Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

how to add a client and the cost

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

i have 3 hd dvrs and a genie.  i would like to add a client.  either swap with one of my receivers or it becomes the 5th total.  how would i go about this and what would be the one time cost up front.?  is it free or cost something?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

You will need to call to see what deals you are eligible for, it could be free.  There will be $6/month fee added unless you replace one of your DVRs.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

You will need to call to see what deals you are eligible for, it could be free.  There will be $6/month fee added unless you replace one of your DVRs.

i got the genie about 2 months ago but was never asked about clients.  i would have added some if it knew.  i called and they said i already used up my upgrade and now need to pay $99.  would have liked to add at the time but didnt know.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Bummer, but in all reality you are just as well, or perhaps better off with the DVRs than you would be with a client. Pros and cons both ways.

#5 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,745 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

It would be nice if they counseled customers on all the options, but they probably can't spend that much time on calls.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Why would you want to replace an HDDVR with a client?  :nono2:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

well in my situation i have 3 tvs on one wall.  its a basement sports thing.  and two are behind wall and i can change with RF.  but third is the same tv as one of the others.  so if i do that one as IR it wont change.  so i was going to use client and hide behind tv. 

i already have 11 tuners and dont need that many.  would also like to have all the same receivers also if possible.  but have hr44, hr24, and two hr22s which i hate.

#8 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Shocking, but some people prefer a client instead of another HDDVR. Also, they may be hitting a limit of tuners and it's not worth trying to upgrade to another SWM switch. A Genie with HDDVRs as clients is not a universal solution.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

well in my situation i have 3 tvs on one wall. its a basement sports thing. and two are behind wall and i can change with RF. but third is the same tv as one of the others. so if i do that one as IR it wont change. so i was going to use client and hide behind tv.

i already have 11 tuners and dont need that many. would also like to have all the same receivers also if possible. but have hr44, hr24, and two hr22s which i hate.

The HR44 will work on RF and IR at the same time

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Shocking, but some people prefer a client instead of another HDDVR. Also, they may be hitting a limit of tuners and it's not worth trying to upgrade to another SWM switch. A Genie with HDDVRs as clients is not a universal solution.

why should a customer be worry about SWM tuners limit? all they have to worry about is paying the bill. let DirecTV take care of this. it might not be a universal solution, but if you already have them, why get rid of them

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Well I already have swm16 put in so tuners is not an issue. It's about controlling 3 tvs. 2 are the same, one is different. Is there a way to hide these behind the wall and still control?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#12 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

Well I already have swm16 put in so tuners is not an issue. It's about controlling 3 tvs. 2 are the same, one is different. Is there a way to hide these behind the wall and still control?

If two TVs are the same then there is nothing you can do about that unless the TVs have the ability to operate on different codes (and as far as I kn ow none of them do). It makes no difference whether you have a receiver, a DVR, a Genie or a Genie client, or whether you are on IR or RF for your remote, the two TVs will both respond to a remote command like on or off. If you are only worried about controlling the DirecTV box, and happy to switch the TVs on/off manually, then any of them will work on RF with independent control.

#13 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,745 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

why should a customer be worry about SWM tuners limit? all they have to worry about is paying the bill. let DirecTV take care of this. it might not be a universal solution, but if you already have them, why get rid of them

Some of us dread having to get an installer, the ones I've gotten have not been contributors here.

#14 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

If two TVs are the same then there is nothing you can do about that unless the TVs have the ability to operate on different codes (and as far as I kn ow none of them do). It makes no difference whether you have a receiver, a DVR, a Genie or a Genie client, or whether you are on IR or RF for your remote, the two TVs will both respond to a remote command like on or off. If you are only worried about controlling the DirecTV box, and happy to switch the TVs on/off manually, then any of them will work on RF with independent control.

So you are saying if I put one tv on rf and one on ir they will still both come on when I hit power no matter what? If they are same tv ?

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

So you are saying if I put one tv on rf and one on ir they will still both come on when I hit power no matter what? If they are same tv ?

I have yet to see a TV that uses RF and I think for obvious reasons...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall