Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Canceling Starz and Cinemax

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

When I was with Direct, I never waited on hold for longer than about 5 minutes, most calls were much less hold time than that.  So that isn't a reason.

The reason is they want a chance to talk you out of it with some sort of deal.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,202 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

I have no idea why people don't want to call to drop premium channels. I got a good deal when I was subscribing to HBO and Cinemax with DirecTV a couple years ago and considered dropping the Cinemax channel after the one-year offer.

I got an even better deal twice with FiOS, getting all the premium channels for $20 a month, after calling to drop their HBO/Cinemax half-price offer when a year was up. Renewing HBO only (primarily for The Newsroom and Boardwalk Empire) would have cost $18 a month, but I got HBO, Cinemax, TMC, Showtime, Starz, Encore, and Epix for $2 more.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#23 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 644 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:00 AM

That is how it is for everyone.

DirecTV does not let you cancel premiums, or downgrade your package (I think) without calling in and talking to someone.  They do that on purpose because they know a lot of people won't bother to call in and wait on hold etc. in order to do it (just like how most people don't mess with or forget to do rebates).  If the customer does call in and wait on hold it gives their CSRs a chance of talking the person out of the changes.

This isn't always the case. When I called to down grade the csr just did it. No discussion.

#24 OFFLINE   Brit_in_WV

Brit_in_WV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Yesterday I called to cancel Starz as my 3 month special was ending, I got it for $7 which is a good deal. It was no problem to cancel but then the csr came back with another offer, she said how about the premier pkg for 3 months with no increase over what I'm paying now. At that point there was only one thing to say. Switch them on.

Edited by Brit_in_WV, 30 October 2013 - 02:09 PM.

"Je ne suis pas assez jeune pour tout savoir"

#25 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

This isn't always the case. When I called to down grade the csr just did it. No discussion.

Yeah, same with me.  On mulltiple occasions!  I have turned on and off the HDNet package.  Each time I call to cancel, they just do it with no offers.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#26 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

Is there still a $10 charge if you cancel premium movie channels without keeping them for at least 30 days? I have looked all over the D* support site and only see an indication about Sports Pack and Fox Soccer Plus having the requirement now? Has this changed?  If they still charge it they must be really hiding the information because I can not find it anywhere...

https://support.directv.com/

https://support.dire..._id/2369/kw/$10

I have also looked all through the Agreements & Policies

#27 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,800 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

Is there still a $10 charge if you cancel premium movie channels without keeping them for at least 30 days? I have looked all over the D* support site and only see an indication about Sports Pack and Fox Soccer Plus having the requirement now? Has this changed?  If they still charge it they must be really hiding the information because I can not find it anywhere...

https://support.directv.com/

https://support.dire..._id/2369/kw/$10

I have also looked all through the Agreements & Policies

Yes, I believe so... I added some stuff the other day and the guy mentioned it.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall