Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DP on HR 44 not as fluid as on HR 24

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

I've noticed that when starting DP on the HR 44, it doesn't function as well as on the other HR 20's.

I'll use tonight as an example. On my HR 24 would, with 206 as starting point, enter 247 (MLB) and press twice the down arrow. DP starts and works no problem. I've been using that method since DP's inception.

It doesn't work that way with the HR 44. I was on 206 and the buffer was going. I hit 247 and down arrow twice but the channel changed to my second DP station from last night (SNF and MLB). I get the AFP message but when I hit the Dow arrow I hear the sound effect but doesn't return to 206. So I lose the starting buffer.

Receiver had been off for over 18 hour. One client was on but not tuned to any station involved. This happens the first time I attempt to enter into DP. I had at least 3 available tuners.

HR-44-700 (3) C41-500 HR 24-100 GenieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,324 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

It doesn't work that way with the HR 44. I was on 206 and the buffer was going. I hit 247 and down arrow twice but the channel changed to my second DP station from last night (SNF and MLB). I get the AFP message but when I hit the Dow arrow I hear the sound effect but doesn't return to 206. So I lose the starting buffer.

Receiver had been off for over 18 hour. One client was on but not tuned to any station involved. This happens the first time I attempt to enter into DP. I had at least 3 available tuners.

you are supposed to hit DOWN ARROW while on 206 not after you changed to 247 so you dont loose the buffer

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

you are supposed to hit DOWN ARROW while on 206 not after you changed to 247 so you dont loose the buffer

I was on 206 and trying to go to 247. The 2nd station mentioned was from last nights DP b/t SNF and MLB.

#4 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

I took this video to better explain the problem. I started from 654 and went to add 10 to DP. As you can see it went to 219 which was the previous 2nd channel the last time enabled DP. I disabled DP and was starting fresh. This problem is repeatable from any scenario.

Attached File  trim.20488AC1-773E-41C5-AD0A-5E8E291FBF99.MOV   8.4MB   50 downloads

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

What peds48 said.  Press down arrow twice to switch to the other buffer, then select the second channel you want.

Now you can switch between the two.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

What peds48 said.  Press down arrow twice to switch to the other buffer, then select the second channel you want.

Now you can switch between the two.

That's what I do.  Only difference is, as in the video, on 654>enter 10 and down arrow twice.  As it showed in the video, DP was started just on a different channel.

Shouldn't it be the same as on the HR 24 or any of the HR2x?   That's the method I've been using since DP's inception.

#7 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

I've never done it the way you are saying.  I always hit the down arrow and then enter in the channel I want.  I've never entered a channel number while still in the first buffer unless I want to actually change channels, not start Dual Play.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

It's always how I did it on the HR 24.  So how is DP supposed to be enabled on the HR44?

I was told by someone at DirecTV that DP isn't even supposed be an option on the genie dvr's.

#9 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Wow, that person was so totally wrong!

You press the down arrow and the double play menu pops up telling you to press down again.  You press down again and it goes to some channel - maybe the one you had before, maybe not.  After it settles on whatever channel it picks, you then enter the channel number of your second program.  Then you toggle between the 2 with the down button.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

That works but still seems like extra steps from the hr2xs. But at least that is workable solution so I don't loose the first buffer.

Thanks

#11 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

How is it extra steps? The way you were doing it you entered the channel and hit down twice. This way you hit down twice and then enter the channel. It's the same number of key presses.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,324 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

That works but still seems like extra steps from the hr2xs. But at least that is workable solution so I don't loose the first buffer.

Thanks

As I said on post #2, this is the right way to do it, and it is the same amount of key presses 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

How is it extra steps? The way you were doing it you entered the channel and hit down twice. This way you hit down twice and then enter the channel. It's the same number of key presses.

It's extra steps because the only way it works is as Supermom posted

Start 206>down arrow twice>goes to last previous buffer>Down arrow back to 206>Enter desired 2nd buffer channel.

What you Peds48 and dbronstein describe works for an HR 24 or any other HR 2X DVR but not on my HR 44 (genie).

Only thing I think of is I have a bad DVR or the 5 tuners of the HR 44 doesn't allow the conventional way DP is started.

#14 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

It's extra steps because the only way it works is as Supermom posted

Start 206>down arrow twice>goes to last previous buffer>Down arrow back to 206>Enter desired 2nd buffer channel.

What you Peds48 and dbronstein describe works for an HR 24 or any other HR 2X DVR but not on my HR 44 (genie).

Only thing I think of is I have a bad DVR or the 5 tuners of the HR 44 doesn't allow the conventional way DP is started.

Why are you going back to the first tuner to enter the second channel? Just tune to the first channel you want to buffer. Down arrow twice to second tuner, then enter the second channel. This is how it works on my HR44 and how it worked on my previous HR24 and HR20.

As for the "conventional way DP is started", according to the DirecTV website, the way to use DP is as we have stated - hit the down arrow twice and then tune to the second channel. https://support.dire...1/kw/doubleplay My guess is the way you were doing it previously is an unsupported feature or glitch.

#15 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

Why are you going back to the first tuner to enter the second channel? Just tune to the first channel you want to buffer. Down arrow twice to second tuner, then enter the second channel. This is how it works on my HR44 and how it worked on my previous HR24 and HR20.

As for the "conventional way DP is started", according to the DirecTV website, the way to use DP is as we have stated - hit the down arrow twice and then tune to the second channel. https://support.dire...1/kw/doubleplay My guess is the way you were doing it previously is an unsupported feature or glitch.

Finally got it to work.  It was a timing issue on my end.  After the down arrow twice I immediately entered the 2nd channel instead of waiting for the screen color changes.  Once the screen color turns darker is when I enter the 2nd channel.   None of the explanations either here or on the website said exactly when to enter the 2nd channel.  

This method is new and takes some adjusting.  The way I had been doing it was the only method I knew and worked 100% of the time.  From tune 1 enter tuner 2 channel and down arrow twice.

Another problem solved.

Thanks

#16 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

It doesn't matter when you enter the second channel. After you down arrow twice, you're on the second tuner and you can change the channel whenever you'd like.

#17 OFFLINE   DNickelson

DNickelson

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTulsa

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

I would say this, though you've been used to the DP why not just use the PiP since it's a Genie? Just a suggestion 

#18 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

Just an aside to all this DP confusion. Once you have a Genie, why even mess with DP. Just put program #1 on record, and them go to program #2 and put it on record. Then just switch back and forth with the "prev" button and you never miss a second. Then if you want switch to something else for a minute, you still don't lose anything. With 5 tuners why screw around with something like DP.

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,478 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

+1. Or PiP. But, diff strokes n all. 

And if you record an hour in advance, you can watch three FB games in about an hour and a half, using FF.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall