Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AM-21 questions...

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Well, Florida is a lot flatter than Colorado so not surprising that you have more trouble receiving more distant channels - mountains tend to block RF very effectively :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mroot

mroot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

I have a question for everyone. I have the AM-21 and it works very nice. I live in the Omaha area and get all of the locals perfectly. However, I am perplexed by one issue.

I can record the local CBS afflilate (KMTV) and it plays back just fine. However, when I record the local NBC affiliate (WOWT), the recording shows up in my playlist, but as soon as I try to play it back, it pauses for a second and then immediately shows Delete Recording!

It's almost as if WOWT is not allowing me to record their OTA stuff.

Does anyone have an answer to this or is there anyone in the Omaha area using the AM-21 and experiencing the same thing?

Thanks for any replies.

Mike

#23 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

I have a question for everyone. I have the AM-21 and it works very nice. I live in the Omaha area and get all of the locals perfectly. However, I am perplexed by one issue.

I can record the local CBS afflilate (KMTV) and it plays back just fine. However, when I record the local NBC affiliate (WOWT), the recording shows up in my playlist, but as soon as I try to play it back, it pauses for a second and then immediately shows Delete Recording!

It's almost as if WOWT is not allowing me to record their OTA stuff.

Does anyone have an answer to this or is there anyone in the Omaha area using the AM-21 and experiencing the same thing?

Thanks for any replies.

Mike

Are you able to watch live TV from the station exhibiting this problem? What is the signal strength for that station?

#24 OFFLINE   mroot

mroot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Yes. I have great signal strength on all local channels and sub-channels. Watching live is always excellent. No dropouts or pixelization.

Signal strength shows 85% on one tuner and 100% on the other.

This is for all channels. NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and the CW.

#25 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Yes. I have great signal strength on all local channels and sub-channels. Watching live is always excellent. No dropouts or pixelization.

Signal strength shows 85% on one tuner and 100% on the other.

This is for all channels. NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and the CW.

Broadcast content cannot be tagged to restrict recording, I don't even know if DirecTV's DVRs look for a CCI bit from an AM21. Whatever is happening, it definitely should not be.

#26 OFFLINE   mroot

mroot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

I checked recording on all of my OTA stations.

I found the only channel that does this is WOWT's main channel, 6.1. Subchannel 6.2 records just fine.

I am really confused.

#27 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

Do you also get that station via satellite? Can you record it that way?

#28 OFFLINE   mroot

mroot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Yes, we do. But we want to be able to record this channel when it's raining, so we got the AM-21.

#29 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

Interesting that you can record it then. That station must be setting the ATSC Redistribution Control Descriptor, i.e. the "broadcast flag" for OTA broadcasts. I guess the AM21 recognizes it, but the setting must be lost or ignored for Directv's rebroadcast so you can record it via satellite.

It might be set in error, since you wouldn't think it would be left on 24x7, unless the station owner really hates DVRs. You could try emailing a technical/engineering contact for the station and see if they can explain. If it is in error maybe they'll turn it off for you. Or maybe the flag isn't trying to prevent you from recording, but is set to a value the AM21 doesn't expect, and it is an AM21 issue. If so, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Directv to fix it :)

Edited by slice1900, 26 October 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   mroot

mroot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

Yes, our channel 6 (WOWT) is carried by DTV, as are all of the locals (except subchannels).

Not knowing what control TV stations may have over that, it seems strange that I can record their subchannel just fine.

I didn't buy the AM-21 from DTV, not not sure what help they would even give me. I don't think it's a problem with the AM-21, since I can record all the other channels and subchannels in Omaha.

That is why it is so puzzling.

I wish there was another Omaha DTV subscriber using the AM-21 that is on this forum.

#31 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

The broadcast flag can be set per stream or per program, so if it really is a broadcast flag issue, it's not necessarily odd that you can record their subchannels but not the main channel.

A DirecTV DVR should be able to record even protected content. How is your DVR connected to your TV? HDMI or component? And, are there any devices in the chain, such as HDMI switches or audio receivers?

