Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rewiring my system

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KC2LLW

KC2LLW

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hello,

I have added on to my home and want to rewire my DTV system. I currently have 6 tv's 2 regular SD dvr's and 4 HD dvr's I have a slimline 3 LNB with 4 wires coming into a zinwell W68 then split to another W68 to feed 2 lines to each dtv dvr receiver boxes. I will be adding 3 more tv's in the new addition HD dvr's so I will have a total of 9 dvr's. I was thinking about changing out my LNB for a SWM SL3 LNB buying a SWM 16 MS with 2-8 way SWM splitters and running 1 wire to all the receivers, would the 29volt power inverter work on the SWM SL3 LNB? This would also alow me to run one wire in from the outside dish and clean up the wiring on the outside. Am I on the right track? I want to do the work myself as I enjoy it.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,813 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

A receiver has one tuner, a DVR has two tuners. An SWM16 multiswitch is capable of feeding a maximum of 16 tuners. Also, any external multiswitch including the SWM16 requires all 4 coax from the dish, so you don't want to change your LNB.

What you need to do is run two multiswitches in parallel. This can be two SWM switches if all of your receivers are SWM capable, or you can run an SWM and one of your existing WB68's in parallel. That is not a system that DirecTV will support, but it works just fine.  Run the four coax from the dish to four wide-band dual port power passing splitters. From the outputs of the splitters run coax to each of the multiswitch inputs. You need to keep them in the proper order (both outputs of one splitter need to go to the same input on both multiswitches). This is actually how you should have wired your WB68's, cascading them is not recommended.

If your SD DVRs are R15's they won't work on SWM. If they are R16's they will.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

More to the point, you CANNOT cascade SWiM gear. You can cascade the splitters (up to eight tuners per cable), but it ends there.

I highly recommend rethinking the whole 9 DVR thing in favor of some manner of Whole Home setup with receivers instead of DVRs. Of course if you believe that double redundancy isn't redundant at all and you have at 6 non-repeating programs that you might want to record in triplicate simultaneously, have at it.

Any way you look at it, nine boxes is going to set you back at least $58/month in hardware fees but the up-front lease-entry cost on DVRs is typically double that of HD receivers.

If the house has become dimensionally very long, the installer will likely be concerned about the cable runs as there are some limits to how much total cable you can hang off of a SWiM port.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,526 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

More to the point, you CANNOT cascade SWiM gear. 

While it might not be the best way to do it, you can def cascade a SWM16 of a SWM16, but splitters are preferred.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

While it might not be the best way to do it, you can def cascade a SWM16 of a SWM16, but splitters are preferred.

We're talking two different configurations here. I got the feeling the TS wanted to extend one cable off a SWiM splitter (based on the comment about using a SWM LNB outfitted dish with a SWM16) as opposed to all of the legacy ports (that may be needed for the SD DVRS). Then again, I suppose of the aforementioned SD DVRs were legacy, they could be connected to the downstream SWM-16 legacy ports.

I view pass-through (something DISH uses commonly) as something different from cascading but I guess their related in this instance.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

DIRECTV uses the term "cascade" to refer to coming from the legacy ports on one SWM into another SWM. It can be done but the input levels to the multiswitches are not the same in that case which can lead to issues if reception is spotty.

However, you cannot cascade from a SWM LNB to another multiswitch. It just plain doesn't work. The best way to to do this is to keep the existing LNB and use approved splitters to split the signal.

I swear someone did a couple of downloadable PDFs full of diagrams that would clarify that. Maybe someone could post a link to them.

BTW, the 29V PI can be used just fine with a SWM LNB.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

DIRECTV uses the term "cascade" to refer to coming from the legacy ports on one SWM into another SWM.

The TS spoke of the time-honored method of DIRECTV cascading where four outputs of the initial WB68 are routed to the inputs of a second WB68 (second sentence of the OP). As such, I question your "DIRECTV uses the term" statement.

What you speak of is DISH style cascading where the multiswitch features through ports but with very narrow limitations as to what switchgear you can cascade.

As Peds notes, while involving not just a little extra (passive) hardware, paralleling is the preferred method in DIRECTV circles.

spam firewall