Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What are network services used for?

DirecTV2PC MediaShare network

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

I have a HR21-200 HD DVR and under network settings/network services I have it set to automatically assign the ports.  This used to work fine up until the last 2 software updates.  Now it never assigns the ports and if I try to set them manually it does but says it fails the connection test.  Since the last 2 updates DirecTV2PC and MediaShare have either stopped working completely or, in the case of DirecTV2PC, only after a RBR.  I was able to see my DVR on my network last night and when I checked today it had disappeared once again.

What are network services used for?  I know it isn't for the HD apps, YouTube or Pandora because these are all still working fine.  Anyone else having these same issues?  I would appreciate some suggestions as I have tried everything possible including resets, multiple RBRs and even powering down the DVR for a 1/2 hour.  I had no problems until the software update that included the HD apps.  Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,309 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

IIRC correctly, they are not used for anything.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

That's right. If DIRECTV and MediaShare aren't working, I'd look to find the source of those problems. Network Services won't do anything for you. If you find the problem in your network, they may turn on again fine, but that's more of a coincidence than a cause.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

I think the only confirmed use of network services is for voicemail phone systems for one carrier in the middle of the country somewhere....

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#5 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for the responses.  No problems in the network - everything else is working fine. Besides the MediaShare and DirecTV2PC issues Pandora sometimes stops after playing just 1 song.  A RBR usually resolves the issue but sometimes it takes more than 1.

Based on the fact that the problems started with the Hx2x, 0x0736 update I would venture to say the software updates are the problem.  Wouldn't be the first time DirecTV screwed up what was working fine just to add a new "feature".  Someone I used to work with in IT many years ago told me their are no software bugs - just undocumented features! :bang

#6 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

That's right. If DIRECTV and MediaShare aren't working, I'd look to find the source of those problems. Network Services won't do anything for you. If you find the problem in your network, they may turn on again fine, but that's more of a coincidence than a cause.

No problems in my network - thoroughly checked.  After another complete power down for 1 hr and a follow-up RBR DirecTV2PC came to life and worked fine.  When I woke up this morning the DVR was not listed on my network again.  I ran all of the diagnostics on the DVR including a disk scan and it is fine.  This software version appears to be the culprit as all other networked features such as YouTube, Pandora, VOD all work fine.

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

No problems in my network - thoroughly checked. After another complete power down for 1 hr and a follow-up RBR DirecTV2PC came to life and worked fine. When I woke up this morning the DVR was not listed on my network again. I ran all of the diagnostics on the DVR including a disk scan and it is fine. This software version appears to be the culprit as all other networked features such as YouTube, Pandora, VOD all work fine.

Your network may be fine by it self, but that doesn't mean something on it is causing the DIRECTV box to be unhappy. Did you disable upnp in your router?

#8 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Your network may be fine by it self, but that doesn't mean something on it is causing the DIRECTV box to be unhappy. Did you disable upnp in your router?

No - nothing has been changed at all and I did already check the router to ensure all looked OK.  The problems started with the 0x0736 update as mentioned.  I have over 25 years of IT experience including setting up networks so I know what to look for.  After a reboot the DVR will be recognized for DirecTV2PC services and will work but will disappear overnight.  The MediaShare server will show up on the network but the option never shows up under "Extras" anymore.  I am starting to wonder if there are memory leaks in the software that are the cause of the issue.  I know the DVR will keep downloading guide info, program/movie artwork, etc., and perhaps something is being overwritten leading to the problems.

I have read there are a lot of issues with Genies dropping off the network for no reason and problems with the whole-home setup.  I know all providers have their fair share of issues but I am starting to consider moving to Verizon FIOS as I do want to set up a whole home scenario but don't want all the hassles and added expense that go with DirecTV's setup.

NOTE - corrected as I meant to type memory LEAKS not links.

Edited by mrmojo, 21 October 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

No - nothing has been changed at all and I did already check the router to ensure all looked OK. The problems started with the 0x0736 update as mentioned. I have over 25 years of IT experience including setting up networks so I know what to look for. After a reboot the DVR will be recognized for DirecTV2PC services and will work but will disappear overnight. The MediaShare server will show up on the network but the option never shows up under "Extras" anymore. I am starting to wonder if there are memory links in the software that are the cause of the issue. I know the DVR will keep downloading guide info, program/movie artwork, etc., and perhaps something is being overwritten leading to the problems.

I have read there are a lot of issues with Genies dropping off the network for no reason and problems with the whole-home setup. I know all providers have their fair share of issues but I am starting to consider moving to Verizon FIOS as I do want to set up a whole home scenario but don't want all the hassles and added expense that go with DirecTV's setup.

Genies dropping off? Haven't seen that. Maybe minis sometimes but not genies.

