Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best way to get HD to remote TV?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

My house is currently overwired with about 40 RG6 outlets.  I now have a 722k that allows me to record four different shows of my choice at one time (two OTA and two satellite).  I also have a 211 with an EHD that allows me to record two more shows (one OTA and one satellite).  So right now I can record six shows at a time if necessary.  Both receivers are located at the main TV, so I have HD at that location only.  The other four TV's get an SD signal via a ChannelPlus distribution system.. 

I want to get an HD signal to at least one more TV, maybe two.  What would be my best solution?  I'm not sure I want to go with the Hopper system because I believe this limits my recordings that I can do now, but please tell me if I'm wrong.  I know there are some hard wired systems and some wireless systems that can deliver an HD signal to a remote TV.  Any input on any of those that actually work well and don't break the bank would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Len

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

The only practical way to get independent HD viewing is additional boxes.

If the viewing doesn't need to be independent, you can use some manner of HDMI extender (as low as $23 + two dedicated runs of CAT5e).

You simply can't drag another HD feed out of what you have otherwise without some non-trivial equipment that doesn't play well with TVs (Sling adapter technology).

Unless you watch a lot of obscure OTA or at odd times, the Hopper may well cover you with the PTAT feature. Only you can figure that out.

It has been my luck that the OTA programming I need to record is decreasing steadily while the cable channel repetitive show recordings have increased. If I prioritize the OTA stuff, the cable stuff will eventually come through in time.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   CyberWhip

CyberWhip

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

There are several options.  There is Slingbox which I hear works pretty well, also there are some wifi products, 720p for under $50, 1080p for ~$150.  I'm not sure how well those work. check these:  http://www.ebay.com/...ransmitter-hdmi

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,258 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:04 AM

My house is currently overwired with about 40 RG6 outlets. I now have a 722k that allows me to record four different shows of my choice at one time (two OTA and two satellite). I also have a 211 with an EHD that allows me to record two more shows (one OTA and one satellite). So right now I can record six shows at a time if necessary. Both receivers are located at the main TV, so I have HD at that location only. The other four TV's get an SD signal via a ChannelPlus distribution system..

I want to get an HD signal to at least one more TV, maybe two. What would be my best solution? I'm not sure I want to go with the Hopper system because I believe this limits my recordings that I can do now, but please tell me if I'm wrong. I know there are some hard wired systems and some wireless systems that can deliver an HD signal to a remote TV. Any input on any of those that actually work well and don't break the bank would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Len

2 hopper system gets you a minimum of six tuners to record from. And that can be all sat if need be. Not sure on the over the air part per se but I'm sure someone else will mention it.

Joeys then for your other two tvs would be the most solid way to get Hi Definition to four tvs total.

#5 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.  I just got off the phone with DISH customer service.  They told me that four of my six recordings must be the prime time networks.  That leaves me with two additional choices.  Right now I can record six shows of my choosing not two of mine and four of theirs.  They also told me that there is no OTA capability.  I often select OTA as my choice to record network shows because they are usually unaffected by the weather and whenever DISH and the locals get into a pissing contest about contract renewal, I always have OTA available even when DISH pulls the plug on local satellite broadcasts.  I'm pretty sure I've ruled out the Hopper/Joey system as one of my choices.  The $7 or $14 per month extra the Joey's would cost me is not a deal breaker, but thrown in with everything else, I can easily come out better in the long run getting some kind of an HDMI extender.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

There is Slingbox which I hear works pretty well, also there are some wifi products, 720p for under $50, 1080p for ~$150.

The Slingbox won't give you independent viewing and thus far, doesn't work all that well with televisions absent a WD TV Live box, Netgear NEO or a computer hooked to the TV. I seem to remember that the WD TV Live and Netgear NEO don't work with DISH's Sling Adapter (that could offer limited independent viewing).

Extending HDMI if you're using HDMI for the nearby TV isn't straightforward either.

Distributing HDMI to multiple TVs seems like a pretty daunting task and doing it component may not last for long in view of the advancement of DRM.

I've seen one thread about someone who was using a ATSC modulator setup but those things are stupid expensive and may also suffer at the hands of DRM at some point.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

They also told me that there is no OTA capability.

Hogwash.

http://www.mydish.co...gital-ota-tuner

DISH (and pretty much everyone else) needs to rethink the use of script readers as the first line of contact.