#32 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

The problem may be the fact the AM21 connects to the receiver via USB. There are really weird and consumer unfriendly rules around content protection, and it may be that protected content can't be sent unencrypted over a USB link, as that would theoretically allow it to be copied.

Edited by slice1900, 26 October 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

The problem may be the fact the AM21 connects to the receiver via USB. There are really weird and consumer unfriendly rules around content protection, and it may be that protected content can't be sent unencrypted over a USB link, as that would theoretically allow it to be copied.

I highly doubt that is the case. DirecTV wouldn't build a device that was not fully ATSC compliant. Making the USB interface compliant with whatever is necessary to make it compliant with the broadcast flag would be trivial. 

#34 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:40 AM

I highly doubt that is the case. DirecTV wouldn't build a device that was not fully ATSC compliant. Making the USB interface compliant with whatever is necessary to make it compliant with the broadcast flag would be trivial. 

I'm not suggesting it is not compliant, I am suggesting that it is and that's why this is happening. Because it sends the digital signal to the receiver via USB, the broadcast flag may disallow that. Since ATSC signals are broadcast unencrypted, therefore one would assume the AM21 sends them to the receiver unencrypted. Though I guess that doesn't explain why it works when he's watching live, and is only a problem when he's recording.

The root of the problem is the local station setting the flag. I'm not aware of any local stations doing so, or if they do certainly not doing so all the time. It may well be unintentional on their part.

#35 OFFLINE   nola56

nola56

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

I live in Slidell, LA, about 40 miles from the New Orleans TV transmitters, and about the same distance from the Biloxi/Gulfport, MS TV transmitters.  Using two antennas, one pointing to New Orleans and one pointed to Biloxi, I was able to receive over 30 OTA channels, and all of them showed up in the DTV guide, including a "local" LPTV station directed to the New Orleans hotels and restaurants.

All  but 26-2 that is NOT in the guide or available on the AM-21 since DTV hasn't updated their database.

#36 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

All  but 26-2 that is NOT in the guide or available on the AM-21 since DTV hasn't updated their database.

You can easily get 26.2 ANTENNA TV New Orleans by using a secondary zip. You would have the wrong guide info, but you can pick-up the channel.

#37 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

I'm not suggesting it is not compliant, I am suggesting that it is and that's why this is happening. Because it sends the digital signal to the receiver via USB, the broadcast flag may disallow that. Since ATSC signals are broadcast unencrypted, therefore one would assume the AM21 sends them to the receiver unencrypted. Though I guess that doesn't explain why it works when he's watching live, and is only a problem when he's recording.

The root of the problem is the local station setting the flag. I'm not aware of any local stations doing so, or if they do certainly not doing so all the time. It may well be unintentional on their part.

My point is, if it worked in the way you suggest, it would be non-compliant. I highly doubt this is what is going on. It's more likely to be a misconfiguration at the broadcaster with the broadcast flag.

It could also be a problem with their encoder, and watching live the AM21 can handle it, but recorded there are some errors in the bitstream it can't handle. We really need to hear from someone else in his DMA who has an AM21 to see if they have the same problem. It could also be some weird problem with his DVR or AM21.

#38 OFFLINE   mroot

mroot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

I agree, it would be nice if there was someone in my DMA to confirm this problem.

I have the satellite receiver going through my Yamaha receiver vis HDMI and then HDMI to my Panny.

#39 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

I don't think it is an HDMI handshake/HDCP issue, because you'd have trouble watching live TV and you'd have problems on other channels like HBO as well.

#40 OFFLINE   mroot

mroot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

I received this email from the Chief Engineer at WOWT this morning:

"The  AM-21 is made to work with the DirectTV DVR receiver.     WOWT transmits the same as all the local channels.   I would call DirectTV and see if they have any ideas.   Please keep me informed as your progress."

I think I will hook the AM-21 to my upstairs DTV DVR and see what the results are.

Mike

Protected By... spam firewall...And...