Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HS Athlete Suspended for driving drunk friend

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

http://espn.go.com/b...ng-drunk-friend

Can we as a society get any stupider? :(

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

It could be another stupid, non-discretionary reaction mandated by school rules, or it could be that we haven't been told all of the details. It is possible that the claim that this driver arrived after the police were on the scene is in dispute.

The Boston Herald's site search engine produced nothing newer for "Erin Cox" than a December 2012 article about the volleyball team she was on, and the Boston Globe search engine had nothing newer than an an account of the October 7, 2013 game she played in. I began my paid ($3.99/week) subscription to the Boston Globe last week.

BTW, how well does the Herald search engine work for any of you? Starting about two or three months ago, the search window stopped appearing on Boston Herald pages that I had accessed through AOL. Then about a month later, their search window still appeared on Firefox-accessed pages but was non-functional. Now it does not appear on Firefox-accessed pages, either, but it does still appear and function when I access Boston Herald pages through IE10.

Edited by AntAltMike, 15 October 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,986 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

Yeah, there's likely a bit more to this story than the eye catching title and poorly written short article. Seems like Mommy & Daddy are pushing for exposure to a story to make their princess look good.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

As I suspected, other accounts differ from ESPN's, including one televised account in which her mother was interviewed that said that the police arrived "shortly" after she did, whereas in ESPN's account, she arrived after the police were already there.

As of right now, the Boston Globe, which last included this student's name in an October 7, 2013 article on her school's volleyball team, does not mention it, but then strangely, the search engine of the Boston Herald, the newspaper that ESPN says it got the info from, doesn't locate any current articles with her name in them either. I just recently subscribed to the Globe for $3.99/week, and this was my first attempt to use their search engine since then, but previously, when I was a non-subscriber, the search engine worked fine but brought me to articles that I'd have pay for.

In "fairness" to the Boston Herald, they seem to be disabling their search engine. It got taken off AOL-retrieved pages a few months ago, then it got disabled on Firefox-retrieved pages and more recently, it stopped appearing on Firefox-retrieved pages at all, but I still can access it when I access the Boston Herald site via IE10.

Edited by AntAltMike, 15 October 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,986 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

Yep, and they're focused on what the lawyer for the school said ... that she was drunk. That does appear to be wrong, but she was there. Seems like the wrong place at the wrong time type of deal.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Yep, and they're focused on what the lawyer for the school said ... that she was drunk. That does appear to be wrong, but she was there. Seems like the wrong place at the wrong time type of deal.

Seems that way.  Wrong place, wrong time.  But as new facts come to light, those who enforce the rules need to change the punishment to fit the new facts.

More Coverage:

http://www.ksdk.com/...r-for-drunk-pal

http://fox4kc.com/20...drunken-friend/

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,001 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

While I don't think she should have received this much of a punishment, there should have been an adult involved. If she was called to get someone out of the situation, did she tell her parents? They should have been involved at the least. Or better yet, the callers parents. I know at least with my parents, if I found I was in a bad situation like that, calling  them to get me out of it would not get me in trouble, or at least not in any more trouble than I was already in.

This actually may also be illegal in some states. I know in Ohio there is a bill to ban teenagers from driving with an unrelated underage passenger. Currently they are allowed one.

#8 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

I've scanned half a dozen articles but have not seen the comment by the school's attorney that she was drunk. If he actually said that, he, as an attorney, should have known enough not to say that, as it is the kind of comment that attorneys advise their clients against making.

From ESPN's article:

When Cox arrived to pick up her friend, police already were there and arrested several people for underage possession of alcohol, and warned several others they'd be summoned to court for drinking.

But from the source article, she had already been there for some time:

Erin drove to a home on Main Street in Boxford and worked her way through a wild scene of partying teens until she finally found that friend — just as police from Boxford, Haverhill, Georgetown and North Andover showed up. They arrested a dozen underage drinkers and warned another 15 underage youths that they’d be summoned to court for drinking...

There were 600 comments following the ESPN article and all of the first 30 bought the story as ESPN reported it, hook, line and sinker.

She may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, but she might have been at the wrong place for quite a long time. In any case, I can't fault the school for what it did based on what I have read so far. I admittedly didn't have a car or a job when I was seventeen and didn't have any friends who would call me or anyone for a ride if they were drunk, but we of course don't even know that happened. Maybe her friend called and said, "Hey, come to our cool party."

Edited by AntAltMike, 15 October 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

.. I know at least with my parents, if I found I was in a bad situation like that, calling  them to get me out of it would not get me in trouble, or at least not in any more trouble than I was already in....

But that could only be conjecture on your part if you had never actually experienced, "a bad situation like that".

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,001 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

But that could only be conjecture on your part if you had never actually experienced, "a bad situation like that".

No, I know my parents. If I found myself at a party where there was underage drinking, not calling them to remove me from the situation would have made the situation worse, even if I had been drinking. I would think it would be the same with any good parent.

But it is true, I have never been in that situation. The worst I'd been in was not realizing the strawberry daquiri's I had at a LAN party in college were stronger than I was used to. 

