Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Using a DirecTV WCCK to provide wifi to a computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find an answer. On the other hand, this is a weird question.

I have an older Mac Mini that is a long way from the house router, and connects to the router via wifi. The airport was always flaky, so for a long time I used a USB-wifi adapter. A software update on the Mac (and new drivers which generate kernel crashes on the Mac) seem to have rendered the USB adapter useless.

A year or two ago, I got a Wireless CCK from DirecTV to connect my HR23 to the house wifi. A few months later, I changed my internet to cable, so the router moved to right under the TV. Now I have a direct ethernet connection from the router to the HR23, so took the W-CCK out and boxed it up (and cursed that I paid full price for it). I have only one HD-DVR, there is no WHDVR here.

So, can I now use the W-CCK in place of the USB-wifi adapter on the Mac? It will not be connected to an DirecTV device, but simply plug into the ethernet port on the Mac and connect it to the house wifi, exactly as it did for the HR23. I need a way to configure it on the Mac tho - rather than using the DirecTV DVR menu options. Is there a driver/interface-app to do that? I'm sure it can't be done via the traditional Network Settings.

If not, my expensive W-CCK stays boxed up, and I shell out another $40-50 for another dodgy usb-wifi adapter with instructions barely in English!

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,298 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

That should work fine. If it's still configured from the HR23 and nothing's changed on your network, you might be able to just plug it in and go. If not, I think there's a web interface you can use to set it up but others will have to chime in on that. I'm not sure of the admin IP address.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,341 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

You should be able to find its IP in your routers client list or wireless list.  I had mine out a month or so ago when I needed a temporary wireless link.

Assign a static IP to it and label it.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

You should be able to find its IP in your routers client list or wireless list.  I had mine out a month or so ago when I needed a temporary wireless link.

Assign a static IP to it and label it.

So then I can point the browser at the IP number, log in and configure, if needed (like with routers themselves)?

I'll give it a try tonight. Nothing has changed on my home network front. If it remembers everything from when it was connected to the HR23, that would be sweet. I figured all that info would be lost with a power-off.  I don't have WPS capability on my router, unfortunately.

I'll post back on how it goes.

#5 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,298 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

So then I can point the browser at the IP number, log in and configure, if needed (like with routers themselves)?

I'll give it a try tonight. Nothing has changed on my home network front. If it remembers everything from when it was connected to the HR23, that would be sweet. I figured all that info would be lost with a power-off.  I don't have WPS capability on my router, unfortunately.

Yes, you can configure it through its web interface. Hopefully, it just links up when you plug it in.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#6 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

I had my computer hooked up this way for about six months and didn't have any issues. I've also heard that it can be used the same way to connect an xbox etc even when it's connected with coax to the receiver. I haven't ever tried it this way though, so I can't confirm that it works. #)

Edited by DB Stalker, 15 October 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#)

#7 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

Yup. Admin/Admin and you are in. LAN port was active on mine by default. That was some 2 years ago or so it seems now though.

Don "wireless? Wire? Coax? What's a mutha to do?" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#8 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

GoBeavs, you were right. I just plugged it all in, and the CCK worked instantly - remembering the wifi password, etc, from when previously connected to the HR23. Now getting 25 Mbps on the Mac Mini, about double what the USB adapter did for me previously.

For what its worth, pointing the browser at the CCK's IP number gave me a login screen - admin/admin got me in as lugnutathome suggested. Super-easy interface via the web browser to configure the CCK if it doesn't happen automatically. (I just checked this out - didn't need to do anything here.)

It seems kind of silly to have this giant thing (I'd forgotten just how large it was!) almost the same size as the mini providing the mini its internet connection - but its under the table and most people won't notice it. Saves me more time and money! :-)

Excellent - Thanks guys!

#9 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:04 AM

I don't have WPS capability on my router, unfortunately.

This is just a side point, but be glad your router does not have the option; WPS can present a major security flaw in your network. Its recommend, if your wireless router has it that you disable it in the web based control panel if the option is there.

http://www.neowin.ne...-flaw-explained

#10 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

This is just a side point, but be glad your router does not have the option; WPS can present a major security flaw in your network. Its recommend, if your wireless router has it that you disable it in the web based control panel if the option is there.

http://www.neowin.ne...-flaw-explained

Thanks - I didn't know about this. In the end, it didn't matter for the current issue, however. So, I can be glad my router doesn't have WPS.

spam firewall