#8 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

Thanks Harsh.  It did cross my mind that the info I was getting from DISH might not be accurate.  It's happened before. Based on my phone conversation with DISH, I scratched the Hopper off my list.  Now with this new info, it's back as a possibility.

The info about OTA and the Hopper is a little bit vague.  When it says that " By connecting an over-the-air antenna, your Hopper will be able to view and record an additional local channel in your area. ," does that mean I can either watch OR record one OTA channel and not watch one live while recording another?

Just being able to watch and/or record one OTA channel is a real bonus for me.

Len

#9 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

You plug the tuner into the Hopper. You connect your antenna. You scan the available channels. Those channels then appear in the guide just like the satellite channels, right next to the satellite channels with a 01(or 02 etc) added depending on how many secondary channels the main one has. Satellite channel 3, OTA channels 3-01. etc... 

You then can record any one of the OTA channels and it is it's own tuner, still leaves the other three Hopper tuners available. It also permits you to also connect the OTA antenna directly to the TV, which would allow you to watch a second OTA channel at the same time from the TV itself.

#10 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

With a two Hopper system plus 2 Joeys you would pay $21 per month in receiver fees plus the DVR fee for Hopper system is now $10 per month - that's the bad news.

The good news is that you can get an OTA module for each Hopper giving you 8 total tuners that can record at the same time, additionally one Satellite Tuner on either (or both) Hopper can be set to record all your prime time programming for all 4 major networks, so you could record 5 satellite channels and 6 OTA channels simultaneously, or turn Prime Time Anytime off and record 6 satellite and 2 OTA channels simultaneously.  Any and all of these recordings can be viewed from either Hopper and from any Joey in the system.

The only limitation may be that if all your tuners are busy recording, you cannot watch another channel of any type (one that is not being recorded), but you could watch anything that is recorded on either Hopper.

Your situation sounds like it is a prime candidate for a two Hopper plus however many Joeys system.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#11 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

Suppose I get one Hopper and one Joey.  I really only care to have two TV's getting HD signals.  My other four TV's are wired into a Channel Plus video distribution system and receive an SD signal.  I use an RF remote at each SD location.  First - would I be able to still receive those SD signals via the distribution system. Second, would I have to get additional remotes (different than the ones I now have) at each location if I wanted to watch recordings, record and/or delete from the SD locations?  I don't want to have to run around the house looking for the right remote to use when I want to watch something away from the Hopper/Joey and I'm certainly not willing to pay for six Joeys when I really only want one.  If I go with the Hopper which at this point is not likely, I don't want any surprises when I get the system integrated into what I now have and then realize that I screwed up by not thinking of something.

#12 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

Neither the Hopper nor the Joey has an RF modulator, so you'll need to get one (I believe Wal-Mart sells a ch3-4 RF modulator for about $25) to port the output to the SDTVs.  Dish sells additional remotes for about $20 each.  The monthly receiver fee fir the Hopper and the Joey is the same, so if you can get 2 Hoppers reasonable instead of 1 Hopper and 1 Joey, you double your tuner cache.  Some have had to pay for the second Hopper, some have gotten them with no up-front charge.  USB OTA tuner for Hopper is $30 on the Dish website.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

I'm not sure where the Channel Plus comes in. It seems like the existing system could have been built without it. It could help with a Hopper system to distribute the SD signals to the one or two remaining SD watching TVs.

QUESTION: How many independent views do you need at once?

Your existing system provides only two HD views. If you've got five TVs but only two or three viewers, it makes a huge difference.

You need to give up thinking in terms of the Channel Plus as modulating HD is simply not economically feasible (I've heard numbers well in excess of $2,500). HDMI splitters or switches may be an option depending on the independent views answer.

Using coax is getting very difficult (or very expensive) in the world of HD outside of a MoCA solution like the Hopper/Joey combination.

#14 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

With a two Hopper system plus 2 Joeys you would pay $21 per month in receiver fees plus the DVR fee for Hopper system is now $10 per month - that's the bad news.

The good news is that you can get an OTA module for each Hopper giving you 8 total tuners that can record at the same time, additionally one Satellite Tuner on either (or both) Hopper can be set to record all your prime time programming for all 4 major networks, so you could record 5 satellite channels and 6 OTA channels simultaneously, or turn Prime Time Anytime off and record 6 satellite and 2 OTA channels simultaneously.  Any and all of these recordings can be viewed from either Hopper and from any Joey in the system.

