Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just ordered Genie - some questions

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MeSue

MeSue

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

I just put in an order for the Genie DVR. Intsallation is scheduled for tomorrow. We will be keeping our HR20 for at least a few months so we can watch the shows already on it. Both DVRs will be connected to the same TV since we only have one TV in the house.

The main reason we have never added another TV is because our house walls are all tongue and groove pine thoughout the whole house and we din't want to put holes in the walls of the other rooms. So my question is... will the Genie allow us to put a TV in another room without punching holes for the tuners? If so, how does that work? Does it requires some extra equipment?

And will our old DVR, the HR20, need tuners connected if we are just watching the recordings and not using it to record anything new? Is it possible to view its content through the Genie DVR?

Sue
DirecTV customer since 2000
HR20-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Yes, you should still have it connected to the dish. Its contents will be visible to the genie. You will have one cable going from the dish to a splitter, then to the dvrs from there.

You will be able to use a C41W in another room with no wires, but that's not available yet. Of course wireless is dependent on construction, distance, etc.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,716 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

1. There is a wireless Genie mini that is being tested on some markets, but trust me, you want to keep as far away from them as you can.  There is no way to connect the HR20 without any wires from the dish/splitters

2. You dont need to have the HR20 connected to the dish to watch recordings, but how long it will last, is unknown 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   MeSue

MeSue

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Thanks, guys!

Yes, you should still have it connected to the dish. Its contents will be visible to the genie. You will have one cable going from the dish to a splitter, then to the dvrs from there.

So if the HR20 content is visible from the Genie, I don't have to connect its HDMI? That will simplify back panel hookups a bit.

Sue
HR20-100

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

Thanks, guys!
So if the HR20 content is visible from the Genie, I don't have to connect its HDMI? That will simplify back panel hookups a bit.

as long as the HR20 is connected to the coax network and is kept active on your account, then yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

And if all you want to do is playback recordings already on there. You cannot do any management remotely (other than setting something to record).

You also would want to work on the remote codes, both use the same code by default if you use IR. I'd change the code for the HR20, there's one oddity on the -100 with an alternate code, but not anything you'll run into.

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,908 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

. . . . .

The main reason we have never added another TV is because our house walls are all tongue and groove pine thoughout the whole house and we din't want to put holes in the walls of the other rooms.

. . . . .

Got a basement?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   MeSue

MeSue

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

Got a basement?

Nope, and very little crawl space. Plus the floors are oak and we wouldn't want to put holes there either. No big deal. I don't need another TV.

The new HR44 is installed and now he's working on getting it to show the recordings from the old HR20.
Sue
HR20-100

#9 OFFLINE   MeSue

MeSue

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

He could not get the Genie to show the recording from our old HR20-100. He tried for about an hour and when he still didn't get it to work, he called another guy who said it was impossible because our HR20 was a first generation.

Do you guys concur?

Sue
HR20-100

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Not at all. Did he install a deca onto the HR20? That's the first unit they had working with Whole Home Service. Oh shoo I just realized what unit it is. The fastest way to hook it up is not deca. That one model has issues. I'd just put a bsf on it and plug it into your home network and it will work fine. To do it right he'd actually have to split the coax and hook one line directly to the sat one input and then hook the second line from the splitter to a deca and then sat 2 input. It's got a voltage problem where it won't drive an external deca like all the others.

#11 ONLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

Nope, and very little crawl space. Plus the floors are oak and we wouldn't want to put holes there either. No big deal. I don't need another TV.

The new HR44 is installed and now he's working on getting it to show the recordings from the old HR20.

A  few times I have pried baseboards off, and either grooved the drywall beneath to run coax, or I have used a router to put a groove on the back of the baseboard.

It's not fun, you still may not be able to get where you want to go, and going thru the wall to get to the baseboard on the back side can be a long slog thru more lumber.

FWIW, when ever I've done this, when I get the baseboard back on, everything looks great.

I have grooved a cement floor with a diamond saw blade a few times and grouted wires into the floor.  Once the carpet or floor covering goes on, no one can tell.

Can't recommend any of this, these are difficult jobs and the possibility of something going wrong is a consideration.  Also, going back and adding more wire (or fixing one melted in a lightning strike) isn't going to be any fun either.

