers before you install the card, others after but there will be a cd for that.

I think that's it. Pretty simple.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,210 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

Know that if your TV is a projection or CRT model, you may have some issues with overscan cutting off the edges of the desktop.

Many modern televisions have a 15 pin RGB connector on them so with one of those televisions, you wouldn't necessarily need to install a new display adapter.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...