Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AM-21 questions...

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

Wanted to get some feed back on these units. Currently DTV and our local ABC affiliate are in a dispute. We can get the channel, as well as the other major networks, thru an OTA antenna. My questions are, does the AM-21 still find the local signals? I 've read in these Forums that because of a Firmware update they don't always find the local signals. Is that true? Also I assume you connect it to the HR44 via USB. Is it powered thru the USB connection or thru a wall outlet? If the HR re-boots, does the AM-21 also need to re-boot? Thanks for any help with these Q's.....

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

The AM21 is dependent on what is contained in the guide data..at least for all of the HR2X models.  It does not do a channel scan. If there are any channels in your area that are not included in the guide data, they will not appear in your guide and you will not be able to tune them in.

I am not sure about the current status of the Genies on that front.  At one time the HR34 would do a channel scan but I don't know if that is still the case.

Edited by HarleyD, 15 October 2013 - 09:05 AM.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#3 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

The AM21 is dependent on what is contained in the guide data..at least for all of the HR2X models.  It does not do a channel scan. If there are any channels in your area that are not included in the guide data, they will not appear in your guide and you will not be able to tune them in.

I am not sure about the current status of the Genies on that front.  At one time the HR34 would do a channel scan but I don't know if that is still the case.

Genies now no longer scan.  They act just like hr2X with AM-21.

#4 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

Genies now no longer scan.  They act just like hr2X with AM-21.

So there is no way to check my HR44 if OTA Guide data is present until an AM-21 is attached to it? Is that correct?

#5 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

So there is no way to check my HR44 if OTA Guide data is present until an AM-21 is attached to it? Is that correct?

You can go to this DirecTV site:

http://www.directv.c...nt/hd/hd_locals

Edited by bpratt, 15 October 2013 - 09:40 AM.

HR10-250   250G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x0987
DirecTV since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

You can go to this DirecTV site:

http://www.directv.c...nt/hd/hd_locals

?? I am speaking of OTA signals......

#7 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

We too lost several local stations due to the DTV /Station owner dispute.  Luckily when they installed the HR-44 Genie I kept my AM-21 connected and it works fine.  I would think that since DTV carried the staion before the dispute it would be there via OTA as ours are currently.

#8 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

When you click on the link, on the line that says Zip Code, type in your zip code.  Then page down to Channels and click Local Channels.  It will list the local channels you can receive for your zip code.

HR10-250   250G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x0987
DirecTV since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

We too lost several local stations due to the DTV /Station owner dispute.  Luckily when they installed the HR-44 Genie I kept my AM-21 connected and it works fine.  I would think that since DTV carried the staion before the dispute it would be there via OTA as ours are currently.

Thank you.....

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

When you click on the link, on the line that says Zip Code, type in your zip code.  Then page down to Channels and click Local Channels.  It will list the local channels you can receive for your zip code.

No, the TS is referring to local channels broadcast OTA which are not necessarily the same as ones DIRECTV carries on their system and sent to subscribers in a market over the satellites.

Anyway, short of installing the AM21 to actually see if the DIRECTV OTA database has the local channels you want stored. Your best option is the download Gary Toma's Excel Spreadsheets of the latest satellite and OTA channel maps from here;

http://www.dbstalk.c...efresh-1092013/

And look under the OTA tab for your market's listings. The list is not always accurate, but usually very good.

Other than that you will need to have someone else in your market who is using an AM21 in their setup on this forum post what is in the channel line-up.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#11 OFFLINE   glrush

glrush

Cool Member/Supporter

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

I have the AIM-21N hooked up to a Genie HR44. It mapped all the networks and the sub channels so I can record ME-TV etc. It is pretty sweet !

#12 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

No, the TS is referring to local channels broadcast OTA which are not necessarily the same as ones DIRECTV carries on their system and sent to subscribers in a market over the satellites.

I would expect that every station that Directv delivers via satellite they'd have guide data for if you receive it via OTA. Is that not the case?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#13 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Wanted to get some feed back on these units. Currently DTV and our local ABC affiliate are in a dispute. We can get the channel, as well as the other major networks, thru an OTA antenna. My questions are, does the AM-21 still find the local signals? I 've read in these Forums that because of a Firmware update they don't always find the local signals. Is that true? Also I assume you connect it to the HR44 via USB. Is it powered thru the USB connection or thru a wall outlet? If the HR re-boots, does the AM-21 also need to re-boot? Thanks for any help with these Q's.....

In terms of a major network affiliate, chances are they have the guide data. Usually missing guide data impacts smaller or low power stations or the subchannels of big stations. Especially if there's a dispute, I'd be willing to bet DirecTV has the guide data. But, it is true that the AM21 will not scan in stations it does not have guide data for.