Still, if you have to do it, you have to do it.

#12 OFFLINE   MeSue

MeSue

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

Does anyone know where I can get a back panel diagram on the HR44? I have a file of the back panels for all my equipment so when I get something new I can see what's what. I forgot to get a picture before it was installed yesterday. Edit: Nevermind… googled it. Also, is there any USB port in the front like the HR20 had? We used that just to power a cooling fan once in a while. Edit: duh… I found the USB port when I peeled off the front stickers and the door opened. New question: what is this black rounded dongle attached to the Ethernet port of my HR20?

Edited by MeSue, 20 October 2013 - 10:06 AM.

Sue
HR20-100

#13 OFFLINE   MeSue

MeSue

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Okay, ignore all of my last post. Bear with me… I am getting up to speed on all the latest lingo and tech.

The black dongle thing on the HR20 is a DECA, I guess, but it doesn't work for whatever reason. Maybe because there is no band stop filter?

So anyway, today I tried connecting the other Ethernet port to a power line adapter for Internet. Now I got both DVRs on the Internet and the playlist from the HR20 can be seen on the Genie! Wonderful. I spot checked a few shows and most everything plays except a few very old shows, which only show a black screen. What's up with that?

And are there any issues I should be aware of with this set-up as opposed to a DECA?

Now if I were to get GenieGO… it only needs to connect to my router, right? And with it, I will be able to view either DVRs content around the house on an iPad or laptop? So that would be like getting an extra (small) TV wherever I want it. Plus bonus of taking shows on the go. I doubt we would use out of home streaming since our upload bandwidth is the pits.
Sue
HR20-100

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

Read my post and you'll see why you couldn't get the deca to work right. This one unit takes a special setup of it.

#15 OFFLINE   MeSue

MeSue

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

Read my post and you'll see why you couldn't get the deca to work right. This one unit takes a special setup of it.

Okay, so it's a voltage problem and not just that the BSF isn't installed? That's what I wasn't sure on.

And is there going to be any issues having it the way I do now… both DVRs using Ethernet over power line adapters?
Sue
HR20-100

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Well technically the deca is also a bsf. You'd actually need a bsf as well as the deca to hook it up properly.

If you look around on this forum you'll fin a diagram on hooking up deca to your specific unit. Maybe search " deca HR20-100". I'll try and look latter.

As for how you have it hooked up now, well if I works for you fine but personallly I'd never allow a power line adapter into my home. I hate them with a passion and they are an awful idea
IMHO for so many reasons. But theoretically it should work. By when you start
Seeing breakup of video etc that will be why.

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Wait are both your units next to each other? Does you need Internet access right now for your system? If no just plug the Ethernet cable directly from your HR20 into your hr44 and be done. Or get a switch and use that instead if powering if they are right next to each other.

#18 OFFLINE   MeSue

MeSue

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

Wait are both your units next to each other? Does you need Internet access right now for your system? If no just plug the Ethernet cable directly from your HR20 into your hr44 and be done. Or get a switch and use that instead if powering if they are right next to each other.

Thanks for the tips.

I've never had a problem with the power line adapters. We use them in this room because the router is in another room and the nearby microwave causes problems with wireless. Believe me, I'd love to have a house with Ethernet in every room, but it ain't gonna happen here, and the power line adapters have worked well for us.

Yes, both units are next to each other and each is connected to a separate power line adapter. I could use a switch but then they would both be on one power line adapter, which would shrink the bandwidth, I think. Anyway, it's all just temporary until we watch the stuff on the old DVR. Having the combined playlist will make things easier, and we can still switch inputs for the few shows that won't play through the Genie.
Sue
HR20-100

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

Well technically the deca is also a bsf. You'd actually need a bsf as well as the deca to hook it up properly.

You dont need a BSF if you connecter the splitter AFTER the DECA

http://www.dbstalk.c...nd-stop-filter/

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

You dont need a BSF if you connecter the splitter AFTER the DECA

http://www.dbstalk.c...nd-stop-filter/

Yeah but post seven will give the op a visual of what he would need to do, and as you see, deca before the splitter isn't as good as after anymore, based on peoples feedback. Thankfully the op is just bidding his time on this and will retire this unit soon so not to big a deal either way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...