Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

New Genie (HR-44) Problem - Not Consistently Changing Channels

genie hr-44 channel change remote intermittent

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   estiff

estiff

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

I am wondering if anyone else has run into this problem - if I try to change channels by inputting the channel numbers (rather than channel up or down or through the guide) if often will fail to actually change the channel.  It is not a remote control problem, because the channel numbers show up on the top left corner of the TV screen, so I know the receiver is getting the command... but rather than change it stays on the existing channel.  After two or three times, it will finally change the channel to the number I input.

It is an intermittent  problem - so, sometimes when I input the number it will work and go straight to that channel.  But every other time or so it will not.  When it does not work, I often have to input the same number like three or four times before it will actually change the receiver to that channel.

I have reset the receiver, changed the batteries in the remote (even though I know that's not the problem) but still the same intermittent problem.

I have an HR-24 as well, and no problem whatsover.  Also, if I go through the guide, no problem.  If I use channel up and down, no problem.  It's only when I go to input the channel number as the method to change channels.

Not sure if this is just an HR-44 issue or perhaps HR-34 too?

I called Directv yesterday and the tech person I spoke to said it's the first time she's heard of that problem.  Because it's intermittent she said it's not enough to justify any further action.  Just live with it and change channels through the guide.  Not exactly the response I was hoping for.

I saw a similar complaint in the Directv technical forum - but the ultimate result was just a new receiver.  It seems like more of a software issue than hardware, but what do I know.

I didn't see a thread on here regarding this problem, so maybe it's only a few of us.  Not a deal breaker by any means - I love the HR-44, but it is frustrating.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

Not experiencing your issue with my HR34-700.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

I had the issue on a HR24, HR34 and now a HR44 and H25. It's completely random and agree it's not the remote, like you said, because I use IP control to work min.

A workaround I use... press ENTER after the last number.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

That's what I was going to say, Sigma. Press enter after inputting the numbers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

I just tried it on my HR44, it work semi-alright.. it sometimes failed to take the first number, but I never had to hit ENTER after input to change channels..

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk now Free

#6 OFFLINE   bobkatF

bobkatF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

Same intermittent problem - HR44-500.  Sometimes 3 tries and it changes channel.

Press SELECT after entering works; entering 4 digits works, eg. 0005, 0213.

H21 in bedroom still works as before.

#7 OFFLINE   Notech

Notech

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Reply to estiff:
Excellent description of the problem. My HR44 acquired this exact problem after working well for several months
Directtv has never heard of it. Coming out for free in 2 days to check it out. Probable waste of time.
A new box, different TV, different HDMI cable led to no change at that location. All other TVs in house work fine.
I'll post their solution if there is one.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

Yes, this is a known issue. I don't know why the CSRs don't know about it. I've seen it before; for me it is the first channel change after taking the box out of standby. Either pressing Channel Up first or pressing enter afterward seems to solve it. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   estiff

estiff

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Temporary solution to this problem has been identified.  From a user who posted on the Directv technical forum: 

Change banner display from 2 seconds to 4 seconds.  Settings, Display, Preferences, scroll to bottom, select Banner Time, changed setting to 4 seconds, and now channels change every time.

That absolutely solves the issue - and also indicates that it's a software issue not hardware.  The user figured this out by trial and error, crazy.  If only Directv or the manufacturer would have figured this out they probably could have come up with an easy software fix so that channel changing works regardless of the banner display time.

Regardless, nice to have a fix w/o extra button pushes.  Sometimes its the small things in life.

Edited by estiff, 04 November 2013 - 12:54 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: genie, hr-44, channel change, remote, intermittent

Protected By... spam firewall...And...