Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I get an HD signal to a remote TV?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

My 211 with hard drive is currently directly wired to my main TV and is sending out an SD signal to five other TV's via a Channel Plus distribution system.  I am getting a new TV in the bedroom and want to have an HD signal there too.  I don't think I want to go with the Hopper/Joey system, so what are my options?  I have seen wired systems (two CAT5/6 cables running between the receiver and the remote TV) and I have also seen the wireless systems.  Is one better than the others?  Is one brand better than others?  Is there another option that I'm not thinking of?  I'm not interested in moving the receiver nor am I interested in getting another receiver since my 211 is now a DVR and I want to have access to the recordings on it in all six TV locations.

Len

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

FYI, I could be wrong... but I think you can get another 211 and then the EHD you use could be shared between them.  You can't share a 211-EHD with another series or vice-versa... but I thought you could have multiple 211 receivers that access/share common EHD content.

But to your actual question...  I don't have any experience with the wireless...  depending on how long a run of cable is required, though, wired might not even be an option to provide a quality HD signal to the other room.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for the reply.  The distance for hard wiring between the two would be under 30'.  The wireless distance would be about half that and have to go through one Sheetrock wall.  I looked in my attic the other day and just don't want to have to squeeze my butt into where I'd have to run wires.  I'm leaning to wireless but the user reviews of the various systems are all over the board as to their success.  I tend to think that a lot of the negative reviews are due to operator error. 

On your shared 211/EHD suggestion, I assume you are saying that I'd need to physically carry the hard drive between the two.  If that's what you meant, I don't want to do that.  That would get old very quickly.  If you are saying to share it some other way, I'd like to hear that.

#4 OFFLINE   jscudder

jscudder

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

I am getting a new TV in the bedroom and want to have an HD signal there too.  I don't think I want to go with the Hopper/Joey system, so what are my options?

Another option is to use component cables at the location of your 211 and run a HDMI cable to the bedroom.  I did this with my 211 which is downstairs in the family room.  A 30' HDMI cable purchased at Monoprice for less than $50 run through the walls and ceiling up to my kitchen and a 'Dish IR to UHF converter' for another $50 and now both rooms have HD and access to the same DVR.

As for sharing of the EHD DVR with two separate 211s on the same account, the only way is by physically moving the EDH.  That will also require powering down each receiver in the process, a time consuming ordeal. 

John

#5 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the reply John.  The component ports on my 211 are not being used at the moment.  It did cross my mind to use them to get the picture to the TV at the receiver's location thus freeing up the HDMI port.  However I thought I heard that using component cables would only give you 480p.  Is that true and will the difference be noticeable?

How about an HDMI splitter?  Do those things work well?  Is there one model that is the go to brand?

Len

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

In my shared-hard-drive scenario, yes you would have to carry it back and forth between rooms... so if that is out, you're back to your decision between running wires between the rooms OR investigating wireless.  I haven't had any wireless HD-video experience, so I can't recommend anything there.  Obviously that would be the easiest to implement... but I don't know how it costs compared to running cables either.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 ONLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,710 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

True component (Y-Pr-Pb) is capable of up to 1080i. You will also have to run wires for red/white audio - so you would need a total of 5 wires for a component video / stereo audio solution.

Perhaps you are thinking of COMPOSITE video (single yellow video, red/white audio) as your "component" .  That IS limited to 480i, but would require only 3 cables to your secondary TV.

If you really want "da bomb"  - consider a Hopper /Joey setup. A single coax to each piece, or maybe even using ethernet between the Hopper to Joey.

Edited by scooper, 20 October 2013 - 08:37 AM.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#8 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

Scooper - thanks for the reply.  I considered the Hopper/Joey system, but ruled it out.  Please tell me if my thinking here is correct.  What I am after is a second HD signal to a new TV I am getting for the bedroom.  If I get the Hopper with one Joey, I solve that problem.  However, it is my understanding that in order for me to get SD signals to my other four TV's and control the signals the Hopper is sending out, then I would need either a Joey at each location or a new remote at each location.  If that is true, then that is an expense that doesn't make sense to me.  Right now i am happy with the way everything works - just need/want to get that one additional HD signal.  I actually have more flexibility and the ability to record more of what I want to record with the two receivers I have now than what the Hopper would give me.

Len 

#9 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Why are there so many threads asking the same question??

please refer to either this thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...l/#entry3194745

or this one http://www.dbstalk.c...-2#entry3194762

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

Perhaps the search feature isn't as user friendly as it could be. I find that using a web search engine with a domain qualifier sometimes works better than the forum search engine.

Here's an example of a Google search term that limits its scope to DBSTalk and returns well over 3,000 results (not all of them relevant):
site:dbstalk.com split HDMI
Sometimes I suspect the TSes just can't think of an appropriate term to describe what they're trying to accomplish.

Other times, they just want to tell their tale of woe.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

I ended up buying this unit - http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My son has it and recommended it.  Worked well right out of the box.  Tested it on my farthest TV which is about 50 feet away and goes through one wall and the video and sound are just fine.  I've only been using it a few days, but so far so good.  It does just what I wanted it to do.

Len

#12 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

That sucker cost you 30 months of receiver fees for another 211.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#13 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

That sucker cost you 30 months of receiver fees for another 211.

Yeah, but after 30 months I'll be ahead of the game.  :)

Actually I wanted to be able still feed my current 211 programming to all the other TV's in the house.  Adding another 211 to make this TV independent of the rest of the house is not what I wanted.  I wanted to keep my HD signal at its current location and have an HD signal from that 211 at the remote TV.  Thought this was my best choice.

#14 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 990 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Hardware is always an investment.  If it solves the problem and you are not crawling through the attic and fishing wires down walls past firebreaks then it sounds like you made a good decision.  Let us know if there are any problems with the box. 

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

spam firewall