Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get a Genie shipped

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

I just decided to replace one of my 3 DVRs with a Genie.  The CSR did agree that I was entitled to the new box without any cost, but she would not ship it to me no matter what I said.  I have to have a "professional installation."

I've been with D* since 1995 and have installed almost all of my own equipment, running cables, etc.  I don't need someone to come out to "install" it which requires unplugging a few wires, pulling out one box and plugging the new wires into the new one.

I know people here have had a Genie shipped directly to them.  What did you say to the CSR to get them to send it instead of arranging an installation?

SMK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

If you have SWM, they probably don't have you marked as having it, that only happens when they install.

If you have SWM, they'd need to put on a normal LNB and install a SWM 16. Otherwise they would just start you out with a SWM 1 setup.

#3 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

In my case, I wasn't already set up for SWiM, so they had to send someone out. There may be a similar reason they won't let you do a self-install.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Links: My System Diagram | System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.

#4 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

I just decided to replace one of my 3 DVRs with a Genie.  The CSR did agree that I was entitled to the new box without any cost, but she would not ship it to me no matter what I said.  I have to have a "professional installation."

I've been with D* since 1995 and have installed almost all of my own equipment, running cables, etc.  I don't need someone to come out to "install" it which requires unplugging a few wires, pulling out one box and plugging the new wires into the new one.

I know people here have had a Genie shipped directly to them.  What did you say to the CSR to get them to send it instead of arranging an installation?

SMK

As the others have said it all depends on whether or not your account is noted as a SWiM setup.  You can't tell them you're using SWiM, a tech has to verify that.  If you're dead set on having one shipped the only sure fire way is to buy it from solidsignal.com, or someone else, and then see if DirecTV will credit you the purchase price.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

The SWM's the issue then.  I added SWM on my own about 3 years ago when I had work done on my house and only wanted one wire coming in.  At the time I used the SWM LNB.  I have 3 DVRs and will get rid of one when I'm adding the Genie.  I had expected I would keep the SWM LNB and just use my backup DVR set for 1 satellite, and I still think that's the plan, but I'll see what the installer shows up with.  [And BTW I was very glad to see recent posts that with this setting an HR20, which is what I have, could still record 1 sat and 1 OTA program at the same time.]

I was also not happy that the CSR refused to give me a name for the installation company or a way to contact them to make sure that they had everything they would need for this install.  "It's all done by computer, and the computer order will make sure that everything that's needed for this install will be on the truck."

Why am I not confident?  When I needed my satellite re aimed 3 years ago, the installer who came out was great, and he left me a card saying I could call him directly, so maybe I'll try that number.

SMK

#6 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

As mentioned above, SWiM16 is a different setup than SWiM8. Plus a lot of new cabling. Genie + 2 DVRs/HDDVRs = 9 tuners.

-=K=-

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

An installer would not do it that way, the only way they can do it is a SWM16. If possible, try to get a morning appointment. Ask the installer if he has any HR44's, get that if possible. But if he's already there, don't send him on his way if all he has is 34s.

#8 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

I didn't have SWM and I wanted to guarantee I would get an HR44, so I ordered a SWM8 multiswitch, Power inserter and a 4 way splitter from Amazon and I ordered an HR44-500 from Weaknees.  DirecTV gave me a $100 credit on my next bill and a $30 credit for the next 12 months.  I simply replaced my old WB68 multiswitch with the SWM8, re-ran satellite setup on my two HR21-700 to define SWM setup and set one of the HR21s to single tuner.  Connected the HR44 to the SWM 8, called DirecTV and had it activated for my account.  I also connected my HR10-250 to two of the legacy ports.

Everything works great and I didn't need a DirecTV installer.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,391 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

The SWM's the issue then.  I added SWM on my own about 3 years ago when I had work done on my house and only wanted one wire coming in.  At the time I used the SWM LNB.  I have 3 DVRs and will get rid of one when I'm adding the Genie.  I had expected I would keep the SWM LNB and just use my backup DVR set for 1 satellite, and I still think that's the plan, but I'll see what the installer shows up with.  [And BTW I was very glad to see recent posts that with this setting an HR20, which is what I have, could still record 1 sat and 1 OTA program at the same time.]

I was also not happy that the CSR refused to give me a name for the installation company or a way to contact them to make sure that they had everything they would need for this install.  "It's all done by computer, and the computer order will make sure that everything that's needed for this install will be on the truck."

Why am I not confident?  When I needed my satellite re aimed 3 years ago, the installer who came out was great, and he left me a card saying I could call him directly, so maybe I'll try that number.

