Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Uninterrupted Power Supply UPS

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

What is a good brand and Model of UPS that I should look at. I am looking to plug in my HR44,TV,Blu Ray, XBox,Modem,Cablebox,and GenieGo.
I do not want to try and break the bank if possible..
I was looking at the APS NS1080 for around $150, is that a good one, and is that worth the money.

Thank You..

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Glenee

Glenee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

I have run some of the expensive ones and I have run the APS. I think your choice is excellent. Not all plugs will be battery back-up, so make sure you plug the DTV rec. into one of those plugs.

Once I Started Doing what I Liked, I Liked Everything Better.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Personally, I'd only put the minimum equipment on the battery side. I only put my modem and DVR on it, to maximize the uptime. I definitely would not put a big screen TV on the battery, surge only.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

I use the APC 550G model. I have 3 units set up. I have all of my items plugged into it.

If the power goes out and I leave the TV and the computer on it will last about a minute.

If I turn off the TV and shut down the computer, it will last about 40 minutes.

For me the main purpose is to give me time to shut down my TV and computer and not have the spike when the power comes back.

A lot of the time, once or twice per month, I see a "blip" in the power that does not last long enough to knock out the lights in the house but will dim them and the UPS keeps the DVRs, TVs and the computer running for those blips.

They are a lifesaver if you have a DVR for sure.

I use surge suppressors plugged into the UPS to get enough plugs to plug all of my items into the battery back up sockets.

I have been running these for about a year now without any problems.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,531 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

I agree with only having things that have always active hard drives on the battery side.

Don't expect to be able to play when the power is out on a UPS alone; the batteries go relatively fast. Remember that the auto-shutdown feature (Powerchute) doesn't apply to non-computer equipment.

I have a separate oversized UPS for my modem, router, VOIP adapter and phone base station. I unplug the other stuff until I'm convinced the event is over.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Use the Battery Side for everything -I use a a an apc 1500 - power fail- it will last 15 mins holing flat screen & HDDVR allowing you plenty of time to turn it of while in use.  the reason you should use the Battery Side is if the AC power fails (cycles) Off and the on while watching it keeps the equipment from feeling the effects. When you asleep and lose AC power it Hold time is of no Value. YMMV

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#7 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

Having your DVR on UPS is good even for when you're not watching it. If you have a short outage or just a quick drop in power, even if you're not watching you might miss a recording.

It's also important to note that if you're putting your DVR on UPS, don't forget your SWM power inserter as well. Losing that would cause you to lose any recordings in progress, at least for a short period of time.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

I've got some HRs on UPS and some not on UPS.  Simply put, with 12 HRs, it would be fairly expensive to stick all of them on a UPS. In any event, it really doesn't seem to matter.  I've never had an HR fail after a power failure.  Or a computer.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   dwrats_56

dwrats_56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Having your DVR on UPS is good even for when you're not watching it. If you have a short outage or just a quick drop in power, even if you're not watching you might miss a recording.

It's also important to note that if you're putting your DVR on UPS, don't forget your SWM power inserter as well. Losing that would cause you to lose any recordings in progress, at least for a short period of time.

When I upgraded to the Genie and SWM a little more than a month ago, the installer would not plug the SWM power inserter into my UPS. He said that that the UPS's don't always provide the consistant that the SWM power inserter required. I just shook my head and moved it after he left.

I have 4 APC 500/550 and 1 Pro-1000, all have served me well.
Sony KDF-50E2000 DirecTV HR44-500 via HDMI
Sony KDL-46W4100 DirecTV HR21-700 via HDMI

Slimline 3 dish with SWiM

"My brain hurts."

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

When I upgraded to the Genie and SWM a little more than a month ago, the installer would not plug the SWM power inserter into my UPS. He said that that the UPS's don't always provide the consistant that the SWM power inserter required. I just shook my head and moved it after he left.

I have 4 APC 500/550 and 1 Pro-1000, all have served me well.

The "consistent" what?  Surely he didn't mean voltage.  Yet he must have, right?  

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   dwrats_56

dwrats_56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

The "consistent" what?  Surely he didn't mean voltage.  Yet he must have, right?  

Rich

Yep, I meant to say consistant voltage.

I should do a better job of proofreading what I write.
Sony KDF-50E2000 DirecTV HR44-500 via HDMI
Sony KDL-46W4100 DirecTV HR21-700 via HDMI

Slimline 3 dish with SWiM

"My brain hurts."

#12 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:44 AM

Ive run my DVR's (Dish and Directv) off UPS's for years, including the power inserter. I use APC and Cyberpower.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:58 AM

Rich

Maybe he was thinking of the switchover time. But then if you always got consistent voltage out of the outlet, there would be no point in a line interactive UPS.

#14 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

Maybe he was thinking of the switchover time. But then if you always got consistent voltage out of the outlet, there would be no point in a line interactive UPS.

There's no "switchover time" in a UPS, at least if it's of any use. Any dropout when the mains is removed that would be enough to cause a SWM PI to completely power off would be way more than enough to cause an attached computer to reboot. Ever notice how if you unplug a SWM PI, the light stays on for a (very) short (or, if there's no LNB connected a very long) time? The way those transformers work there's probably enough residual power to get you over a few millisecond hump while it switches over. 

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

I think there are still quite a few standby UPS's. APC's back-ups line is one. There has to be a switchover time on those. Short yes, but they don't go to battery instantaneously.

#16 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

I think there are still quite a few standby UPS's. APC's back-ups line is one. There has to be a switchover time on those. Short yes, but they don't go to battery instantaneously.

If there is a switchover time it is short enough for the DTV receiver not to reboot or my light to flicker or my computer and monitors to die.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#17 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,067 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

I can verify that the switchover time of the BackUPS family is not noticed by any of the connected equipment. This includes (on 3 UPSs) Windows PC, monitor, HR24, modem, router, CCK, and SWM PI. The living room has a SmartUPS as I was unsure how the equipment would handle the stepped approximation to a sine wave the lesser units put out.  One thing about plugging the TV into the UPS, if you have an older rear projection TV (LCD or DLP) then the cool down time for the HID lamp is critical.  I made sure the batteries were enough to give me time to turn off the TV and run through the cool down cycle. A side advantage is if I am not home and the DVR is the only thing running I have almost an hour before the batteries go out.

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

there is no switcher over because the electronics devices are always running off the batteries.  so when the power goes out, it does not stop powering the devices but rather it stops charging the batteries.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have every DirecTV DVR and Receiver, and the SWM's & GenieGo, and computers, TVs and all networking gear on APC BE550G's (TV's/printers on the non-battery side). Been on UPS for years, all good. Have 9 APC units throughout the house. Just be careful on generator power, very sensitive, while inverter generator power works fine.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#20 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

No, I agree, there are some that technically have a "switchover" period but it is on the order of milliseconds. For a SWM PI it's definitely short enough that you'd never notice it, and even for all the electronics you'd have in your AV closet or your TV. 

It does affect some computers depending on the type of power supply, the disruption can cause their transformers to shut off, but those combinations are rare and usually involved pretty beefy systems (700-1000 watt computers)

spam firewall