Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Vizio debuts its Co-Star LT Stream Player, an $80 set-top box for HDTVs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,485 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

Vizio debuts its Co-Star LT Stream Player, an $80 set-top box for HDTVs

Vizio announced its followup to last year's inexpensive Co-Star Stream Player: the Co-Star LT. While you won't get the same full Google TV experience the Co-Star supplies, this humble set-top box may be enough to suit your needs as it offers 1080p Full HD, 3D and advanced HTML5 support. 

Additionally, Vizio's Internet Apps Plus platform lets you watch live TV while browsing apps like Netflix, Hulu Plus and YouTube.

screen-shot-2013-10-16-at-9.03.07-am.jpg
Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bobsacto

Bobsacto

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Unclear as to why the LT is referred in multiple articles as the low-cost alternative. Unless the LT street price is much less than the quoted 80 dollars there is no price difference since the regular Co-Star is 80 too. Have a Vizio TV and not all that impressed with the Vizio apps. Then again Google TV is not all that exciting.

#3 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have owned the Co-Star since Jan. of this year and can not recommend it. As a matter of fact I just purchased a new Roku3.  Adding another co-star was out of the question.

Google TV is a ill-conceived platform.  The unit itself has loads of nice features; Qwerty keyboard built into remote, interaction with directv receiver and service, ability to serve as a browser, android apps.

Because of the fragile state of Google TV the unit falls short in addition to: overheating, continuously freezing-up, lack of software updates to fix bugs in firmware, etc...

Thanks but no thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

I have owned the Co-Star since Jan. of this year and can not recommend it.

Because of the fragile state of Google TV the unit falls short in addition to: overheating, continuously freezing-up, lack of software updates to fix bugs in firmware, etc...

Thanks but no thanks.

I agree.  I have owned the CoStar since its initial release, and absolutely HATE to even use it.  Its always locking up, wont play half the files on my server that my 6 yr old SageTv media extender will, and the browser is so slow and hideous, its not even worth loading.  What's worse, is I find an app on the google store on my smartphone that I would like to use on the CoStar, and its not available for the CoStar.  I would seriously avoid any incarnation of this box.  There are so many other good choices out there.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

I have owned the Co-Star since Jan. of this year and can not recommend it. As a matter of fact I just purchased a new Roku3.  Adding another co-star was out of the question.

Google TV is a ill-conceived platform.  The unit itself has loads of nice features; Qwerty keyboard built into remote, interaction with directv receiver and service, ability to serve as a browser, android apps.

Thanks but no thanks.

The CoStar LT doesn't use Google TV as a base. It uses an updated Vizio Apps platform.

If this thing had the sports apps like MLB.TV and NHL Gamecenter, I'd consider it.

Edited by Chuck W, 18 October 2013 - 10:22 PM.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

spam firewall