Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting Direct on Monday

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Well, I finally decided to go with direct. I currently have dish.They are coming out Monday morning to do the install.My oldest daughter, who lives at home is keeping her hopper and we are just getting  a genie for the living room. I noticed from reading about the genie is that you can go back a few weeks and watch a show you missed? Is this true? for example i missed ncis from 3 weeks ago, can i go back and watch it? I may have just misunderstood what they were saying. Can anyone verify this and if so how does it work? Thanks. Looking forward to Monday!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Spike

Spike

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Will you have two dishes set up then, one for Dish & one for Directv?  As to your Question, if you've recorded it and it is on your Genie, you can keep it there and watch it later.  There is no grabbing it off the satellite just because you missed it feature.  There is VOD though, which I'm sure Dish has as well. There are usually previous episodes there.  Is that what you mean?

Congratulations on your Directv setup.  I like the Picture quality so much better on Directv.

Edited by Spike, 18 October 2013 - 12:24 PM.

Holy Cow! The Cubs?

#3 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,293 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

I noticed from reading about the genie is that you can go back a few weeks and watch a show you missed? Is this true? 

yeah, not so much.  what is available on VOD depends on the network and the show you missed.  IMO HBO has the best VOD library available 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

thanks all for your answers, they make it confusing sometimes to understand exactly what they are saying.  spike- yes I will have to dishes, one direct and one dish. reason being, my daughters has her own shows which are to many to list, to record.With 2 hoppers it was not a problem.My father in law just got direct at his house and when i saw the picture I said WOW! it was def. alot better and clearer than my dish pic.So that pretty much made up my mind after a few weeks of going back and forth on my decision.My daughter will keep her Hopper and pay her own bill and my wife and I will have the genie in our living room for us.Another thing I liked was the fact i wont have to delete all the prime time shows the hopper records that we don't watch I can record just what we watch and with 5 tuners we wont have a problem.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

The "Catch up on past episodes, as far back as 5 weeks" feature and the "Enjoy a full HD DVR experience on every TV in your home, without needing a box in every room" feature have some relatively rarefied conditions.

As an example, the "without needing a box" condition can only be satisfied with an RVU enabled Samsung or Sony television.

In answer to your specific question, NCIS doesn't appear to be one of the television series that DIRECTV offers on demand.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

In answer to your specific question, NCIS doesn't appear to be one of the television series that DIRECTV offers on demand.

Those of us actually with DirecTV can see that there's currently 3 NCIS episodes offered on On Demand.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

Yeah, presently showing four episodes of NCIS now on CBS on demand (ch. 1002).

What's harsh talking about?

Also DIRECTV does not consider the small Genie mini-clients as actual receivers, which is why they claim RVU allows program reception without the need for a receiver at every TV whether that be through a mini client or an RVU enabled TV. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#8 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,293 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

Also DIRECTV does not consider the small Genie mini-clients as actual receivers, which is why they claim RVU allows program reception without the need for a receiver at every TV whether that be through a mini client or an RVU enabled TV. 

Doesn't DirecTV say "without a BOX in every room"  the Genie mini might not be a receiver, but is certainly a "box"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

Doesn't DirecTV say "without a BOX in every room"  the Genie mini might not be a receiver, but is certainly a "box"

Yeah, the conditions required on some of the Genie marketing claims make the likelihood that you can actually get away "without a box" or "with no cables" very very low. 99% of Genie customers are going to require a box with cables.

#10 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 397 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

The "Catch up on past episodes, as far back as 5 weeks" feature and the "Enjoy a full HD DVR experience on every TV in your home, without needing a box in every room" feature have some relatively rarefied conditions.

As an example, the "without needing a box" condition can only be satisfied with an RVU enabled Samsung or Sony television.

Tune to channel 1002, dude.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

spam firewall