Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

IR Control of Distant HR34/44 with Samsung Smart TV

samsung smart tv directv

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   estiff

estiff

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

I have a new Samsung F8500 that is hooked up to my HR44 and all of my audio and video equipment in a central media closet in another room.  How should I hook up the IR blaster from the Samsung TV so that it will control the HR44?

I use a universal remote (MX-900) that sends is capable of sending IR to any of the devices in the media closet and I can operate the HR44 fine - but if I want to use the smart functions of the Samsung TV I would like to be able to also control the HR44.

As a starting point, it would be great to just be able to get the Samsung Remote Control to control the HR44 - but after I program it through the set-up prompts on the TV, it does not appear to be able to send the appropriate IR signal to the HR 44.  Meaning, that after I program that Samsung remote I took it into the media room and pointed it at the HR44 but it would not control anything even directly in front of the HR44.

Of course, ultimately, I guess I am trying to figure out how to transmit the IR signal output from the Samsung TV (that is supposed to control the HR44 - if it were right next to the TV) to the media closet where the HR44 is actually located.

The HDMI extender that I use to get the signal from the HR44 to the TV (via Cat5e) has an IR blaster function and I was thinking maybe there's a way to connect that to the Samsung Smart TV - but haven't quite got that noodled through.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

I highly doubt that the Samsung remote is able to control the HR44.  How are you trying to set it up?

Why aren't you just using your MX-900 to control everything?  Just create another activity for when you want to use the Samsung SmarTV functions.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

There is a VERY high likelihood that the Samsung remote knows about DIRECTV DVRs. The HR44 isn't really any different from any other DIRECTV branded DVR in terms of IR codes. I've heard mixed reviews of the Samsung remotes and their handling of devices like DVRs.

The IR feature of your HDMI extender is probably the next best way to facilitate having the TV run the show (short of putting the Genie near the TV).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   estiff

estiff

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

I highly doubt that the Samsung remote is able to control the HR44. How are you trying to set it up?

Why aren't you just using your MX-900 to control everything? Just create another activity for when you want to use the Samsung SmarTV functions.

The MX-900 is currently programmed to control both the TV and the HR-44. But, you're essentially controlling one device or the other. That works if I'm not using the Smart tv functions but I can't come up with a macro that would let it work the way the Samsung remote is supposed to work. That is, flipping through the smart tv pages but then when picking a program on Directv then acting like a Directv remote. For example, when I push the menu button in the Smart Tv pages it should bring up the Samsung menu but after I select a program on Directv and push menu the Directv menu should come up. If I spent enough time coming up with variables in programming I'm sure I could get close but I assume when working through the Samsung remote and IR blaster I'm getting there much simpler.

My only other thought is just to pay the six bucks and operate it all through the RVU.

Just seems there must be a better way and I don't like the idea of delays and other problems working through the RVU v HDMI directly.

p.s. The HR44 IR codes are the same as the prior Directv receivers. Still not sure why I can't get at least get the Samsung remote to operate the HR44 when I point it at it directly. Strange.

Edited by estiff, 15 October 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

I have never had much luck getting any TV remote to work the DirecTV DVRs properly.

That said, when you are trying to control the HR44 directly with the Samsung remote have you tried unhooking the IR repeater, or coverig it up somehow to make sure that it is not broadcasting some kind of IR signal that is causing the remote not to work.

I don't have much experience with the URC remotes, but don't they offer activities?  Why not have one activity for watching DirecTV, and one activity for using the Samsung Smart TV functions.  Then you just switch activites and the remote would be programmed to correctly control whichever functions you want to use.  So you start the Watch DirecTV activity, and hitting the menu button brings up the DirecTV menu, and the direction arrows on the remote move your cursor around in it, the play/pause/ff/rew buttons control trickplay on the DVR etc.  Then you switch to the Watch Samsung Smart TV activity and now htting the menu button on the remote brings up the Samsung TVs menu and the direction arrows move your cursor around in it, the play/pause/ff/rew buttons function for your TV apps like Youtube, Netflix etc.

I know having my Harmony remotes set up like this works very well.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

p.s. The HR44 IR codes are the same as the prior Directv receivers. Still not sure why I can't get at least get the Samsung remote to operate the HR44 when I point it at it directly. Strange.

The HR44 is probably getting a double signal - one from the remote and one from the IR extender. I have my equipment inside of an A/V center - behind closed doors. However, the doors have diamond mesh inserts in each door that allow air and IR signals, through. When I added an IR blaster for reliability, almost nothing worked until I figured out the double signal issue and put heavy black paper over the diamond mesh - eliminating the issue. Everything works fine now.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

I was thinking that too, but then I read his post again and saw that he mentioned that the equipment is in a different room than his TV and the IR receiver.  So there is no way the IR receiver is seeing the signal from his remote when he is pointing it directly at the HR44 since the HR44 is in a different room.

However, this could be a situation where his TV is giving off IR radiation, and that is being picked up by the IR receiver and sent to the IR blaster in the media closet, and that is causing the issue.  This is why I suggested removing the IR repeater from the setup to test.  I'm still leaning toward the Samsung remote not being able to control the DirecTV receiver at all though.  I'm wondering if he set the remote up so it can be used as an RVU remote, not as a remote for the actual HR44?

-by Jack Handy

#8 OFFLINE   estiff

estiff

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

I was thinking that too, but then I read his post again and saw that he mentioned that the equipment is in a different room than his TV and the IR receiver.  So there is no way the IR receiver is seeing the signal from his remote when he is pointing it directly at the HR44 since the HR44 is in a different room.

However, this could be a situation where his TV is giving off IR radiation, and that is being picked up by the IR receiver and sent to the IR blaster in the media closet, and that is causing the issue.  This is why I suggested removing the IR repeater from the setup to test.  I'm still leaning toward the Samsung remote not being able to control the DirecTV receiver at all though.  I'm wondering if he set the remote up so it can be used as an RVU remote, not as a remote for the actual HR44?

Currently, I don't have the TV set up as an RVU.  To program the remote, I just went through the set-up steps and indicated Directv receiver.  On that page where it allows you to test the signal, I even when to the advanced step where it asks you for the specific type of receiver - I typed in HR44 and it came up in the drop down menu (which I selected).  That's why I think the Samsung remote should control an HR44.

You are also correct that with the equipment in another room and closet - to test the remote, I actually went to that room and pointed the Samsung remote directly at the HR44 but nothing happened.  I will try taking off the repeaters, but they shouldn't be emitting anything because I am using just the one remote (Samsung) and it is not paired with the IR repeaters (just the MX-900 is).

All of that said, it does feel like I just don't have the Samsung remote set-up correctly and that it's not sending out Directv signals.  Do you know if there's another way (besides the set-up screens) to program one of the new Samsung remotes?  Couldn't see anything in the manual. 

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

No I'm not sure about programming the Samsung remote.

Here's another idea that might help though.  Do you have any other DirecTV HD receivers/HD-DVRs or Clients in the house in other rooms?  If so take the Samsung remote to them and see if it will control any of them.  All DirecTV HD equipment uses the same set of IR codes, so if the Samsung remote is set up for one it should control all of them (unless you happen to have switched one of them to an alternate IR code, but you usually only do that if you have multiple boxes in the same room).

-by Jack Handy

spam firewall