Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-21s dead?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Had a bad HR-21, called for a replacement under the replacement plan and was told to scrap the unit.  In the past always had to send it back other than the HR-20s.  So what are folks getting as replacements?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,166 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

whatever is in the warehouse unless you specifically order from a place like weaknees for example.

#3 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Had a bad HR-21, called for a replacement under the replacement plan and was told to scrap the unit.  In the past always had to send it back other than the HR-20s.  So what are folks getting as replacements?

The next unit on top of the stack of refurbs.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   chdoud

chdoud

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

I had a HR20, HR21 and H21. The HR20 died and the CSR upgraded me with a HR44. I kept my HR21 as a client. So I have a dead HR20 and a H21 sitting in my garage. They told me 3 times they wanted the access cards back and they would send prepaid envelopes so I could return them. I am still waiting. Called twice..... The upgrade was on August 26

I had the HR20 and HR21 so I could have more tuners to record programs. My wife and I have some different taste. When I upgraded I moved the HR21 to the garage where my H21 was. Now I have a perfectly good H21 sitting with no place to go.

I will hold on to them for a year to see if they try billing me for unreturned equipment.

-------------------------------------
HR20-100 --> Sony 46" KDL XBR4 (HDMI)
HR21-200 --> Sony 46" KDL XBR4 (HDMI)
H21-200 --> Westinghouse LTV 27w6 (HDMI)
Simline Dish
D* since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

My guess a HR23 or HR24... Leaning more towards the 24.. But just a guess

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

#6 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

I had a HR20, HR21 and H21. The HR20 died and the CSR upgraded me with a HR44. I kept my HR21 as a client. So I have a dead HR20 and a H21 sitting in my garage. They told me 3 times they wanted the access cards back and they would send prepaid envelopes so I could return them. I am still waiting. Called twice..... The upgrade was on August 26

I had the HR20 and HR21 so I could have more tuners to record programs. My wife and I have some different taste. When I upgraded I moved the HR21 to the garage where my H21 was. Now I have a perfectly good H21 sitting with no place to go.

I will hold on to them for a year to see if they try billing me for unreturned equipment.

Sounds like you may have restarted your 2 year commitment with the HR44.  I would not mind an HR44 but am not willing to have a commitment.  Been out of contract for 4 or 5 years now no intention of re-upping.  Plus, all my stuff is owned so if I decide to leave I can sell and recoup some of my investment - not that I'm thinking about that at the moment.

#7 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

I'm a bit confused. If you've been out of contract for 4 or 5 years, why do you fear a two year commitment and seem willing to stay with older equipment? Are you anticipating major changes in tech or programming from another provider? If that is the case and it hasn't happened yet, why do you think it will happen in the next two years? My case may be a little different, but I don't foresee ever switching from D*. The only real alternative I have now is Dish, but I have no interest in them. There is no cable available where I live.

I found that a two year extension was a small price to pay for getting my HR34 for a good discount.

As far as owning your equipment, you could probably get an HR44 for little or nothing, which would most likely cost less than the loss you will take when selling (old) owned equipment.

I am really interested in why you don't want an extension.

Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,765 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

I am really interested in why you don't want an extension.

Some folks are just scared of commitments.  These are the same folks who never get married.... :righton:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

I like to be able to walk away. 

Quite honestly it would be quite easy to just switch everything over to a computer based system.  Pop 3 or 4 tuner cards in one of my systems and let it go.  with Netflix, and hulu and others I can get pretty much of what I normally watch.  It's just that I'd have to deal with other people and ease of use.  But after a training period the cost would be a fraction of what I pay now.  At this point I have network streamers at every tv, and streaming content from my computer is done every day. It just comes down to a bit of laziness and a bit of ease of use with a dvr.

As to newer equipment I see no real value or benefit for me.  All my DRVs and networked, at this point I have 8 tuners and the most I've ever needed was 5 and that was rare.  I don't watch live tv only recored content and I don't flip channels.  Being that I own my equipment I can put whatever sized hard drive I want in them and have massive storage.  I record way too much and seasonally dump perhaps a 1/3 of it as it is.  What would an HR44 give me that I don't have?  Perhaps a bit more speed, but my system is quite responsive as it is.

Edited by Matt L, 17 October 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   chdoud

chdoud

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Sounds like you may have restarted your 2 year commitment with the HR44.  I would not mind an HR44 but am not willing to have a commitment.  Been out of contract for 4 or 5 years now no intention of re-upping.  Plus, all my stuff is owned so if I decide to leave I can sell and recoup some of my investment - not that I'm thinking about that at the moment.

I am not afraid of the 2 year commitment. I have been a Directv customer since 1996. I have heard stories of people being charged for equipment not being returned.

-------------------------------------
HR20-100 --> Sony 46" KDL XBR4 (HDMI)
HR21-200 --> Sony 46" KDL XBR4 (HDMI)
H21-200 --> Westinghouse LTV 27w6 (HDMI)
Simline Dish
D* since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,635 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

I'm in the same situation you are.  You do realize that the first provider that comes up with a decent plan and pricing to bring NetFlix quality HD over the Net to your home, carrying the same channels (for the most part) as D* does, will be the death knell of our owned equipment?  I've been seriously considering selling all 10 of my owned HRs and reverting to leased HRs while the eBay prices of 24s is still around $300.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,635 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

I like to be able to walk away. 

Quite honestly it would be quite easy to just switch everything over to a computer based system.  Pop 3 or 4 tuner cards in one of my systems and let it go.  with Netflix, and hulu and others I can get pretty much of what I normally watch.  It's just that I'd have to deal with other people and ease of use.  But after a training period the cost would be a fraction of what I pay now.  At this point I have network streamers at every tv, and streaming content from my computer is done every day. It just comes down to a bit of laziness and a bit of ease of use with a dvr.

As to newer equipment I see no real value or benefit for me.  All my DRVs and networked, at this point I have 8 tuners and the most I've ever needed was 5 and that was rare.  I don't watch live tv only recored content and I don't flip channels.  Being that I own my equipment I can put whatever sized hard drive I want in them and have massive storage.  I record way too much and seasonally dump perhaps a 1/3 of it as it is.  What would an HR44 give me that I don't have?  Perhaps a bit more speed, but my system is quite responsive as it is.

Sounds like me, but on a smaller scale, doesn't it?

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,635 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

I am not afraid of the 2 year commitment. I have been a Directv customer since 1996. I have heard stories of people being charged for equipment not being returned.

I don't know how many HRs I've sent back to D*, but I seriously think I've returned enough to be in the top ten of returners.  And I've never had an HR go missing or been charged for a missing unit.  I never worry about that (but I do keep a paper trail of each one returned). 

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,635 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Some folks are just scared of commitments.  These are the same folks who never get married.... :righton:

What's the worst case scenario?  You cancel after, say, 90 days.  Then it costs you about $420 to cover the EFT.  That's not enough to terrify anyone.  Or is it?  I really don't know.  

Rich

#15 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

What's the worst case scenario?  You cancel after, say, 90 days.  Then it costs you about $420 to cover the EFT.  That's not enough to terrify anyone.  Or is it?  I really don't know.  

Rich

Side Note: Rich, can I borrow $420?  :)

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,635 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

Side Note: Rich, can I borrow $420?  :)

Grandma always told me, "A lender or borrower, never be."  She was referring to relatives and friends.   But if you really need it...

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

To answer (unless i missed it)
The HR21's where added to the do not recover list for ERP (failure) shortly before I left the company.

As for the card recovery it takes up-to 30 days for the recovery process to start so don't panic and don't toss the cards. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,739 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

If that is the case and it hasn't happened yet, why do you think it will happen in the next two years?

The change appears to be happening as we speak. DIRECTV is showing some backbone in negotiating with PAC-12 and they're engaging in a few more public LIL retrans battles than they used to.

Couple that with the fact that DIRECTV won't have a whole lot more satellite bandwidth for the next couple years and it is far from a slam dunk that the next couple years are going to be repeat of the previous five.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#19 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

I got my replacement, luckily it's an HR-24.

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:56 AM

The change appears to be happening as we speak. DIRECTV is showing some backbone in negotiating with PAC-12 and they're engaging in a few more public LIL retrans battles than they used to.

Couple that with the fact that DIRECTV won't have a whole lot more satellite bandwidth for the next couple years and it is far from a slam dunk that the next couple years are going to be repeat of the previous five.

Did I miss them announcing canceling their next sat launch in a few months? Or you just saying that they won't have any new bandwidth available for years based on,well.. What is it based on?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...