#11 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

This party involved a lot of people, including the 14 arrested, and 15 more "underaged youths" who were told they would be "summoned for drinking". The 14 arrested most likely included a few 21 year olds who were corrupting minors, but the police would have had no reason to arrest anyone over 21 who was not drunk or involved in hosting. How big a house was this? Who has cool parents that let 40 or more kids have a wild party in their house? This sounds more like a movie than anything I have ever experienced.

Edited by AntAltMike, 15 October 2013 - 10:41 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

No, I know my parents. If I found myself at a party where there was underage drinking, not calling them to remove me from the situation would have made the situation worse, even if I had been drinking. I would think it would be the same with any good parent.

But it is true, I have never been in that situation. The worst I'd been in was not realizing the strawberry daquiri's I had at a LAN party in college were stronger than I was used to.

Ward, I think you should speak to the Beaver...

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,986 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

I've scanned half a dozen articles but have not seen the comment by the school's attorney that she was drunk. If he actually said that, he, as an attorney, should have known enough not to say that, as it is the kind of comment that attornies advise their clients against making....

I was wrong... I meant arrested not drunk. My fault. The school lawyer said Erin was arrested.

http://www.ksdk.com/...d=2744059685001

#14 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Who has cool parents that let 40 or more kids have a wild party in their house? This sounds more like a movie than anything I have ever experienced.

More common that you know.   Usually at least one a weekend back when I was in HS.  Of course the drinking age was 18 back then.

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

This is absurd, since when did school districts get jurisdiction over kids lives?

Unless this party was on school property, or at a school sanctioned event, it is none of their business.

The police responded to the party and determined she was not in violation of any laws. That is all anyone including the schools needs to know.

HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,950 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

http://espn.go.com/b...ng-drunk-friend

Can we as a society get any stupider? :(

Yep!

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

This is absurd, since when did school districts get jurisdiction over kids lives?

They have jurisdiction over the team that she was a part of. It is a school sport. They can set rules for participation.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'm afraid that the inaccurate headlines accompanying these blog-grade articles are influencing too many opinions.

Edited by AntAltMike, 15 October 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

They have jurisdiction over the team that she was a part of. It is a school sport. They can set rules for participation.

It had nothing to do with the sport, it was deemed a violation of the schools chemical health policy (full text below).

That is the basis for the 5 Game (4 weeks) and for the loss of Captains position under the special guidelines laid out for students in "leadership" positions.

The problem is, nothing she did violates that policy. She did not USE, POSSESS, DISTRIBUTE, PURCHASE, CONSUME or BE UNDER INFLUENCE as clearly stated in the first paragraph.

Hopefully, she will not learn the lesson and the next time her phone rings, she still does the right thing.

Chemical Health Policy – Activities

For students participating in a co-curricular activity (including but

not limited to: clubs, theatrical performance, musical performance,

student government, National Honor Society, etc.) the prohibition period

for use, possession, distribution, purchasing, having consumed, or being

under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs (controlled substances)

includes the school year from the first official day of school to the last

official day of school including weekends and vacations.

First Violation: When the Principal confirms, following an

opportunity for the student to be heard, that a violation occurred, the

student shall be removed from the activity for four (4) weeks. If the

student agrees to attend an approved chemical dependency program or

treatment program, the consequences will be reduced to two (2) weeks of

the activity.

Second and Subsequent Violation(s) During the Student’s

High School Career: When the Principal confirms, following an

opportunity for the student to be heard, that a violation occurred, the

student shall be removed from the activity for eight (8) weeks. If after the

second or subsequent violation the student agrees to attend an approved

chemical dependency program or treatment program, the consequences

will be reduced to four (4) weeks of the activity.

Students in leadership positions, including but not limited to: co-curricular

activity, club, student government officers, band/chorus officers

additionally jeopardize their position if they violate the alcohol or drug

(controlled substance) prohibition.

A student leader who is disciplined or involved in an incident involving a

alcohol/drugs (controlled substance) violation at ANY TIME, including

summer vacation, will lose his/her leadership position in addition to any

other consequences.

• Herdfan likes this
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#20 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

While it doesn't seem to state it in that policy I know many schools, including the one my wife works at, have rules against a student even being present in a place where underage drinking (or other illegal activities) are taking place.  So just being at a party where minors are consuming alcohol, even if that student is not drinking, is still against the rules and can get them in trouble, sometimes even as much trouble as the ones that are drinking.  Perhaps that is what is going on here.

My wife's school has busted many kids with this policy just from their Facebook pages alone.  Kids are dumb enough to post pictures from parties that other students/teachers/administrators can see on Facebook.  If they see one kid drinking in any of the pictures all of the kids in any of those pictures are in trouble.

As far as punishment goes, the schools can't punish them with stuff like detentions, suspensions, etc. for stuff not done on school property.  However they can and do suspend them from any kind of extra-curriculars like sports, dances, theater, band, clubs, field trips, both in not being able to perform in or attend the events.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...