For your other questions, since you have the HR44 with the external power supply, you will need to run a separate power cord to the AM21. For all the older receivers, you would disconnect the power cord from your DVR, plug it into the AM21, and then the AM21 has an "outgoing" power cord that would loop into your DVR, meaning you only needed one outlet. This will not work on the HR44 because the HR44 has an external power supply. The AM21 is not powered via USB. Finally, when the HR44 reboots, the AM21 will reboot. It should be noted that the AM21 is a tuner only, it doesn't do any recording or hook up directly to your TV in any way, so don't think of it as a separate unit from the HR44 in those terms. Think of it as if you were putting the circuitry inside the HR44. That's how it works from a logical perspective 

Edited by JosephB, 15 October 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

In terms of a major network affiliate, chances are they have the guide data. Usually missing guide data impacts smaller or low power stations or the subchannels of big stations. Especially if there's a dispute, I'd be willing to bet DirecTV has the guide data. But, it is true that the AM21 will not scan in stations it does not have guide data for.

For your other questions, since you have the HR44 with the external power supply, you will need to run a separate power cord to the AM21. For all the older receivers, you would disconnect the power cord from your DVR, plug it into the AM21, and then the AM21 has an "outgoing" power cord that would loop into your DVR, meaning you only needed one outlet. This will not work on the HR44 because the HR44 has an external power supply. The AM21 is not powered via USB. Finally, when the HR44 reboots, the AM21 will reboot. It should be noted that the AM21 is a tuner only, it doesn't do any recording or hook up directly to your TV in any way, so don't think of it as a separate unit from the HR44 in those terms. Think of it as if you were putting the circuitry inside the HR44. That's how it works from a logical perspective 

Great info....thank you!

#15 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:10 AM

Here is some info for you. If you have a good antenna signal your AM21 will pick-up every channel your antenna picks-up. What is your DMA (Designated Market Area). This would tell you which channels are in D* database of channels and the ones with guide info. You can maybe even get some channels not in D* database by matching channel or RF channel numbers. But you will get any channel that your antenna receive's in your home DMA that is in D* database with guide info. The guide info is totally contingent upon D* database of channels. If it's in the database you will have guide info, if it's not you won't. So your home DMA is what really determines your situation.

Edited by coconut13, 16 October 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:50 AM

I would expect that every station that Directv delivers via satellite they'd have guide data for if you receive it via OTA. Is that not the case?

I'd expect it too, and may very well be true;

It certainly makes sense that way.

But given DIRECTV's frequently flawed OTA database which does not seem to even be upgraded any longer, I just didn't want to be too dogmatic about anything regarding it.  :)

Edited by HoTat2, 16 October 2013 - 04:52 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#17 OFFLINE   DirecTV 

DirecTV 

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

If the sticking point is that the OTA channels acquired with the AM21 (or HR20) may not include some of the lower power and sub-channels, then you still have the option of splitting the OTA signal and inputting one coax into the AM21 and the other directly into the TV.
The primary advantage of the AM21 is that it:
1) integrates the OTA channel schedule into the guide
2) enables recording of the OTA channel with the DVR
The tuner in the TV will pick up all of the OTA channels, including the ones not acquired by the AM21, as a gap filler.
The TV OTA input can also serve as the PIP channel.

N ▬  I do not / have not ever worked for DirecTV or DishNetwork

#18 OFFLINE   thebigeazy

thebigeazy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSouth Louisiana

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

I live in Slidell, LA, about 40 miles from the New Orleans TV transmitters, and about the same distance from the Biloxi/Gulfport, MS TV transmitters.  Using two antennas, one pointing to New Orleans and one pointed to Biloxi, I was able to receive over 30 OTA channels, and all of them showed up in the DTV guide, including a "local" LPTV station directed to the New Orleans hotels and restaurants.

#19 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

I live in Slidell, LA, about 40 miles from the New Orleans TV transmitters, and about the same distance from the Biloxi/Gulfport, MS TV transmitters.  Using two antennas, one pointing to New Orleans and one pointed to Biloxi, I was able to receive over 30 OTA channels, and all of them showed up in the DTV guide, including a "local" LPTV station directed to the New Orleans hotels and restaurants.

I live in Winter Haven, FL and I get the same type of results pulling in channels from both Tampa and Orlando...except that I get about 70 of them!

I also don't need two antennas.  From where I am the Tampa and Orlando "antenna farms" are almost exactly 180 degrees from one another.  My antenna is pointed toward Tampa, but I get get strong enough signals from Orlando on the back side of my antenna to tune in those channels except when the weather gets heavy.

Although, since I am closer to the Tampa transmitters by 10 or 20 miles I am considering turning the antenna toward the more distant transmitters in Orlando and getting the Tampa channels from the back side of the antenna since I don't believe those will be as greatly impacted by weather.

Personally, I love the AM21 and having the access to all the OTA signals in my area.  I have an AM21 on all of my HD-DVRs but one...and that one is an HR20 with integrated ATSC tuners.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#20 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

WOW!!   Unbelievable that you guys get all those OTA channels!  I get only from 1 market (Colorado Springs). I maybe could get the Denver market with a 75' pole!! I would be happy to get the Denver market(much better local news).  As it is my county is only allowed to rec'v the Springs channels (one of which is in this dispute). The next county over, about 6 miles away is considered in the Denver market and rec'vs those locals.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...