Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV is becoming a horrible company (opinion of a long time fan)

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

Not so good for Mexican's and Canadian's, who want to sub the receivers with a U.S. postal address.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,413 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

You can buy cable receivers, just not the ones your cable company distributes to customers. Devices like Tivos, tuner cards for your PC and a few set tops take cable cards, which by law the cable company must support.

People just take the path of least resistance, and don't do the math and figure out how much better a deal a Tivo is than a cable company DVR. Even moreso now for people who have a lot of TVs thanks to the Mini, which is a client to the Tivo like a Genie client. Same reason most people don't do the math and foolishly pay Tivo month to month instead of buying lifetime service up front.

If you buy the Tivo and the lifetime service, you never pay monthly fees except for the cable card fee - which are not needed in Minis. The resale value of a Tivo with lifetime service is really good. I could sell my original two tuner Premiere I've had for 3 1/2 years for $350-$400, and I only paid $500 for it including service. That's $3 to $4 a month, plus $1.99/month for the cable card, half the $10.95/month my local cable company charges for one. I imagine some cable companies rip you off for the cable card and charge almost as much as a DVR, the Tivo wouldn't be a good deal there.

There are no such financial benefits to owning versus leasing a receiver with Directv, since you pay per TV either way. I doubt Directv will ever get rid of the concept of owned receivers entirely since there will always be some people who feel they want to. Why shouldn't Directv sell them one for an inflated price and make a little money off them? (I know some people think that cost is what it costs Directv to actually make them, I don't believe that for a minute) They would need to come up with another solution for people who only want to activate receivers for a limited time for a guest room, children that are home for college just for the summer, a vacation or TV used seasonally, etc.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#83 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,228 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

In some ways, you were lucky you could even get a 24. They may not be in the majority, but some MDUs require an HR20i.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

This sounds like the entire problem is MDU related....unfortunately you choose to live in a building that is under an MDU agreement...huge pain in the rear.  Sounds like you live in a lousy one.

Do what I did and install your own dish on your balcony/patio IF that's physically possible. It was for me, so I went ahead and did just that. The only thing for which I contact my MDU is if there's a problem with my guest bedroom receiver, which is connected to the building's main dish. The receivers in the living room and my master bedroom are all connected to my balcony dish.

Oh, and when I wanted an HR44, I skipped the MDU and ordered a new one from Weaknees for $199.00 shipped, a price with which I was satisfied.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#84 OFFLINE   barrywisler

barrywisler

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • Locationsouth jersey

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using DBSTalk mobile app

Protected By... spam firewall...And...