The only limitation may be that if all your tuners are busy recording, you cannot watch another channel of any type (one that is not being recorded), but you could watch anything that is recorded on either Hopper.

Your situation sounds like it is a prime candidate for a two Hopper plus however many Joeys system.

Dish changed it's Hopper pricing structure earlier this year. Each Hopper carries a $12 mo. fee. Each Joey, $7 mo.

Edited by VDP07, 18 October 2013 - 09:32 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for trying to explain all of this to me guys - I appreciate it.

Let me explain where you are losing me and a little bit about my current setup.  TV2 from my 722 goes through my Channel Plus and out to five TV's on channel 64 (could select any free channel).  The signal from my 211 goes out to those same five TV's on channel 62.  At each of those TV's I have the ability to control either of my DVR's.  Currently those five TV's get only an SD signal and I'm okay with that.  The sixth TV at the receivers' location gets a direct HD feed.  I only want to make one more TV get an HD signal.  My concern is that I will not have the ability to play/record/delete at the four remaining TV's getting the SD signal without either a Joey or additional remotes.  I assume there is no way for my current remotes to operate the Hopper/Joey system.  Additional Joeys or additional remotes is an expense that would not be worth it to me.  Yes, I can afford to pay more, but I hate to just piss money away.  :)

What I've got now works great for my needs.  All I want to do is add an HD signal to a remote TV.  Right now 99% of the time there are only two of us watching TV's at any one time and each of us has the ability to do anything we want at any of the TV's.

Thanks again for educating me on all of this.  Please keep the suggestions coming.

Len

#16 OFFLINE   kevin d

kevin d

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

You can inject the modulated signal in to the Channel Plus from anywhere. Why don't you move the 211 to the 6th TV,  and the feed the SD signal back into the cable system. That would be 711 TV1 HD to a TV, TV2 on channel 64, the 211 HD to a TV and the same signal SD on channel 62 to the other 5.

Kevin D.

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

You can inject the modulated signal in to the Channel Plus from anywhere.

Aren't the Channel Plus devices themselves modulators? The models I've seen all had line level inputs.

If I'm understanding what a Channel Plus is, I'm still not sure why there's one in this setup. It would be of great utility in a DIRECTV system but not so much for DISH.

The advantage of not using the Channel Plus in this instance would seem to be that three feeds (including a Channel 3/4 feed from the OTA tuner) could come from the ViP722K instead of just one.

#18 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

You can inject the modulated signal in to the Channel Plus from anywhere. Why don't you move the 211 to the 6th TV,  and the feed the SD signal back into the cable system. That would be 711 TV1 HD to a TV, TV2 on channel 64, the 211 HD to a TV and the same signal SD on channel 62 to the other 5.

Kevin D.

Kevin - the problem with your solution is that right now both receivers are feeding an HD signal directly to the main TV and sending SD signals everywhere else.  Both my wife and I watch that TV (she has the 211 and I/We have the 722).  If I go with your solution, that would solve the HD problem at the bedroom TV, but we/she would lose the HD signal at the main TV.

Aren't the Channel Plus devices themselves modulators? The models I've seen all had line level inputs.

If I'm understanding what a Channel Plus is, I'm still not sure why there's one in this setup. It would be of great utility in a DIRECTV system but not so much for DISH.

The advantage of not using the Channel Plus in this instance would seem to be that three feeds (including a Channel 3/4 feed from the OTA tuner) could come from the ViP722K instead of just one.

The Channel Plus gives me the option to watch the TV2 signal from the 722 on Channel 64, the 211 signal from the 211 on Channel 62 and I have my DVD player setup for Channel 60.  Without the Channel Plus I wouldn't be able to have those options on five other TV's would I?

Len 

#19 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

you could also purchase a wireless system, pretty expensive, but does work.........but you would not have independent viewing @ the 2nd hd set

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#20 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

you could also purchase a wireless system, pretty expensive, but does work.........but you would not have independent viewing @ the 2nd hd set

Right now I think I'm leaning in the wireless direction.  Got any suggestions that you know work well?  Right now every TV in the house has to watch the same thing on the 211's feed, so I'm okay with the wireless HD signal doing the same.  I expected that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...