SMK

If you only have one wire coming in, a Genie won't work with two DVRs with your current setup. If you don't want more than the one wire you already have coming in, your only choice will be to disable one tuner in one of the DVRs, or in the Genie.

Otherwise the installer will have to replace the LNB in your dish and either run three more cables from the outside to the inside and install a SWM16 inside, or run one more cable from the outside and mount the SWM16 on your dish.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#10 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

A 'free' (whatever that means these days) install and hardware for a SWiM 16 setup is a nice bump. 

I'm juust still finding it odd Genies have 5 tuners, instead of 4, 6, or 8.  These 9 tuner situations sure happen frequently.

:eek2:

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

IIRC, SWM chips comes with 3 tuners each. so an HR2x HDDVR has one SWM chip, it uses one tuner to communicate and two for TV watching. if this is correct, then a Genie has two SWM chips, it uses one tuner for communication and then it has 5 left over to watch TV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Aha !!!

Always wondered about that.  Odd numbers are,

well,

odd.

:nono2:

#13 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

I appreciate everyone's input.  I understand that the options are to continue with the SWM LNB and just set one of my HR20's to one tuner.  As I mentioned above, I am wiling to do this because as the "backup" DVR, I don't need more tuners, and I understand it will still record 2 programs if at least 1 of them is OTA.  I do get Providence and Boston stations OTA, so a lot of my recording is OTA.

The alternative is a SWM 16. I do understand how it works, and if I go that route, I will have them mount the SWM outside and drill one more hole in the side of the house next to the other and bring the line into my attic.  I luckily have it set up so that there is a splitter in the attic right where the lines will come in, so I would just remove the splitter and attach one line to each of the two coaxes that currently come off the splitter.  That will give me 7 tuners in the family room and 2 in the bedroom.

I also hope they have DECAs on the truck because even though I have Whole Home active, it is in "unsupported mode," and I will need to put the two remaining HR20's on DECAs.

Thanks again for the info. 

BTW any ideas how to get in touch with the installer the day before since D* won't tell me who they are or let me try to get in touch with them directly.

SMK

#14 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

The installer will call either the night before or the morning of to confirm.  You can talk to them then.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

99% It will NOT be the night before that you get a phone call and may not even get one at all.

#16 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

I always have.  But I supposed each area is different.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

T

BTW any ideas how to get in touch with the installer the day before since D

Impossible.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

I appreciate everyone's input.  I understand that the options are to continue with the SWM LNB and just set one of my HR20's to one tuner.  As I mentioned above, I am wiling to do this because as the "backup" DVR, I don't need more tuners, and I understand it will still record 2 programs if at least 1 of them is OTA.  I do get Providence and Boston stations OTA, so a lot of my recording is OTA.

The alternative is a SWM 16. I do understand how it works, and if I go that route, I will have them mount the SWM outside and drill one more hole in the side of the house next to the other and bring the line into my attic.  I luckily have it set up so that there is a splitter in the attic right where the lines will come in, so I would just remove the splitter and attach one line to each of the two coaxes that currently come off the splitter.  That will give me 7 tuners in the family room and 2 in the bedroom.

I also hope they have DECAs on the truck because even though I have Whole Home active, it is in "unsupported mode," and I will need to put the two remaining HR20's on DECAs.

Thanks again for the info. 

BTW any ideas how to get in touch with the installer the day before since D* won't tell me who they are or let me try to get in touch with them directly.

SMK

I'm not sure the installer will have the option to to stay with a SWiM LNB.  You might be able to talk him into it but he will likely already has an order to install the SWiM-16 because of the tuner count.

Another reason DIRECTV requires  the install is it must be on a supported Whole Home setup.  (S)he is not supposed to install a Genie on anything other that a supported Whole Home setup.  IIRC, you won't have any choice in that matter...that is unless you purchase the Genie and do the self-install. 

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#19 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCoastal North Carolina

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

I already have SWM 16, running 7 receivers with Whole-Home.    Based on the above I guess I should be able to just get the Genie sent to me like every other STB I have purchased/leased in the past few years.  And, I'll have to take down 2 current boxes to get down to a total of 15 tuners - 5 on the Genie and 10 on 5 STBs.  But still rolling the dice as to whether the package shows up with a 34 or a 44.  Anything I can do to improve to odds for a 44?

Thanks a lot.

LPB

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

I. Anything I can do to improve to odds for a 44?

Thanks a lot.

LPB

Yup, buy from SolidSignal...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...