And not sure what added expense there is for DIRECTV over Verizon to Go Whole Home Service. What are you referring too?

As for media share I haven't found any provider including FIOS to be worth a darn for that. Get a roku or Apple TV, etc.

And dtv2pc may just as easily be windows updates as Anything else. Who knows. It's not really supported anymore at all and won't be update again from what anyone can tell. They'd likely kill it but it would waste to Much time.

But what other company has that in the first
Place? FIOS doesn't.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

. They'd likely kill it but it would waste to Much time.

Very good observation.....   :righton:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Genies dropping off? Haven't seen that. Maybe minis sometimes but not genies.

And not sure what added expense there is for DIRECTV over Verizon to Go Whole Home Service. What are you referring too?

As for media share I haven't found any provider including FIOS to be worth a darn for that. Get a roku or Apple TV, etc.

And dtv2pc may just as easily be windows updates as Anything else. Who knows. It's not really supported anymore at all and won't be update again from what anyone can tell. They'd likely kill it but it would waste to Much time.

But what other company has that in the first
Place? FIOS doesn't.

read this:  http://forums.direct...thread/11252530

One of the many issues I have with DirecTV is that features like DirecTV2PC and MediaShare were working fine and now are not and all I hear is that they are not supported, etc.  Why even make them an option anymore if they are not going to be supported?

DirecTV's Whole Home service (Advanced Receiver Service) is $25 extra a month.

There are other issues I have experienced with DirecTV over the 13 years I have been a customer:

• Inability to receive local sub-channels without an AM21 which I have had to replace 3 times over the years after they just stopped working.  FIOS carries these sub-channels at no extra cost or additional equipment required.
  • Loss of HD signal during heavy rains and SD most of the time during the same.  I live in FL and we get a lot of rain during the summer.  Very frustrating that you cannot view a program because of this.  All of my signals are 97-100%.  Wouldn't have this issue with FIOS or other cable company as rain fade is a satellite specific issue.
  • Baseball and hockey games that I should be able to view in my area get erroneously blacked out and even calling DirecTV does not resolve it in time.  This happens a few times a year when the games are not carried on the main sports network channel but a special additional channel DirecTV sets up for that network when there are scheduling issues, i.e. Miami Heat is on Sun Sports (653) so the Tampa Bay Lightning game may be moved to 656-1, etc.  My friends with FIOS or Bright House do not have this problem.
  • Program guide gets slow over time requiring a reboot.
  • Seems like every time new features are added to a software release other issues arise.
  • Pandora will be working fine then the next day will only play one song and stop requiring a reboot.  This just began with the 0x0736 update.

Anyway these are just some of the reasons I am dissatisfied with DirecTV and will likely be dropping it once my current 2 years of free HD is up.

Edited by mrmojo, 21 October 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Sounds like you would be happier with another provider. You're quite lucky that your local provider carries subchannels... Mine doesn't and they don't have an OTA addon.

And yes, rain fade is specific to satellite but broken buried fiber is specific to telco providers. Everything has its ups and downs.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

Yup and lets not forget that Telcos and cableCos have powered devices on the streets.  if you have power but these devices dont, you wont get service.  This was the joke in my town right after we got hit with Irene.  any folks got their generators but could not watch TV.  folks with DirecTV were not affected in this regard.

I agree with Mr. Sweet, you will be more happy with FiOS.  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

Yup and lets not forget that Telcos and cableCos have powered devices on the streets.  if you have power but these devices dont, you wont get service.  This was the joke in my town right after we got hit with Irene.  any folks got their generators but could not watch TV.  folks with DirecTV were not affected in this regard.

I agree with Mr. Sweet, you will be more happy with FiOS.  

Some people, like me, also have an antenna and can still watch TV with a generator.  In fact when we were hit with 3 hurricanes in 2004 I was only able to find out what was going on by watching TV via the antenna as I could not get a signal from DirecTV due to the rain fade issue.

Nice try though... :rolleyes:

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,312 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

Some people, like me, also have an antenna and can still watch TV with a generator.  In fact when we were hit with 3 hurricanes in 2004 I was only able to find out what was going on by watching TV via the antenna as I could not get a signal from DirecTV due to the rain fade issue.

No radio, no cell phone service? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

Nice try though... :rolleyes:

Then why not switch if you are not happy with DirecTV....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

No radio, no cell phone service? 

Kind of hard to track a hurricanes direction on a radio or cellphone - watching the local news radar is a bit easier.

#18 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

Then why not switch if you are not happy with DirecTV....

As I mentioned I plan to as soon as my 2 yrs are up as I don't want to have to pay anymore than I have to.

Just to be clear I was happy with DirecTV for the most part for 13 years its just when you add up all of the issues with their service and their hokey whole-home solution it no longer looks like it is worth paying any more for their service.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...