Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44 spontaneously rebooting

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

I've had a problem with my HR44 spontaneously rebooting about once every 7-10 days or so the last few weeks. Has anyone else had this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

There have been two recent firmware updates in the last few weeks and your HR44 will reboot sometime after the update itself. This may be what you are experiencing.

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Choice Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

#3 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

No, I received the last update last Wednesday. Then on Saturday night when we were watching TV it spontaneously rebooted. It shouldn't reboot from an update when you are actively watching something.

#4 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

It just did it again tonight. No software update since last wednesday. It's very annoying.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

Have you ever been a part if the cutting edge forum?

Can you describe your full system and how everything is connected? What else is happening on your home network at the time of reboots? Ever see any on screen displays at all?

#6 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,817 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

Spontaneous rebooting is almost always an indication of a failing disk drive.  It will get worse until it fails to boot up again after a restart.  You could try and run the disk diagnostics, but I'd just call DirecTV about a replacement receiver.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,003 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

It just did it again tonight. No software update since last wednesday. It's very annoying.

Yes, that is annoying..... So, how many reboots in the last three weeks? Is everything else in order, e.g., Guide extends out over 10 days, Pandora and Youtube icons show up?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

I have the HR44 and one client. It's connected to my home network via DECA. As best I can tell, nothing else is happening on the network at the time of the reboots. Nothing appears on the screen - the TV goes blue from the missing input and then the receiver starts booting up. This was the third time in about three weeks, I'd guess. There does not appear to be any other problems - the guide is full, etc.

Edited by dbronstein, 17 October 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,431 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Do you have the receiver plugged into a UPS ? The receivers are very touchy about a blip in power. I have seen the TV and lights in my house never flicker and the DVR reboot.

I had one of my 3 set ups do that just this morning. My son was not even awake and using it. He did not want his Yamaha Surround sound receiver plugged into the UPS for some reason and it defaults to on after a power loss. He plays his system loud and all of a sudden it was on. When one of 3 does that it is definitely a power problem.

A UPS at each unit has completely stopped my reboots.

Edited by jimmie57, 17 October 2013 - 03:28 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

I don't have it on a UPS, but I didn't have my previous receivers on them either and they never did this. And I've had this one since April and it's never done it until now.

My big issue with requesting a replacement is losing our recordings. If I get a GenieGo, can I load shows on there and then transfer them to the new receiver? Or would they stay on the GenieGo if I connect it to a new receiver and I could still pull them off there?

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

GenieGo won't do what you ask. It transcodes shows to a lower (read: iPad) sized image, for one. And it won't transfer recordings to receivers, though it can to iPads, iPhones, computers and androids. 

With three reboots in three weeks, and possible causes in existence, I'd not conclude your box is biting the dust just yet. 

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,431 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:06 AM

I don't have it on a UPS, but I didn't have my previous receivers on them either and they never did this. And I've had this one since April and it's never done it until now.

My big issue with requesting a replacement is losing our recordings. If I get a GenieGo, can I load shows on there and then transfer them to the new receiver? Or would they stay on the GenieGo if I connect it to a new receiver and I could still pull them off there?

A cheap, quick and easy way to check to see if it is a power problem.

Plug in a digital clock in the same outlet ( I used a power strip / surge suppressor and plugged the DVR and the clock into it ) and make sure if it has a battery back up to take out the battery. Clocks are very sensitive to power loss also. If the power dies for a second the clock will start flashing.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

It happened again tonight at about 9:20. The interesting thing is that it always happens right around the same time.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

Spontaneous rebooting is almost always an indication of a failing disk drive. It will get worse until it fails to boot up again after a restart. You could try and run the disk diagnostics, but I'd just call DirecTV about a replacement receiver.

Assuming the rest of the time his unit is working good. Could be bad cabling if its not getting guide data for to long,but then you'd expect to see an osd before it rebooted in that case.

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:10 PM

It happened again tonight at about 9:20. The interesting thing is that it always happens right around the same time.

You have anything that turns on around then, like a window ac unit maybe? Hair dryer? Something that would cause a large enough power draw that's just a bit more than normal?

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

Or a nearby prison which executes people at that time?  

OK, silly one, but might it not be an external power draw? 

#17 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

You have anything that turns on around then, like a window ac unit maybe? Hair dryer? Something that would cause a large enough power draw that's just a bit more than normal?

We're in Colorado, there's no AC running :)  Nothing is turning on as far as I know.

#18 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

It did it again tonight at 8:40, so a bit earlier. I'm ready to ask for a replacement but we have a ton of recordings I don't want to lose. If I get a GenieGo and load them all to my PC, is there any limit on how many I can transfer?

#19 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:28 AM

It did it again tonight at 8:40, so a bit earlier. I'm ready to ask for a replacement but we have a ton of recordings I don't want to lose. If I get a GenieGo and load them all to my PC, is there any limit on how many I can transfer?

Not to hijack your thread, but my HR44 started doing this yesterday - mere hours after getting updated to the latest software. Before that update it hadn't experienced a single issue. (And mine is connected to a UPS.)

#20 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,431 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

Not to hijack your thread, but my HR44 started doing this yesterday - mere hours after getting updated to the latest software. Before that update it hadn't experienced a single issue. (And mine is connected to a UPS.)

Thanks for the post. It is helpful to know that you are experiencing this problem also and since you are using a UPS this problem is probably not related to a power issue.

spam firewall