Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

War and Peace will be adapted as a BBC miniseries.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

http://www.csmonitor...-BBC-miniseries

Don't normally look that far in advance, but this sounds interesting.

Edited by yosoyellobo, 15 October 2013 - 11:26 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

http://www.csmonitor...-BBC-miniseries

Don't normally look that far in advance, but this sounds interesting.

Once upon a time, I read that book.  Easily forgettable.

Rich

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,749 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

Rich

It was an assigned summer reading during my high school days.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

It was an assigned summer reading during my high school days.

God, I hated those assignments.  I like to pick out my own books.  Fortunately, there used to be comic books that were based on classic books.  I used them when I just could not read what was assigned.  Can't think of the name of those comic books.  Classic something?  

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

God, I hated those assignments.  I like to pick out my own books.  Fortunately, there used to be comic books that were based on classic books.  I used them when I just could not read what was assigned.  Can't think of the name of those comic books.  Classic something?  

Rich

Classical Ilistrated.

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Rich

We got a short list - think five and we had to read three over the summer and turn in book reports on 'em. They were part of our grade.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

Classical Ilistrated.

Classics Illustrated!  That's it.  I wrote many a book report using them.  

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

We got a short list - think five and we had to read three over the summer and turn in book reports on 'em. They were part of our grade.

We only had a very small library and did not have the means to be buying books.  Couldn't have gotten hold of five classics if I wanted to.  Now, I've got the whole state of NJ's libraries (well, almost all of them) at my fingertips.  Still don't want to read many of those classics, tho.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

Classics Illustrated!  That's it.  I wrote many a book report using them.  

Rich

Never read one of 'em. Don't know if I was a weird kid, but I did enjoy reading. Once I picked up a book, it was hard for me to put it down. Many of my summer reading books were done in just one day.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

We only had a very small library and did not have the means to be buying books.  Couldn't have gotten hold of five classics if I wanted to.  Now, I've got the whole state of NJ's libraries (well, almost all of them) at my fingertips.  Still don't want to read many of those classics, tho.

Rich

Our school had it own supply store that had everything at mark down prices. Only issue, its hours were extremely limited. It was open before class, but I never went to school early and after class it was open for like 15 minutes at the most. It should have been open during lunch, but it was never was while I was there.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Never read one of 'em. Don't know if I was a weird kid, but I did enjoy reading. Once I picked up a book, it was hard for me to put it down. Many of my summer reading books were done in just one day.

Ah, you couldn't have been given the same books to read we were.  I still read constantly.  Do you use an e-reader?  I tried and just couldn't do that.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Our school had it own supply store that had everything at mark down prices. Only issue, its hours were extremely limited. It was open before class, but I never went to school early and after class it was open for like 15 minutes at the most. It should have been open during lunch, but it was never was while I was there.

Didn't have a library in our schools until I went to high school.  I was amazed to find a library there.  It never occurred to me that a school would have it's own library.  

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

Ah, you couldn't have been given the same books to read we were.  I still read constantly.  Do you use an e-reader?  I tried and just couldn't do that.

Rich

Once I stop commuting, I stopped reading.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#14 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,119 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

Rich

The problem is War and Peace was not really written for a teen to enjoy and understand.  I believe if you were to read it again today that your opinion might very well change. Mrs. Fluffybear just finished reading it again (like many us, she read it for the first time while a teen) and said that this time she really appreciated it so much more. 

• MysteryMan likes this

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#15 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Rich

These? - Last of the Mohicans, Moby Dick, Catcher in the Rye, The Grapes of Wrath, Old Man and the Sea, several Dickens books, just to name a few I remembering now.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#16 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Rich

I use the Kindle App on my IPad and love it. Love flipping the pages with my stylus.

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

I use the Kindle App on my IPad and love it. Love flipping the pages with my stylus.

That is the App that gets 90% of the use time on my iPad. It's a great way to read.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#18 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:06 AM

The problem is War and Peace was not really written for a teen to enjoy and understand.  I believe if you were to read it again today that your opinion might very well change. Mrs. Fluffybear just finished reading it again (like many us, she read it for the first time while a teen) and said that tihis time she really appreciated it so much more. 

You hit the nail on the head fluffy.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

These? - Last of the Mohicans, Moby Dick, Catcher in the Rye, The Grapes of Wrath, Old Man and the Sea, several Dickens books, just to name a few I remembering now.

Read the Last of the Mohicans and Moby Dick when I was pretty young.  Could not get interested in the Catcher in the Rye or The Grapes of Wrath and I really don't like Dickens.  Hemingway is one of those authors, such as Elmore Leonard, that I just can't read. I end up staring at the pages and nothing sinks in.  Not being able to read Hemingway has always bothered me.

One of the really interesting things I've found about Moby Dick is that kids just don't read that book anymore.  I had an argument with my son's principal when he was in middle school about the way reading has declined because of what I perceive as a lack of interest (too many videogames) and a lack of inspiration on the teachers' parts.  We ended up in the hallway during class change and asking how many kids had read Moby Dick.  How many?  None!  Not one single kid and that principal was picking the best and brightest to ask.  

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,618 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

My GF and I independently came up with White Fang to (re)read just yesterday... strange, but something we shared must have triggered that response.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall